Pondfarm WW1 Museum, Belgium.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Bargeman

Pondfarm WW1 Museum, Belgium.

Post by Bargeman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Just outside of Ypres, and not for from the Menin Gate, is a small working farm, that is unusual as it has an Oak tree standing in its grounds, the only tree standing at the end of WW1, and full of shrapnel and bullets.
This is Pondfarm, named by the allies, it lies right in the middle of the worst of the WW1 battle fields. But it now houses a small metal detecting finds museum, run by the great grandson of the farmer who was there, working his farm on the front line while the battle and carnage carried on around him.
This is a fascinating museum, with no partisan preference, there are finds from all sides, there is sadness and humour all around, even the farm cat is called Adolf, and the largest find is a WW1 tank, I bet that gave a banging signal ::g

So in this special year commemorating 100 years of the end of the great war, if you happen to be in that area, why not book yourself in for a visit, I am sure you will not regret making a booking. Entry is free as it is not an official museum, and the young guy that built and runs it has a full time job, so has to make arrangements to open just for you.

http://www.depondfarm.be/en/introduction

I have been and it was fantastic, I will be going again real soon. ::g I shall add a couple of pictures to give you a flavour but I don't want to spoil? what you will find from a visit here, it is not clinical, it is not rushed, or behind glass, it is as real as you will ever find. ::g

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
XP Goldmaxx Power

Koala

Re: Pondfarm WW1 Museum, Belgium.

Post by Koala » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 pm

Looks interesting. ::g :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 am

Interesting certainly and well written-up Bargeman ::g Thanks for sharing ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am

This Pondfarm Museum was on TV, (early last year??), was the program called Relic Hunters?? and they were especially interested in the tank.

Looked a great collection that the family had built up over the years.

What was some what worrying was the large wire crate full of unexploded shells that he had found while working the land and then had to take back to by the farm buildings to eventually be collected by the bomb disposal people to be destroyed.

Evan

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 am

That wire crate is a Farraday cage, every farm in that area has one. The guy who owns the museum laughed when he told us that when they plow the fields, every once in a while they will hit a live one just wrong and there will be a large bang behind the tractor.

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
XP Goldmaxx Power

foundit

Post by foundit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Bargeman

Visited Ypres for the 2017 Remembrance Parade, iv`e a great uncle listed on the Menin Gate.
We stayed at the Hotel Kasteelhof`t Hooghe, its right next to the Hooge crater and museum.
What a great post this is looks like an amazing wee place you visited, anybody who gets the chance to visit the WW1 battlefields shouldn`t think twice about going, I went with a group from my local pub for three days it was a very moving experience and one that I plan to make again.

Foundit
minelab safari
garrett euro ace
garrett pro pointer

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers

Dakaras

Post by Dakaras » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Planning a trip end of September which is when my Grandfather won his DCM (100 years ago)Ill look this up, thank you for posting, ::g

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”