George 111 silver today

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
kenleyboy

George 111 silver today

Post by kenleyboy » Sun May 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Back on the Farm late afternoon for another go on the land . A different field this time round as the spring barley on the lower field is now too high . The area I was on today was the last to be drilled and has not faired too well this year , and it is still reasonably low .I haven't given this field too much attention this season and chatting with the Farmer he reckons I will have at least another week or so until it too becomes impossible to swing a coil .
Using Q40 , raptor coil , sensitivity 70 ,jewellery mode .

Weather was warm but overcast which made for pleasant walking and with just the Swallows for company off I went . First signal was the little bullet followed swiftly by a piece of lead and to round things off on my first leg of my tour , a cracking signal resulted in the big spoon . I was beginning to gather up a pattern of what sort of day I was going to have .

First decent find was the small circular object which I think may be pewter . It has a tiny protruding iron spoke and is flat on the back but half round in shape . There is a feint pattern which is either flower petals or little diamond shapes in the oval surface . I have no idea other than maybe a pendant of sorts either way it was my best find so far .This came in at a steady solid signal and the numbers were 72/75 which normally means something half decent .

Next signal was deep iron , they come in mid 80s and bounce up to 90s with a grunt and a high pitch tone . I have to dig some of them just in case but shallow pieces of iron tend to grunt along in the 30s range . Usually as in this case it was a piece of plough , deep down in the clay and to add to the struggle , lumps of big flint just to make the dig that little bit more interesting .

The next signal turned out to be my best find of the day and a first for me however I almost didn't bother to dig , so a lesson learned . After my previous knackering dig for the lump of iron , this signal also sounded like deep iron although the numbers 80/85 can be coins mostly pennies etc and occasionally 89/90 . I dont rely just on the numbers though , they are just a guide , it was the sound of the signal which was slightly putting me off , however curiosity go the better of me so I dug it . I am glad that I did .It was deep too , almost the depth of my pinpointer !
George 111 bust.jpg
George 111 rear .jpg
Very happy with the result of this find , a first for me and looks to be a sixpence 1817 . I have heard that there are many forgeries , I have done the foil test and it does whiff of bad eggs .Forgery or not , still happy and my best find of the day .I scanned around the area for twenty minutes or so but nothing much else showed up .

All too soon the day has to end so it was time to make my way back to the car . I did have a few more signals , mostly buttons which seemed to be in one continual path of about 40 yards , I must have had six plain buttons in that one line . Nice surprise was the fossil sticking nose up out the soil and another eyes only was the large calibre shell which had 43 embossed into the cap , I am assuming the year of manufacture ?

End of the days efforts , not bad at all for me .Possibly one more dig and then thats me done for the season . :(
good and bad .jpg
todays best.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Tizabi

Re: George 111 silver today

Post by Tizabi » Sun May 19, 2019 10:57 pm

nice finds ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Think I spy half a folding rule hinge last photo bottom right. They seem to pop-up from time to time in fields. Probably a conscientious farmer checking his acreage? 8-| :D Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun May 19, 2019 11:18 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Think I spy half a folding rule hinge last photo bottom right. They seem to pop-up from time to time in fields. Probably a conscientious farmer checking his acreage? 8-| :D Regards ss47
Not sure what that could be , you may well be right . This one is flat at one end with three sections of the metal squeezed together but is open on end with just two pieces of metal , an odd one .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:21 pm
large calibre shell which had 43 embossed into the cap , I am assuming the year of manufacture ?
correct

love the fossil urchin :D

Nice selection of finds

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 pm
correct

but I think its just normal detritus as compass legs also turn up

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=102 ... Sy9p27VmG4

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 pm

What a super coin,enjoyed the read too ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 am

Another great day out , Paul.
Well done on the Georgian Silver, something that has eluded me so far.
Hopefully you will have one more outing to round off a very good season,
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 am

Another fair day out (by my standards) well done Paul.

I’ve got a few of those six pences now and their a great find. The quality is nearly always good. The only one of mine that isn’t, is the one that came out of a chunk of black stuff from the beach. A toffee hammer job :D

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”