First Day of the New Season, What a Day! 9 Medieval Rulers!

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Fisher1266X

First Day of the New Season, What a Day! 9 Medieval Rulers!

Post by Fisher1266X » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Apart from our jaunt around the English countryside the other week, this was our very first survey of the 2018 - 2019 season.
This is a brand new permission that we came across during that trip.
The landowner said that we could have a look there and then but we had other landowners to see. Rob however decided we should have a look and see what happens.
The field was rolled but had lots of huge voids as the soil was quite dry and solid. Surprisingly we found a cut-half and a denarius of Vespasian in the hour we spent there so it looked to be promising.

We arrived at 8am and the weather was overcast with a southerly breeze but the forecast was said to stay dry.
The field had now been seeded with Oil Seed Rape (OSR) and was flat as a pancake and with no gaping voids at all. The soil was extremely dry and quite powdery although solid enough to give us confidence that depth wont be a problem.

The field was quite large (26-acres) so we had no chance of covering it all but we thought we'd give it our best shot. This involved the use of our tried and trusted "Zebra" search pattern and this resulted in us quickly finding areas rich in signals and surface finds.

Once we were satisfied where to start, we tightened up our search pattern and it wasn't long before we started to recover lots of Medieval pottery, artefacts and coinage.

In all, we recovered 11 Medieval hammered coins, a bronze stater, 6 Roman coins, several Medieval buckles; one of them zoomorphic, a Medieval casket key, spindle whorls, a Medieval thimble, Medieval skillet fragments, 98 fragments of Medieval pottery with 12 jug handles, Medieval belt mounts and fossils.
The Medieval coinage covered 9 different rulers! There was also a ferrous item that looks to be either a blade or spear as lots of Medieval horse shoes were found too. We were extremely lucky to recover 2 groats (one being Queen Mary Ist)
One item of interest was the base of a bottle with the name P Naide and a date of 1721 below it. Other modern items were a Gin bottle adornment, a cap badge, an aluminium bird ring, 2 ship halfpennies; one was in decent condition, the other badly corroded.

P1110614c.jpg
P1110617c.jpg
P1110618c.jpg

Two 13" X35 coils, one using V5.1, the other V5.2 and the third coil; the 9" HF coil flashed to V5.1. The programs used were GMP for the main part of the day with FAST on the extremely busy ferrous area and a quick blast on HOT just to see how it coped.
One of the V5.2 13" coils was set to TRACKING on all programs and and this setup was extremely successful in recovering a wide range of the finds on the day. This of course could have been luck, but on the whole, all three machines performed brilliantly.

​High Definition images of all the finds can be seen here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskJ2Bo1y

There was however a downside to the day, the landowner came over to chat to us and said "glad you're enjoying yourselves, I'll give you a ring next year when I've re-ploughed it and you can come back".
So, now we have to wait until September 2019 before we can return LOL!

Thanks for reading and looking ::g

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image XP Déus V5.2

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

GeoJon

Re: First Day of the New Season, What a Day! 9 Medieval Rulers!

Post by GeoJon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Good haul for one day! I've seen club digs find less.
2018 coin finds....
6 Hammies
0 Milled Silver
1 Roman

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm

That’s some haul mate , I especially like the groat , if you have to wait a year it looks like it’s going to be worth it ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Knocked it out the park!
Dream day
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Some wonderful finds there. Adore the buckle and my new weakness - a stater. And the glass bottle bottom is wonderful.

Great post 👍🏼
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 am

Well done, nice finds and good pictures. Can I ask what is a "tried and tested zebra search pattern"?
I have some large fields on one of my permissions and have been wondering where to start.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm

that stater in belting condition ::g

Ecobob

Post by Ecobob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm

What a great day you had! Well done.
Can I also add to the above request....... what is the zebra pattern ? - every day’s a school day !
Cheers.

brianc

Post by brianc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

And here was me expecting some medieval 12" measuring sticks from reading your subject line!

Great finds, very well done.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Lowland wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 pm
Knocked it out the park!
Dream day
::g
Cheers Lowland, we've certainly started off well. I always enjoy editing the photos as I can't remember everything that was found on the day and it's a pleasure to say "Oh yeah.... I forgot about that one!" lol
The dream will be if we can repeat it this season hahahaha!
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 pm
Some wonderful finds there. Adore the buckle and my new weakness - a stater. And the glass bottle bottom is wonderful.

Great post 👍🏼
Thanks Cath, as I've said in other posts, trust your machine ;)
skythepig wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 am
Well done, nice finds and good pictures. Can I ask what is a "tried and tested zebra search pattern"?
I have some large fields on one of my permissions and have been wondering where to start.
Ecobob wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm
What a great day you had! Well done.
Can I also add to the above request....... what is the zebra pattern ? - every day’s a school day !
Cheers.
Hi guys, we recognised that the "Union Jack" method was quite a good way to assess a field quickly but we thought this was not as efficient for what we wanted.
This system is really only suited to arable land as you can utilise the 24mtr tractor tracks used for spraying to keep you in a straight line and so that you know exactly where you've been if you return at a later date.

Here's the link to our blog article: https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/pa-ne ... rch-method

If there are anty questions, please ask, you can always pm me ::g
king of the swingers wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm
that stater in belting condition ::g
Cheers KOTS, we're hoping that the rest of the season is quarter as good! :))

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V5.2

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 pm

brianc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm
And here was me expecting some medieval 12" measuring sticks from reading your subject line!

Great finds, very well done.
Lol Brian, thanks for the comment, I sometimes wonder what to put into the title to reflect the day we have on occasions, but Saturday was quite a day indeed!
Thanks to some great ID's from forum members, I could assess the amount of Rulers encountered.

It shows that the field has been used for a very long period.

Again, we feel so fortunate in finding so many great items in one day!

Hopefully, this may spur on some of our members to keep at it when the going gets tough.

Best regards
Paul
Image XP Déus V5.2

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”