ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Big pot leg and a protest

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
kenleyboy

Big pot leg and a protest

Post by kenleyboy »

I managed to have a few sacred hours on the farm this afternoon despite the weather forecast threatening rain and high winds . The rain never came but the cold blast from the wind played havoc for the few hours I was there so on went the woolly hat and heads down and off I went .
About 50 yards up the sloping field I was doing well fighting the oncoming wind and I had my first decent sounding signal which turned out to be the usual plain button . Hole filled and pin pointer back in the pouch I steadied myself for the onward journey which was about to be interrupted .

I could see a small group of people over by the edge of the field and they were waving and calling me over so curious to find out what all the fuss was about I made my over to them . I was met halfway by a kindly gentleman who introduced himself as "Brian " and would I be so kind to help make the numbers up for a group photo and be willing to support their small but determined protest about some future development which was going to spoil the landscape etc . Being a willing sort of chap and one for the under dogs I agreed .With much jolly cheering and handshakes and introductions over I got the gist that I was now unwittingly part of a small but respectful protest with a local newspaper photographer ready from the off to click away .

A couple of sturdy ladies fought bravely with the wind and managed to unravel a very promising banner all of about 12 feet long , the wording escapes me but it seems I am now a "mascot member " of their protest group . One minute I am innocently detecting away and the next minute I am standing shoulder to shoulder with my new found comrades helping to hold this long banner while the local rag photographer took a few shots . Job done , handshakes , thanks and all that over and I'm off again on my lonesome journey slightly bewildered as to what exactly had I just got myself involved with .

No matter , the fields beckoned and after a few false digs a threepenny bit lay in the palm of my hands which was to be the only coin of the day . A few more odds and ends , some buttons and a rather impressive pot leg which is by far the biggest I have dug to date . I have had a few from here but nothing quite this size so I was quite happy to find that lump . I am guessing Medieval ? Whatever the age it turned out to be the best find of the afternoon .
I was using q40 , Raptor coil , sensitivity 75 and jewellery mode . The pot leg was only a few inches down so gave a decent sounding signal .
pot foot and bits.jpg
front pot foot image .jpg
pot foot side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”