Big pot leg and a protest

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
kenleyboy

Big pot leg and a protest

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm

I managed to have a few sacred hours on the farm this afternoon despite the weather forecast threatening rain and high winds . The rain never came but the cold blast from the wind played havoc for the few hours I was there so on went the woolly hat and heads down and off I went .
About 50 yards up the sloping field I was doing well fighting the oncoming wind and I had my first decent sounding signal which turned out to be the usual plain button . Hole filled and pin pointer back in the pouch I steadied myself for the onward journey which was about to be interrupted .

I could see a small group of people over by the edge of the field and they were waving and calling me over so curious to find out what all the fuss was about I made my over to them . I was met halfway by a kindly gentleman who introduced himself as "Brian " and would I be so kind to help make the numbers up for a group photo and be willing to support their small but determined protest about some future development which was going to spoil the landscape etc . Being a willing sort of chap and one for the under dogs I agreed .With much jolly cheering and handshakes and introductions over I got the gist that I was now unwittingly part of a small but respectful protest with a local newspaper photographer ready from the off to click away .

A couple of sturdy ladies fought bravely with the wind and managed to unravel a very promising banner all of about 12 feet long , the wording escapes me but it seems I am now a "mascot member " of their protest group . One minute I am innocently detecting away and the next minute I am standing shoulder to shoulder with my new found comrades helping to hold this long banner while the local rag photographer took a few shots . Job done , handshakes , thanks and all that over and I'm off again on my lonesome journey slightly bewildered as to what exactly had I just got myself involved with .

No matter , the fields beckoned and after a few false digs a threepenny bit lay in the palm of my hands which was to be the only coin of the day . A few more odds and ends , some buttons and a rather impressive pot leg which is by far the biggest I have dug to date . I have had a few from here but nothing quite this size so I was quite happy to find that lump . I am guessing Medieval ? Whatever the age it turned out to be the best find of the afternoon .
I was using q40 , Raptor coil , sensitivity 75 and jewellery mode . The pot leg was only a few inches down so gave a decent sounding signal .
pot foot and bits.jpg
front pot foot image .jpg
pot foot side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

john Colin

Re: Big pot leg and a protest

Post by john Colin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Thank you for an enjoyable read, you just never know what the day has in store, I love finding pot legs as they are so tactile and individual, that one really is a beauty, it would be interesting to know the period it dates from, well done.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 am

Well done you for braving the wild winds. I see you’ve cleared a few more buttons from the farm. Always surprises me that some fields don’t throw a single one and others are full of the blighters.
Pot legs are like half crowns. Belting signals and always nice to find.
Let’s hope your protest has some effect. Where would we all go if the fields disappeared under bricks and mortar. ::g

bryan162

Post by bryan162 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 am

Well done nice selection of finds ::g

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”