ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

An enjoyable and pleasant day but...........

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
sweepstick47

An enjoyable and pleasant day but...........

Post by sweepstick47 »

Today was a charity club dig where paying guests were welcome to join us. ::g

The conditions, observed from the kitchen, looked very promising. It was cool, dry and overcast so pretty much perfect for ‘soil scanning’ in my opinion. As I had work to do at home on my return so I was only going to be there for a couple of hours. With my pre-op checks completed the night before, I just had to get a quick breakfast, carry out the task of making sandwiches
(I bought sausage rolls actually) then fill a flask and I’m good to go. ::g

Picking up my fully charged XP W 3s from the hall table on the way out, I loaded up the car (with more gear than was necessary……...just in case) and set off bound for the agreed RV point.

Upon arrival, members and guests were already updating each other with details of their latest finds or disappointments , before making for the treasurer’s car to register. I soon joined them, coughed-up my beer tokens and joined in with the usual banter and mandatory mickey taking.

We set off in an unconvincing military style convoy, arriving at the chosen destination some thirty minutes later to await the compulsory morning briefing. The land was looking pretty good, it was dry, level, sandy soil which was liberally strewn with potatoes of varying size, colour and completeness having seemingly avoided the majority of the harvesting process!

Once out on the field, (there was only one) the first hour and a half, is best described as a non-event for me, although I know some others did make finds early on. ::g Fortunately, events improved a little, when a faint two way low buzz revealed a low grade Roman bronze and a short time later, a further Roman bronze appeared but once home having given it a wash and test for silver, it turned out to be a denarius, albeit a mediocre one.

In terms of quantity/quality of finds, this was not one of my better days but it’s in keeping with many others who’ve had similar or even worse days but do we complain, well of course we do!
Keep Smiling ::g ss47
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A disservice is no service at all.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”