Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi all
I hope it’s as sunny with you as it is here....
Had the chance to take middle sprog out for a wander
Up a wood on the edge of a permission.
Took the Garrett and nel snake.
Would have been rude not to :D
So rooting about amongst the old tree stumps and-
Good signal-two coins and an amazed kid plus me.
One lovely 1919 sixpence and a 1911 ha’penny in one hole.
I have to say the mini nel coil and the Garrett are a great team
For uneven /difficult ground.
Cheers ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lowland on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.


Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
fred
Posts: 9838
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2160 times
Been thanked: 5632 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by fred » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Nearly a hundred years ago some poor kid probably lost his pocket money there. Well found anyway. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Nearly a hundred years ago some poor kid probably lost his pocket money there. Well found anyway. ::g
Cheers fred....I have been thinking about how they ended up where they did.
You’re probably right,poor kid indeed.
Tempered by the big cheesy grin number two bairn was wearing
When it appeared ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
fred
Posts: 9838
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2160 times
Been thanked: 5632 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by fred » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm
fred wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Nearly a hundred years ago some poor kid probably lost his pocket money there. Well found anyway. ::g
Cheers fred....I have been thinking about how they ended up where they did.
You’re probably right,poor kid indeed.
Tempered by the big cheesy grin number two bairn was wearing
When it appeared ::g
Those late milled silvers are often a daymaker for me too. :D
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 2100
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2346 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by SuperRed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm

A nice little sixpence LL, and I agree with Fred on the milled silvers. There is an article on 'Tanners' in this month's Treasure Hunting. Glad your young'un is getting the bug ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
Ladybird66
Posts: 1881
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 1340 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Always nice to hear of the little ones getting involved. I bet his face was a picture when Treasure came up, especially silver treasure. Something he’ll always remember. :D

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Nearly a hundred years ago some poor kid probably lost his pocket money there. Well found anyway. ::g
Fred you’ve got a short memory. I was only getting 6p on a Saturday when I was a nipper back in the 50’s then I had to earn it by doing some shopping. Did some for my Nans friend as well and all she gave me was a choice of the toffees out of her chocolates.

Ah those were the days eh !

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:00 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm
Lowland wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm
fred wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Nearly a hundred years ago some poor kid probably lost his pocket money there. Well found anyway. ::g
Cheers fred....I have been thinking about how they ended up where they did.
You’re probably right,poor kid indeed.
Tempered by the big cheesy grin number two bairn was wearing
When it appeared ::g
Those late milled silvers are often a daymaker for me too. :D
I’ve gone all day in a field and found less coinage :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Saki
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 905 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Saki » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Nice one Lowland. Any Silver day is a great day ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."


User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10175
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4038 times
Been thanked: 4461 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Wow you’ll be getting the kids out, going detecting and earning brownie points with your lady in no time if you keep this up ::g ‘darling do i have to bring them out detecting again?’ ;)

Nice finds, bet he loved it :D ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 18 8=ypr

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Quick clean up and a ‘treatment’ later.
::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:53 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm
A nice little sixpence LL, and I agree with Fred on the milled silvers. There is an article on 'Tanners' in this month's Treasure Hunting. Glad your young'un is getting the bug ::g
Was a great surprise ::g
Thanks for the article tip superred,
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm
Wow you’ll be getting the kids out, going detecting and earning brownie points with your lady in no time if you keep this up ::g ‘darling do i have to bring them out detecting again?’ ;)

Nice finds, bet he loved it :D ::g
I am that transparent OG >:P
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10175
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4038 times
Been thanked: 4461 times

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm
Wow you’ll be getting the kids out, going detecting and earning brownie points with your lady in no time if you keep this up ::g ‘darling do i have to bring them out detecting again?’ ;)

Nice finds, bet he loved it :D ::g
I am that transparent OG >:P
I would have described it as clever..... *(:)#

EDIT: you could try the lemon trick if you want it super shiny and clean then it will be great for adding to the Christmas pudding/ cake then too ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 18 8=ypr

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6704 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Quick walk one hole silver 1919 sixpence

Post by Lowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 pm
Lowland wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm
Wow you’ll be getting the kids out, going detecting and earning brownie points with your lady in no time if you keep this up ::g ‘darling do i have to bring them out detecting again?’ ;)

Nice finds, bet he loved it :D ::g
I am that transparent OG >:P
I would have described it as clever..... *(:)#

EDIT: you could try the lemon trick if you want it super shiny and clean then it will be great for adding to the Christmas pudding/ cake then too ::g
Chortle
:))
It’s been in lemon juice bicarbonate and a ten second bleach bath.
With a tinfoil chaser-kids loved the science.
At 45 I canna risk any tooth damage from puddings -
:-SS
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”