Silver spree.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Easylife

Silver spree.

Post by Easylife » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm

I seem to be having a run on silver finds lately with silver on at least my previous five outings and today was no exception. Out on my pasture permission I decided to work an area in strips away from a hedgerow, going very slow and digging all iffys, there were many more targets than I had expected so only managed 8 x 150m strips, so just 1200 metres in 6 hrs. That may seem really slow but I wanted full ground coverage and more time was spent digging than walking with targets being every few metres. Most iffy targets came good when the top clod was removed. Even most grunty ones with a repeatable higher tone were non-ferrous next to iron.
As usual at least two thirds of targets were scrap copper and lead. The crotal bell was just the second target and sounded awful, it seems to contain more than a pea of iron but is full of solid dry clay. The pic does not do the first spindle whorl justice, I'll have to add another later. The oval buckle fell foul to the spade. The blob looking item in the middle is possibly the oldest find, a piece of cast bronze pot with decoration it seems, will post for an ID later. There is a small hollow pot leg off something. The bent copper alloy item could be quite old also, so another for ID later.
P1060549.JPG
Then the silvers started to arrive - a particularly distinct sweet full-tone reading 93 on the Deus raised hopes as it was typical of a decent bit of silver. At 10 inches deep a 2 inch diameter round artefact could be made out, it was the main part of a silver pocket watch. About two metres away was part of it's silver dust cover which has the markings:- P.S. - 102561 – 0.935 - and hallmarks of a small bear above two larger bears. The watch also has the hallmark of a small bear on the pendant. A scratchy faint high tone further away turned out to be the twisted up silver bezel, now a bit straighter. It's odd that the silver back did not turn up also.
It turned out to be a Swiss pocket watch made of 93.5% silver which dates between 1888 – 1907. It must have been quite a loss for someone. Already being very content with today's unexpected silver haul, there was a further find of a silver rim of a scent bottle, hallmarked Birmingham 1906.
P1060550.JPG
P1060551.JPG
Quite strangely some other copper alloy pocket watch parts surfaced and also a wristwatch, it's odd how themes can develop whilst detecting. I first thought I had found yet another pocket watch until cleaned it turned into a round brass padlock and is stamped “British Manufacture” with designs of facing lions and two anchors – so possibly nautical, but the hook was ferrous and is rusted away? Not sure of copper alloy item top right. There were also some rings with file marks, a copper alloy watch, some coppers, and some horse tack buckles.
P1060553.JPG
So a good enjoyable day in all, hope the find rate stays up further into the field but doubt it very much.
The great thing about this is that you sometimes find something that you previously knew nothing about, yet from the clues it holds and further research you learn something new and are wiser for it.
Here's some info on Swiss Three bears 935 and Swiss hallmarks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Easylife on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

beaubrummell

Re: Silver spree.

Post by beaubrummell » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am

Good heavens !! What a great session. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am

It is odd how silver seems to turn up on almost every session and then the drought sets in, normally just when I start to think I am getting good at this malarkey. On a four-week silverless run at the moment. Thanks for a good write up and sharing your experience.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am

Excellent session!
Isn't it true that when detecting options are limited it often means we concentrate on really getting the most out of the land we have available. It also makes one realise just how many iffy signals are actually good stuff but when land is plentiful they don't get attention.
I was struggling for land so had to concentrate on the verges at the edge of a field and the same thing happened.

Will be most interesting to see what the rest of it brings you.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 am

littleboot wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am
Excellent session!
Isn't it true that when detecting options are limited it often means we concentrate on really getting the most out of the land we have available. It also makes one realise just how many iffy signals are actually good stuff but when land is plentiful they don't get attention.
I was struggling for land so had to concentrate on the verges at the edge of a field and the same thing happened.

Will be most interesting to see what the rest of it brings you.
Well I only have old pasture so have learnt how to make the most of it by interpreting the iffy signals of which most are quite diggable. Using full tones it still takes a little while each session to become one with the detector, but then very little escapes investigation. There's unlikely to be any Roman or many hammered coins here but the occasional Medieval or older find keeps the interest and that is what appeals to me most.
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 am

Last pic middle top once looked like this. It maybe also had silvery plating but is made of thin brass so seems quite cheap. Not sure of the significance of those anchor designs though? But such a quality key. :))
Padlock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:46 am

Here's a better pic of the first spindle whorl in the first pic. Nothing particularly special but I just thought it had an appealing look about it, especially with the patina on the lead. As an afterthought I wonder if it has lettering around it? Perhaps another for the FLO.
P1060589.JPG
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 am

I enjoyed reading that,thank you. Some interesting items its odd how you get groups of items on different days. I seem to have a coins day,button day..etc the some days a bit of all sorts x;
I like the padlock and l would have the SW off to the FLO. Hope the silver keep coming up for you
::g Rob
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am

Could the item, bottom picture top right be part of a Gunters chain?
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:22 pm

f8met wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am
Could the item, bottom picture top right be part of a Gunters chain?
Great idea, but probably not. ::g
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”