My 1st day od detecting, I may need to open a scrapyard

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
TheAndyA

My 1st day od detecting, I may need to open a scrapyard

Post by TheAndyA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Today I had my first ever day out detecting.

I bought a used Garrett AT Pro on Monday and yesterday I got permission to detect a small grass paddock, that's now part of the property owned by someone who's bought the nearby farmhouse. I'm told that the paddock was last plowed around 30 years ago.

I used the Pro Zero mode almost all of the time, although I did try adjusting the Iron Disc setting to around 30 at some points. I was there from 10am to around 4pm, I'd guess that I covered less than 40% of the field. I didn't want to rush things and perhaps miss something.

I dug lots of Iron today, heavy thick stuff, usually several inches down. I did find the signals confusing though. Sometimes I'd get the low tones, sometimes the mid tones, often registering at 53. Sometimes though, they show in the 70's and 80's . . . it was still Iron that I was digging up.

2 or 3 times though, I'd get a nice high pitched tone and that got me rather excited. Sadly, they turned out to be either Tin foil, or what I'm guessing were a couple of tubes that held some sort of ointment.

I did get three buttons, probably not very old, but one of them had some goldish looking decoration to it. I really did enjoy the day, although my arm/shoulder/neck isaching this evening.

I've added a photo below, if you click on it, that should take to to the larger version on my Flickr account. x;

Day1
by Andy Aveyard, on Flickr

www.youtube.com/c/terraenglandia
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

fred

Re: My 1st day od detecting, I may need to open a scrapyard

Post by fred » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm

That looks like a fairly standard beiginners haul. You'll be posting all the gold and silver in about a fortnight! :D Best of luck ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 pm

That's how we all start, you learn the signals and noises, you will still dig things like chains nails and buttons, they can fool anyone

Upwards and onwards, it's not there to find next time, you'll soon be on the god stuff

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Steve_T wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 pm
That's how we all start, you learn the signals and noises, you will still dig things like chains nails and buttons, they can fool anyone

Upwards and onwards, it's not there to find next time, you'll soon be on the god stuff

Regards Steve
fred wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm
That looks like a fairly standard beiginners haul. You'll be posting all the gold and silver in about a fortnight! :D Best of luck ::g
Cheers Fred and Steve, I'll keep my fingers crossed. ::g
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

fred

Post by fred » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 pm

A field is never really detect out after the first swing through. You might find it productive to go over the bit that you've already done, perhaps from a slightly different direction and listen out for the smaller sounds. It is also an opportunity to play with the settings and vary the swing speed and the amout that the swings overlap. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I found some of the sinals confusing, registering low Iron, but higher pitched sounds around the edges. What would cause that?
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Looks like you've been round mine :))

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Regardless of the machine you use it will take some time to get used to what its noises mean. It can be quite subtle differences...a bi of a blip, of a grunt or whatever will give away that its likely to be junk. BUT...it isn't an exact science and it pays to dig as much as possible early doors to practice.

You seem to have an ideal place to start....it isn't too overwhelming in size and you can get to know it quickly rather than having a huge open space and wandering over it wafting.
Now you have removed some of the junk, go over the same are and see what smaller signals were hiding. A very large number of items are masked by big bangs from large iron etc nearby.
So, concentrate and go over the area with different settings and from different directions. At this point dig everything and remove it. (Quite a good service in itself as it removes items that could potential injure livestock.)
Practice and Patience. There will be some coins and other interesting items I guarantee.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm

hello, to follow on from good advice from other MDF members i will only add get your self a DETECTOR HARNESS, this will help with swing and balance and hope avoid shoulder and arm problems that you mentioned. good luck

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm
hello, to follow on from good advice from other MDF members i will only add get your self a DETECTOR HARNESS, this will help with swing and balance and hope avoid shoulder and arm problems that you mentioned. good luck
just to add the easy swing detector harness seems very popular and can be purchased from the MDF shop

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Learn to swing with either arm, it will be tough at first, but worth it in the long term, when you can alternate every 20 minutes without bother. It's only an AT , no need for extra ironmongery.
Iron items that are 'loop-shaped' will likely always fool you - chain links, buckles, loops from horse-harnesses/bridles. I see you have two of those in your gallery.

When you think an area is 'done' , go over it in 'pinpoint-mode' . This will find some targets that are weak, ie. small/deep. Then try out your motion-mode skills, to see if you can improve their signal. A smooth, even sweep, at the correct height, and the best swing speed. Some of the targets may start to give a non-iron hit.
:(

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 pm

It's all part of the learning curve but even with correct use of discrimination you will still get some iron. Any iron with a hole in it will sound good to all detectors. As said listen out for those quieter repeatable weak targets as they are likely to be the deeper better older finds. And there will definately be some better finds on that land. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 am

The Garrett AT Pro is a good machine so if the "good" targets are there you will find them, and even on the most unpromising permissions there are always a few good targets to be found.

At your age and in your job you should be reasonably fit, assuming you are "on the rounds" rather than "an office job", so weight of the machine should not really require a harness, its just that an initial 6 hour session is a long one to start with. If you can using both arms will help but after a while you will become used to using the machine.

Try to learn the sounds of the machine rather than relying on the numbers, that will reduce the amount of iron that you dig. However as its only a small paddock you have permission for removing the iron targets can be a good idea as they might be blocking a nice smaller target.

Regarding the "nice high pitched tone and that got me rather excited. Sadly, they turned out to be either Tin foil, or what I'm guessing were a couple of tubes that held some sort of ointment." they are known as "moo tubes" by detectorists. As you say they contained ointment, normally for treating mastitis in cows, sadly they do give a great signal and all detectorists have dug them and hate them.
I try to be positive about them by saying it means people were there looking after the livestock so a chance they dropped coins or nice artifacts .... but I still hate them!.

As a small permission once you have been over it in one direction it is certainly not "done and not worth doing again" NO permission ever is. As Fred said go over where you have been in a different direction, imagine a coin is buried in the ground on its edge, rather than flat - if you swing from one direction you will just catch the thin edge of it, but swing at a 90 angle and you will hit the much larger face of it.

Evan

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks so much to you all for your advice, it is very much appreciated!

I'm fairly sure that my neck/shoulder issue is something that my Father suffered with too, just one of those hereditary things. Thankfully as I walk a lot with my job, I'm reasonably fit. I'll try using my left arm to swing the detector too. Good idea, thanks!

Edit: I probably didn't do myself any favours, carrying around a fairly large garden Spade and also a long handled trowel. I should look into getting a lighter single digging tool at some point.
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Well detecting will soon strengthen any dodgy bits...repeatable weight training with light weights is the best for building strength I have heard....but follow Fusion's advice and swap arms....otherwise you'll have one side like Popeye and the other like Olive Oyl!!
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Ha hah, thanks littleboot. I did use both arms today, much better. ::g
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”