ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Find of a lifetime - Gold Half Noble

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Dave8472

Find of a lifetime - Gold Half Noble

Post by Dave8472 »

Hi all, I’m after an ID please so I can PAS record this, will move to “ Finds Stories” when I know more, I’m asking in a few places so will update on any new information, thanks for helping.

I’ve worked out that it is a Half Noble
Diameter : 25.60mm, Weight : 3.41g

Firstly how fate paid a big part in this !

Off on Sunday to a ‘Medway History Finders’ club dig in the district of Swale in Kent. We got to site only to find the chosen fields were water logged from the rain the day before and the farmer wasn’t happy for us to dig them. However we could go on the two other fields we had visited a couple of times before, it was well over 200 acres with a young wheat or barley crop on. These fields had produced some nice bits before but finds were very spread out. I set off to one of the better sections that had a footpath through to the nearby church, was getting a few signals but mainly trash and buttons. Bumped into a couple of friends and one had already found a damaged George III Maundy penny and another a short cross cut half. Could I find anything ? Nope… Changed tactics and detected around to another good area where some Romans had turned up, still couldn’t find anything apart from more trash. By lunch time I was coinless.

Set back out to the roman spot and made my way across to another area where a mate had found some hammered on an earlier visit, while chatting to others, as you do, I decided I might head over to the other field that I had never detected before and on arrival a friend had found a large hammered that was bent over, looked like a shilling. Good sign I thought and pressed on, first decent signal was a William III shilling, nearly completely worn flat and very battered. This is where fate plays a hand, needing a wee I headed off to the field boundary and job done !! By now the good weather was coming to an end and the dark clouds were getting closer, that’s my lot and started heading back. BANG, bit signal, looked down and there it was half out the ground, no dancing but I did scream. Looking around and doing a very careful spiral grid of the spot I noticed several holes dug by my fellow club members, it was just pure luck that I found it and fate that I went that way.

Just goes to show, you can do all the research in the world, think you know it all about detecting then just walk over that spot at that very moment.

For me it was a find of a lifetime and one I will never forget l;.

Coin had a bit of damage but it's all good now after a session on the gas hob and some nail-biting moments :))

I was using the Equinox on my custom Field 1 program but any detector would have found it, happy days and thanks for reading.

Dave ):=
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
1004.JPG

A short video of it coming out, clip is in 1080p 60fps

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus v3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

This topic has 60 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”