Another interesting PAS ID

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Spearhead

Another interesting PAS ID

Post by Spearhead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm

I found this in a ploughed field close to a site which is believed to be the site of the Celtic garrison town of Lycanburgh.
When I studied it, after washing, it was clear to me that it represented a Ram headed serpent with a phallic tail. The rams horns are clearly visible curled either side of the ram's head.
It is made of a copper alloy and there is no indication of any fixings on the reverse.
Researching it a bit further I typed Ram headed serpent into Google and informed that the ram headed serpent was a companion to the Celtic God Cernunnos.
Could it get any better? An apparent Celtic find found near to a Celtic garrison town in an arable field away from close civilisation.
I enthusiastically showed my FLO and after three months it was returned as not recordable as it is a 19th century candle snuffer!! I really cant see how it would work as a candle snuffer? I queried the ID refering to the rams head and the phallic tail and was told that the visual interpretation was subjective and probably didn't represent either.
If their ID is correct I have learned something but I have not been offered or seen any collaberative back up to this ID which would have taken away my concern about their ID, if they are wrong then wouldn't it be a great shame if a new piece of Celtic art has been lost.
Hey Ho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: Another interesting PAS ID

Post by fred » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Obviously we only have the photos to go on but stylistically it doesn't look at all Celtic and has only a passing nod at Roman. It also looks to be brass rather than bronze but unfortunately the soil hasn't preserved the patina so I can't be sure. I don't know about it being part of a candle snuffer (the scissors type I presume?) but from what I can see I would have guessed fairly modern too. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Your comments are appreciated Fred.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm

I can see where they are coming from. Similar to this. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Easylife wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm
I can see where they are coming from. Similar to this. x;
An excellent spot Easylife, now that is something that makes sense in my eyes. Well done and thanks for solving my concerns. ::g

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”