1st Detecting Trip of 2019

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Dave The Slave

1st Detecting Trip of 2019

Post by Dave The Slave » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Over the Christmas period, needed to carry out a must do repair to the coil fitting on the 400i.
Last time out had noticed it was falsing at the end of virtually every swing..
Had this previously and had done the coil lug nuts up tighter, too tight as they were now distorted and the coil was flopping around like a kid doing that flossing dance, ( imagine a Hoola Hooper without the Hoop ). New bolt, nuts and washers added, coil now tickety boo.
Arrive at destination and decide to detect the actual track, leading from farmyard that I had done either side of on previous visit. Up then down and not a lot to show for 2.5hrs, infact the highlight was the part buckle, only ever found around 5 buckles and the bullet, which was undamaged.
Completing the track have around an hour left, so move around 10 yds away and follow the tractor tracks, lots more signals and then finally a coin after 3hrs, condition very poor at 28mm another Georgian Halfpenny, would love to find an old Penny for a change. Lots of shottie caps coming up and a couple of valves from I assume tyres. Approaching end of field and alarm goes off on phone, which means time to head back to car, which I allow 15 mins for.
Upon turning around 1st sweep and a signal gives me virtually on the surface the largest Roman coin I have dug for 2 years, 26mm x 24mm. The bust of the Emperor is very pronounced and is nearly as thick as the actual coin, weighs in at bang on 0.2oz or 5.7g.
Continue back and when nearly there a final coin , again 28mm Halfpenny not much detail, although it has been stamped with what appears to be IH.
In all 40 items dug including 3 chunks of plough not photo`d. Very quiet for most of the session but pleased with the end result.
Next visit will stay on the same side of the track and work my way away from it using the tractor line.
Cheers ::g
Dave

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

geoman

Re: 1st Detecting Trip of 2019

Post by geoman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm

I have only managed one trip so far and i can match you on the rubbish, but you are way ahead of me already with the shotties.

Saki

Post by Saki » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Brilliant. And well done on the roman ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Great story and good to see an account of the realities of a days detecting . You beat me too with shottie caps but they give off a great signal which gets the heart racing .Yet to find a decent Roman coin , well done and well saved .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:33 am

Tough ground, but the Roman is a promising sign of hopefully many more. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”