Cruddy William 111 guinea coin weight

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
chip

Cruddy William 111 guinea coin weight

Post by chip » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Attended the lp dig today, managing 4 hours before the heat got to much for me.
The fields were ploughed and dry as a bone and very very quiet, I think I dug literally 4 or 5 targets the whole morning.

I took the new deus lite but it never left the boot of the car as I went with the AT max with Nel hunter coil instead. Run in Zero mode with zero discrim one bar off the sensitivity.

I think my first target was a large bent nail, second a hot rock, third was a small copper or bronze item, no idea what it is and my last target about 4” down was a William 111 guinea coin weight.

When I first got it out the ground after a quick wipe there was clearly a crown on one side with a word which I had an inkling was guinea or there abouts under it and a head on the other side and it was pretty thick and heavy. Mark I think it is from the metaldetectives suggested a coin weight So google imaged guinea coin weight and got a match. after getting it home and going at it with a tooth pick while running under the tap I think I actually made it worse.

It’s not much to look at but it’s a little piece of history and my first coin weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Swany

Re: Cruddy William 111 guinea coin weight

Post by Swany » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 am

Was wondering if it was in fact a coin as opposed to a weight.

chip

Re: Cruddy William 111 guinea coin weight

Post by chip » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Swany wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 am
Was wondering if it was in fact a coin as opposed to a weight.
It’s definatly a coin weight, it’s thicker than a modern pound coin and weighs 7.46g so it’s lost a little weight along with its detail.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Return to “Finds - Stories”