ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

A nice suprise!

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Spearhead

A nice suprise!

Post by Spearhead »

When I dig up finds I give them a look over but never rub the mud off as it can take off any surface patination. This happened on Wednesday when I found this domed disc at about 6" deep with the Nox 800 on field 1, it came up as number 25.
My first impression was that it was a Victorian floral mount, nice but nothing special, it was muddy and I hadn't got my glasses with me. I was still on a high having found the Anglo Saxon decorated cruciform brooch and hour or so earlier that I reported yesterday in the ID section of the forum.
I stored it away and eventually went home with my cruciform brooch, a broken Charles 1st sixpence a Roman 3rd century bronze coin and a Medi purse bar. Not a bad day.
It was not until the following day that I washed and looked at my "lesser" finds from the day. That is
when it dawned on me that the Victorian floral mount wasn't a Victorian floral mount.

The most obvious design on the domed disc were the six human heads. I had not seen anything quite like it so I consulted Mr Google. Eventually I found a very close match on
The British Museum's on line collection , number 1970.0406.140

They described it as an Anglo Saxon 5th to 7th century AD applied copper alloy brooch with a repousse front plate showing six human masks, see image below, my version is in much better condition than the BM's one but mine has lost its back plate. It was excavated from grave 249 in the pagan Anglo Saxon cemetery at Mucking, a solid Saxon provenence. My brooch clearly displays the six human masks and the beaded decoration is different on mine too. Mine has a hole in the centre which may have contained a stone of some sort or may be a later adaptation?

I think on this match it is reasonable to date my find as from the same period and to associate it as the same type of find. Also the cruciform brooch came from the same field.
I wonder who the six men were, they were clearly recognisable to the people viewing the brooches.
I hope that you are as interested as my dog's toy parrot seems too be!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”