Wrong day to detect but some finds

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Radders58

Wrong day to detect but some finds

Post by Radders58 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 pm

I arrived at a church field at 9am this morning and started detecting , my first find was a fork and shortly after church goers started to arrive and immediately I was challenged by one of them asking me what I was looking for.
I told him I wasn't looking for anything specific and he then asked me if I had permission, on which I advised him I had. His reply was "I don't think so !!! ". I politely corrected him and he was on this way. later on in the morning I had a large audience of church goers and children which made me feel uneasy but I was happy knowing I had the right to be detecting.
These are some of the finds from the field and I also dug several more pound coins and a 2 pound coin and only one third done so looking forward to getting back next week but on a Saturday not sunday.

gedc1826.jpg
b
gedc1824.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Allectus

Re: Wrong day to detect but some finds

Post by Allectus » Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm

"and shortly after church goers started to arrive and immediately I was challenged by one of them asking me what I was looking for.
I told him I wasn't looking for anything specific and he then asked me if I had permission, on which I advised him I had. His reply was "I don't think so !!! ". I politely corrected him and he was on this way."

Don't you just hate nosey 'busy' planks like that ;;z ...I'd have told him where to 'get off' quick- smart! ::g

Be lucky mate

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Radders58

Post by Radders58 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:48 am

I think they have not seen a detectorist before, Strange creatures, like I said its Saturdays from now on to avoid them.

fred

Post by fred » Mon May 14, 2018 8:29 am

Well found. The field obviously has potential. ::g

Regardless of my 'rights' I generally prefer to detect away from more than a few people, even on beaches, because I find that it's more relaxing that way. It's not a good idea even to accidentally wind anybody up, especially in small communities where everybody knows everybody else (and are probably related to most of them - you've seen Deliverence! :D ). On a purely practical level you never know who the landowners are either. Extreme politeness under difficult circumstances is my usual order of the day - even when dealing with complete plonkers!

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am

Well done on your finds.
Know how you feel about having an audience.
Beach tend to be off there by 9am unless it`s away from people.
Inland always carry 2 copies of permission and photo ID . Don`t like detecting along the main road boundary.
If you found enough , you could always make a small donation to the Church roof fund, may even lead to more permissions. ( Do we need a prayer emoji ? )
Be Lucky ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 am

You proved to be a fantastic ambassador for us all, it reminds me when my land owner challenged a bloke detecting on his field, unawares of who he talking to the chap effectively told my land owner where to "get off".. all I can say is that the so called "detectorist^ was very very lucky that my land owner was having a good day!! Respect for others, and maintaining the goodwill of the general public is central to our hobby. Very well done, and looking forward to seeing more finds ::g ::g ::g
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 am

It's best to be polite to all but without taking any cr*p off them. I also prefer not to have an audience when detecting, as said it is just more relaxing. Good luck. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 am

One of the issues with handling challenges from people one doesnt know, is that one doesnt know :) :) The person may be the friend of the land owner, may be his brother/sister or whatever. So it always pays to be friendly and nice, to everyone, no matter what the circumstances.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Great Tower is a Scout camp up in the lake district.
Www.scoutadventures.orf.uk/centre/great-tower

Spent many weeks there as a kid on cub and scout camp. ::g ::g

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm

busterhamer wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm
Great Tower is a Scout camp up in the lake district.
Www.scoutadventures.orf.uk/centre/great-tower

Spent many weeks there as a kid on cub and scout camp. ::g ::g
Looking at the size of it, it must be a Woggle... :) ::g

Radders58

Post by Radders58 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Your probably right on that one buster, its to big to be a ring, this field is in Wigan along way from the lakes.
If I remember right the field was used be the scouts many years ago, so the lakes scouts must have been there at sometime.
Also Dave the Slave mentioned giving a donation to the church.
Well as part of my permission I agreed with the church to show them all my finds and told them they can have what they wanted. The pics on here are also the pics I send to them.
When I mentioned to them about any finds of value would be split 50/50 they told me that they would have to negotiate the sale not me, which I agreed to.

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm

The Woggle was probably purchased by one of the scout groups from the local church when on camp at GT, from what i can gather its quite an early one and i am sure the local scout group if still active would love to have this on display in there hut. ::g ::g

Radders58

Post by Radders58 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

I emailed the pics to the church warden on sunday night and asked him if he wanted any of the finds and told him the scout group can have the toggle but he requested I wait till I have detected all the field before they decide what finds are relevant to them.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 am

Radders58 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:48 am
I think they have not seen a detectorist before, Strange creatures, like I said its Saturdays from now on to avoid them.
You are quite right, we are the curiosity to the ignorant. I just try to avoid anyone at all whilst detecting. One more "Have you found any treasure?" just makes me cringe and inspires bad thoughts. :))

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed May 16, 2018 12:36 am

Hi Radders, That's fair enough I guess if the church just want one done deal at the end. By them doing the sale of any items saves you the hassle so that's good, that is if there are any finds of any significant value. That's just given me an idea of further angle of approach for a permission which I have just applied for. Hopefully your honesty will rub off on them and open further doors of opportunity. In my own experience some religious people can be really quite weird though. Hope it all works out well for all. ::g

Radders58

Post by Radders58 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 am

thanks Easylife,the field in question hasn't been around for a long time, maybe 80years+ and used for various activities over time so don't think I will find anything of great value, but you never know.
People loose all sorts of things.
Regards permissions, you have to think outside the box to get the land owner to give you permission. I have another permission on a farm and show him all my finds on the day and he takes what he wants, he looks forward to me detecting, also every now and again I get him a bottle of wine.

Return to “Finds - Stories”