A Lovely Day Out on a C13th Medieval Village - Full Story

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Fisher1266X

A Lovely Day Out on a C13th Medieval Village - Full Story

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm

We had a great day out on a freshly drilled DMV site on Sunday.

Here are some of the coins recovered:

P1110833c.jpg

Some lovely artefacts including Roman items were also recovered and these, along with full HD images of the coins can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskG5XfbT
Only two of the coins were "full" units; a farthing and I believe a half-penny!

I haven't had time to ID any of the coins as of yet but if anyone would like to have a go, please do using the larger images on Flickr ::g

The full story with settings and how we got on using V5.1 and V5.2 on our second outing of the season can be read below. The results may be a little surprising!

We visited a field we'd been to a year ago resulting in several recordable Roman artefacts and coins being recovered.
The field had been drilled with Spring Barley and was just showing at about two inches in height.
Unfortunately, the field had only been cultivated and not ploughed and this was reflected in the lack of finds.
We tried the field adjacent to the first one and this was exactly the same.

Cutting our losses, we decided to visit another permission of which all the fields had been drilled, some cultivated and the others ploughed.
The cultivator on this particular farm has been designed to disturb the soil up to a minimum of 8 inches.
The field we chose was indeed cultivated but we knew that there are lots of cut Medieval coins and small artefacts there. Also, this field has been the target of nighthawkers due to the high level of coinage there. The bad news is that most of the full coins and larger artefacts have been stolen over the years therefore leaving behind the smaller, harder to find items such as the cut-quarters etc.

The site was strewn with hundreds of fragments of Medieval pottery dating between the C12th and C14th centuries.
Nine Medieval coins were recovered along with some lovely artefacts from the same era. One of the buckles was zoomorphic and one we'd not seen before. Of the nine Medieval coins, only two were "full" coins, these being a half-penny and a farthing.
There is a very small Roman presence here too and this was in the form of a few Roman coins and 2 fibulae.

Two of the machines were fitted with the 9" HF coil using V5.2 with the third machine donning the 13" X35 coil and operating under V5.1.
The 13" X35 machine picked out all of the cut-quarters as well as three other hammered coins ending up with six Medieval coins! This is testament that the large coil will easily detect cut-quarters perhaps dispelling the myth that large coils "miss" small targets.

The remaining three hammered coins were picked out with the 9" HF coil.
Strangely, the third machine with the 9" HF coil (V5.2) didn't pick out any hammered coins! This is even though we surveyed in exactly the same way we do on every site, that is three-abreast, that part of the 18ft swathe didn't pass over any hammered coins at all.
When we reach the end of a pass, it is usually staggered, resulting in the return pass being in a totally different position! So, if I was on line 1 on the first pass, I might be on line two or three on the next one. This again shows that you've got to "walk over it" to find it.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fisher1266X on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Image XP Déus V5.2

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Lowland

Re: A Lovely Day Out on a C13th Medieval Village

Post by Lowland » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Lots of lovely cut quarters—very satisfying stuff.
The Flickr images are excellent
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Paul, well done.
Great write up and photos.
The potters thumb prints have been preserved for eternity in the 2nd and 3rd row of photos from the bottom. Always something different to see.
Cheer ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Hi Paul, well done.
Great write up and photos.
The potters thumb prints have been preserved for eternity in the 2nd and 3rd row of photos from the bottom. Always something different to see.
Cheer ::g
Dave.
Dohhhhhhhhhhh! I forgot to mention the finger prints as I thought that was the best bit of the day =)) What a dope!!!! rl; rl; rl;
Image XP Déus V5.2

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Very nice. Love the thumb print and the different coil configuration report. ::g

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Barbarous radiate, Denarius fragment?, Mark Antony Legionary Denarius & a fourrée(bronze core) denarius.

Scottish William I(the lion) short cross & stars halfpenny, joint moneyers Hve/Walter - Edinburgh & Perth. Class 1a(late)/1b Henry II shortie, moneyer Henri/Henri Pi - London. John or Henry III class 5-7 shortie, Walter - Lond/Cant, class 5 Henry III long-cross, class 5-7 short-cross farthing.

Stephen 'Watford' type farthing, short-cross farthing, Edward III London halfpenny & an Edward IV London halfpenny.

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Shame the soil has not been so kind to the finds, but still, well recovered and saved ::g

did you mean Winter Barley rather than Spring Barley? (depends when sown) ::g ::g

See, I was paying attention...lol

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

A fantastic day out there Paul, and a very scientifically delivered report, that said I would question some of the conclusions .. 3 machines, used by three operators, means that conclusions (that stand up to statistical or scientific rigor) can not be made with any degree of certainty ...
I would love v5 to be better than v4, and in turn V4 to be better than V3, but for me (and I guess the rest of the scientific community) field findings dont deliver results that can be reliably acted upon.
While we are here ... I dont buy into the seemingly endless videos of supplier sponsored diatribe from Barry, Harry, and every other Sally telling us how good the latest version is, based on the contents of their finds pouch.. maybe its just me?
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Allectus wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Barbarous radiate, Denarius fragment?, Mark Antony Legionary Denarius & a fourrée(bronze core) denarius.

Scottish William I(the lion) short cross & stars halfpenny, joint moneyers Hve/Walter - Edinburgh & Perth. Class 1a(late)/1b Henry II shortie, moneyer Henri/Henri Pi - London. John or Henry III class 5-7 shortie, Walter - Lond/Cant, class 5 Henry III long-cross, class 5-7 short-cross farthing.

Stephen 'Watford' type farthing, short-cross farthing, Edward III London halfpenny & an Edward IV London halfpenny.

A ;)
Tone, cheers for the time taken to ID the coins, much appreciated. I've literally just got back from a funeral.
Steve_T wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 pm
Shame the soil has not been so kind to the finds, but still, well recovered and saved ::g

did you mean Winter Barley rather than Spring Barley? (depends when sown) ::g ::g

See, I was paying attention...lol

Regards Steve
LOL Steve, yes Winter Barley, I was in a rush to get to a funeral rl;
Glad you were paying attention haha!
Image XP Déus V5.2

Oxgirl36

Re: A Lovely Day Out on a C13th Medieval Village - Full Story

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Nice finds there Paul ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 4 so far in 2018 h;@

Return to “Finds - Stories”