2nd Day of detecting - A new permission

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
TheAndyA

2nd Day of detecting - A new permission

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm

I've been very lucky in getting a new permission to detect on a Farm that's not too far from home. I called over today for around 5 hours of searching.

I chatted with the farmers for a while, checking which fields I'd be OK to go into. I had free reign of several grass fields, some quite large, but I opted to start off in a small paddock very near to the farmhouse. I'd say that I only covered half of the small paddock today.

Lots of Iron signals as I suppose you'd expect on Farmland, I tried many of them, digging out nails, bits of chain, along with several other weighty iron objects. I started to get a bit more selective with the signals, there were just so many and it was taking quite some effort to dig as it was quite stoney in a lot of places.

My 1st surprise find was a Silver (plated?) pocket knife, very small and thin, but such a delight to unearth.

FB4B9877
by Andy Aveyard, on Flickr

After the knife, my next nice find was a belt buckle.

FB4B9879

The next find was what I think may have been part of a harness?

FB4B9881

I made several other iron finds, bits and pieces of farming tackle, but on my way back to the paddock gate, I found my 1st ever coin, an 1861 Victoria Penny. I was chuffed to bits! :)

FB4B9874

I've put some other photos in a Flickr album, just in case anyone would like to see them.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/aveyardphotography/6Y81X2

Garrett AT Pro Intenational
Garrett Carrot

boywonderwilson

Re: 2nd Day of detecting - A new permission

Post by boywonderwilson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Nice! What mode did you have your machine in? I also use a AT pro for last 5yrs

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm

boywonderwilson wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm
Thanks. I was using Pro Zero, but after all the iron signals, I upped the dicrimination to 30.

I had a couple of very confusing signals today, high 70,s into the 80's. I pinpointed them and even though I'd dug close to 1 foot deep, I couldn't get the Pinpointer to even register them. I went over the holes with the AT Pro and they were still showing the high readings, but I just couldn't locate them. Those holes were quite difficult to dig, lots of stones etc making it difficult.
Garrett Carrot

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Well done. The penknife looks like a fruit knife and may well be real silver, including the blade. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 pm

fred wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm
Well done. The penknife looks like a fruit knife and may well be real silver, including the blade. ::g
Fred that's interesting and it would make sense too, the blade as far as I can tell, appears to be un-tarnished. I haven't done anything to it, other than use a cocktail stick to pick off some of the dirt.

Does anyone have any clue as to the possible age of the knife and the belt buckle? I'd love to find out.
Garrett Carrot

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Great finds and brilliant pictures :D
XP Deus !!£$

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks Oxgirl.

Ref the Knife, I haven't attempted to open the blade, should I? I'm guessing it would need dousing with WD40 to try and free off the interior bits?
Garrett Carrot

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Well done, you reminded me of when I found one. Mine fell apart when I opened it up, but superglue sort of fixed it. :D ::g
20171026_172648a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

boywonderwilson

Post by boywonderwilson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm

TheAndyA wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
boywonderwilson wrote:
Thanks. I was using Pro Zero, but after all the iron signals, I upped the dicrimination to 30.

I had a couple of very confusing signals today, high 70,s into the 80's. I pinpointed them and even though I'd dug close to 1 foot deep, I couldn't get the Pinpointer to even register them. I went over the holes with the AT Pro and they were still showing the high readings, but I just couldn't locate them. Those holes were quite difficult to dig, lots of stones etc making it difficult.

With those mystery signals I get it all the time lovely 76-78 I think modern coin usually a pound, is your sensitivity up to max ? Try 2 notches down if it happens alot as I have spent 20min in a hole before and eventually located a tiny fragment of cooper/tin nail but the detector just knows it's a target even though it's like 0.5mm big and with propointer it has to litterally touch it to register, Pro Zero max discrimination , sensitivity 2 from max and frequency 4 seems to avoid these phantom signals of basically pin head sized fragments

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm

boywonderwilson wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm
TheAndyA wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm
boywonderwilson wrote:

With those mystery signals I get it all the time lovely 76-78 I think modern coin usually a pound, is your sensitivity up to max ? Try 2 notches down if it happens alot as I have spent 20min in a hole before and eventually located a tiny fragment of cooper/tin nail but the detector just knows it's a target even though it's like 0.5mm big and with propointer it has to litterally touch it to register, Pro Zero max discrimination , sensitivity 2 from max and frequency 4 seems to avoid these phantom signals of basically pin head sized fragments
Thanks very much for the tip!
Garrett Carrot

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Great start to your detecting, 1861 Penny is 50 years older than any penny I have managed.
Looked at your Flickr album, feel free to post a photo on here showing all the finds in one shot, shows a true representation of what we really find in relation to the interesting items.
More to come from your site.
Look forward to seeing your future discoveries ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Cheers Dave. I called over to the farm again today, but I didn't do as well as yesterday. Three large Horseshoes, a 1917 George One Penny and a 1936 George Half Penny. (One of them was gouged a little).

I also found a large bullet with 5 rings on it and a hole in the bottom, it's just the tip as far as I can see, no metal jacket so I'm presuming it's been fired and is safe?

Edit re the object that looks like a bullet, I can just make out the words 'Pike Trade Mark' on it, along with a picture of a Pike fish. I wonder if it's actually a bullet?

The photo of all of yesterday's find.

FB4B9885
Garrett Carrot

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Nice finds and nice write up!
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”