Chariot & Horses Republican Denarius

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Dave The Slave

Chariot & Horses Republican Denarius

Post by Dave The Slave » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Not found anything worth posting on here, on my last few trips.
Mainly Victorian & WW2, bullets, cartridge cases and bits of Mills bombs but they are interesting to me. Special thanks to Simon, ( MilitaryMetalMagnut ) for all the identification help he has given me.
Did not go detecting last week due to work, so yesterday was looking forward to getting out. Had identified an area at the far end of the permission, that had a lighter patch on overhead photos.
The temperature was around 5c max but with a breeze pretty cold, signals were very few, found my 1st coin and only the 3rd in 8 visits, heavily encrusted 17mm diameter but will need to be cleaned.
Got to the area I wanted to search, heavily overcast, on and off brief drizzle showers but not enough to get you soaked. Started a grid nothing found, turned 90 degrees and started another grid further into the field. Saw a rainbow about a mile away, thought that`s where I should be and then thought if I was the other side of the rainbow it could be in my field.
After 2 hours of trawling up and down the OSR stubble and hardly any signals, had a nice 85/6 on the 400i, approx. 3" down a coin and I could make out a Chariot and Horses, had to be Roman but could not make out an Emperor on the other side. Poured a little water over it and could see Silver, then poured a little water on the ground as a Thank you . Just then the sun appeared from behind the clouds for around 5 minutes and it was like my area was in a spotlight, the warmth was instantaneous and I felt like I was glowing like the kid from the " Ready Brek " advert years ago.
Finished that grid and was time to make my way back towards the car. Found one more coin appears to be Roman, 17mm and heavily encrusted.
Only around 12 items dug in 3 and a half hours, couple of Bronze pellets , a fluted tube, what looks like part of an old bell, drawer knob and others.Apart from the Rodney Cook rally, the only time I have found more than 2 coins on an inland session.
So now I needed to know what the Silver Roman was, drove back 50 miles at Warp Factor 5, the speed limit.<br/>
Finally home, fired up the old PC, normally takes at least 10 minutes and off I went. Tapped in the L.IVLI legend I could clearly see and was astounded to find it was a Republican Denarius.
Checked the PAS Database and the nearest match was, <URL url="https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... <LINK_TEXT text="https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/240741">https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /URL>.<br/>
Here is my coin, 20mm x 18mm x 3.5g,<br/>
This may well be the oldest and best coin I ever find.
Thanks for reading and good luck all ::g
Dave
Last edited by Dave The Slave on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Steve_T

Re: Chariot & Horses Republican Denarius

Post by Steve_T » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Centre looks like a half o a crotal bell ::g

Found similar and ID'd as

Nice haul and a bit of silver ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Saki

Post by Saki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Brilliant Dave. Reading your post, you found a roman.. and you almost fleeted over it. I thought to myself. Id be delighted with a Roman :)) :-/ ... Then read on to the end of your post " warp speed etc."

Fantastic find ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Wowed Dave that’s a beautiful coin...richly deserved.
Chuffed for you.
Warp factor 5 :D
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Thats a special find that Denarius, considering its date well before the Romans came to Britain, it trump's my silver denarius of 87BC with horse and chariot

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Nicely played, Dave ::g An absolute belter of a coin.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Along with others, I absolutely love that coin Dave! Great condition and a special find. Well done ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:53 pm

That coin is a super find Dave. Not only is it special age-wise and in great condition...but I just love the design. So totally evocative of the period. The story of how that coin got there must be amazing.
It all goes to show that Percy Verance is the best buddy to have along on detecting trips. Without him with you finds like this will be missed. Your methodical approach has paid dividends as has research. Totally in awe of the commitment it took to make what is quite a long trip to your permission and keep the faith when nothing much was coming up. You have to love what you are doing to do that and its only right it should reap rewards.

I think there is a fighting chance you could be posting some Celtic stuff on here from that site. So you and Percy had better Carry On Digging!

The bit of bell looks like an early rumbler bell....I have one of similar construction from a site where I only get 16th century stuff.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 pm

What a beautiful coin. Amazing to see how well it has fared compared to the grotty hammered. No doubt about it, the Romans knew how to make a good coin.
It’ll take a bit of beating that’s for sure.

Bes99

Post by Bes99 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Very nice coin, well done ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Now, as has been well documented, I am not a lover of all that Roman coin stuff as most is pretty grotty, poor quality and generally disappointing. However your coin is another one of those exceptions- it’s a beauty l;.

Congratulations ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 pm

:) To be fair OG anything over 1600 years old is entitled to be a bit grotty. :D
And it IS the later stuff that is liable to be grotty. Anything more than 1800 years old is much more likely to be in good condition. It comes don to metal content of course. I get a lot of copper alloy hammereds here in France and finding a good one is a red letter day indeed. I have probably found a dozen good ones out of well over a thousand copper blanks of nothingness.
Fast forward a thousand years and we all know that Vicky pennies will be in far better nick than more recent attempts at coins. That is because they usually are already. In a thousand years time I doubt anything at all will remain of any decimal coins in the ground.
We are going the way of the Romans. History repeats and all that. That is what metal detecting reinforces.
I keep thinking I am going to find Republican coins in France....given that it was a Roman Province for so much longer. But so far the vast bulk is 2nd century stuff and a few later bits. Would hope when I finally crack this it is half as good as Daves. ::g
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Enjoyed reading that and thanks for sharing . Top marks for sticking it out and eventually being rewarded with the Republican Denarius , well worth the 100 mile round trip , that is some dedication so well done and well deserved .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:59 pm

You can't beat a pre Emperor bit of silver mate,lovely coin,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”