Always check your change.....

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
littleboot

Always check your change.....

Post by littleboot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am

OK so its been a slow old season for me thus far, what will rock hard ground and awkward crop rotation. Seem to have traipsed about endlessly for not a lot. I went onto a permission that, though liberally spread with 'Green' 8-| Waste it continues to give up good finds decent sized hammered coins and Papal Bulla and ampullae and onto some big (very) silver milled. Thus far this year I have managed to tease from the toot only a silver franc, a fede ring, a few assorted frustrating partifacts....and a handful of 19th/early 20th century loose change.
A week ago I had half an hour spare and had a tootle round it again.....it is roughly harrowed rape stubble but the stubble that clings on is rotten now so no problems. It used to be pasture/orchard and has lots of signs of occupation.
Out pops a Louis-Philippe 1839 1/2 franc piece. (Think silver sixpence in size and value). In view of the barren time I'd had recently I was reasonably pleased. In this neck of the woods Louis-Philippe coins don't tend to come up as often as other 19th century royals. So filled a bit of a gap in my collection but, I assumed, not really worth anything to anyone else.
I had a look at it back home and looked in my little book and found...quelle surprise....that it was worth rather more than I thought. For the year BB (strasbourg) minted coins are rare. They only minted 6884 so I daresay there are not many of the blighters still around. So for normally circulated the value can be up to 300 quid! This isn't a bad example compared with some I have seen. I don't think the book quotes a price for anything better than this grade so I suppose most still around are dug examples like mine.
So....the moral is...check your mintmarks and other aspects of your coins thoroughly and don't assume anything. Seemingly ordinary milled silver can have a value more than its weight in gold. Not that I really understand the mind-set of numismats but there you go.

On rough harrowed rape stubble in a very trashy area. About 7 inches. Picked out from all the debris with the GMP and its peerless (peerless I tell you!) recovery speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

sweepstick47

Re: Always check your change.....

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am

Nice one::g I agree, good old Goldmax! Nicely done. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:41 am

Nice tale, nice coin. So, will you sell it? :-/

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:41 am

I found a Lizzie sixpence with a similar story. It was quite rough but a rare date so still has some value as the quantity made was so low.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 49 Hammered

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Yep Man, I will probably sell it. Had to get another car last month as ours was uneconomic to repair for the French MOT. (The garages here make UK ones look amateur when it comes to ripping you off for repairs.Its the only way they can pay their eye-watering tax bills.) So, although I don't usually sell my finds sometimes it is needs-must. And as I said, I'm not into the numismatic thing personally in that way so it isn't particularly special to me per se ...just a 19th century milled sixpence...and someone else will doubtless appreciate it more than me (and hopefully pay for the privilege. :) ).

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm

A lovely story.

I never think to check the values of coins I find, but maybe I should now!. Especially as in Spinks I have often noticed the difference a mintmark makes to the value.

The other day I was looking at the Royal Mint site and the number of decimal coins they produce each year and it surprised me that some years even the very common in circulation coins are not produced, while in other years relatively small numbers so to a collector these would be worth more.
Due to a thread the other week I have been checking my change and still have not seen a single 2018 coin!! (might they be worth more in the future?).

Re "Not that I really understand the mind-set of numismats but there you go." I would not worry about it as I am sure that numismats who during the winter are sat in the warm and dry do not understand the mind-set detectorist walking around in cold wet muddy fields and probably finding nothing!.

Evan

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Good post littleboot, and Nice find ::g
Do they have the blight of green waste in Normandy also then :-/ ;;z

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Great post and good advice, LB ::g

It's so easy to miss potential rarity/value if you're not up to speed with what's what. I found an 1860 Victoria penny a while back and it was only when someone recently mentioned their potential value that I removed it from the "odds & ends for cleaning practice" section.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Victorian silvers are always worth checking in terms of date/rarity, some are worth silly money, even humble sixpences and shillings.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:20 am

A nice find there LB. Sounds like my land but without such good finds as yet! :D ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 pm

I am sure the 'stuff' will make its presence felt in time EL. The potential of that site is just too good for it not to happen. Though I am sure it will be something better than a vicky sixpence, mint mark notwithstanding. I will be cheering when it does.
Yes TP....I have been working through my Vicky silver (and the stuff from France which is contemporaneous such as the aforementioned Louis Philippe and old Nap III and the dodgy hiatus bits inbetween. Nowt else so far. Usual service has been restored and the coins I have in my draw are...apart from this one example,,,the most numerous, common and therefore cheap example in existence!! :))

fred

Post by fred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Any Napoleon Bonaparte coins is half readable condition go for silly money on Ebay. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm

A nice find, im starting to find olddr stuff now at last, is france any easier for permissions,

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:57 pm

France is a doddle for permissions. Total and absolute doddle and undetected the vast majority of it. I have about 8000 acres and that could quite easily double if I want. Finds, though often good, tend to be from wider spaced hot-spots than back home though. Some big undetected fields can have beep all on them and that would never happen in the UK.

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm

8000 acres sounds good, ive a farm in the familly, but alot of the land around it is old coal mine opencast, so i dont know if that makes a difference to finds, but i usually go further affield for permissions, anyway nice find :)

Return to “Finds - Stories”