ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Yes! ... oh no. Yes! ... oh no. Bucket list !!

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Saffron

Yes! ... oh no. Yes! ... oh no. Bucket list !!

Post by Saffron »

A fairly decent afternoon after all the recent rain we have had around here (my one very small permission is under several feet of water), and not sure what I wanted for tea and did not feel like cooking.

Only one option, an hour or so detecting on my new permission which just happens to be on the way to my nearest chippie :D ::g

Notice mud and cut up ground where I had intended to park where somebody had driven on the grass and some surface water so park in the yard out of the way by the horseboxes.

By the track to what used to be a mill is a very small paddock (less than an acre) that has two or three rows of high / deep ridge and furrow. I always like small paddocks and thought the high ridges would be drier than the larger flat fields so head there.

Detector soon starts going nuts, as it does in a few other places on this permission, but as about to change fields notice tracking is on for ground balance B| B| Turn it off and eventually find a patch of grass not giving a signal so ground balance. Due to having moved up the paddock and ground balanced the Nox is now usable ::g

A couple of signals then the third produces a very thin silver disk, looks like large badly worn hammy by the bit I can see in the mud. Yes !!. Gently clean it ... to reveal a dog tag "Hiedi". A few mutters under my breath.

A while after get another signal and that reveals a very mud covered gold ring, perfect size for a ladies wedding finger. Yes !!. Gently clean it ... to reveal plumbing / fitting item and certainly not gold. A few mutters under my breath.

Working back towards car as light is going and tummy says "I want chips", and get a signal which after I eventually find it in the mud is a round heavy disk, much too big for an old penny and suspect another bit of junk. Give it a clean ... and it turns out to be a George III 1797 cartwheel penny ::g ::g My first ::g :D OK I know that they are not exactly rare and many detectorists I know have found one but not having one my self it was always a "bucket list" item, (even if towards the bottom of the list).

Funny old game isn't it?. Two items that initially look good are not then the one that does not look promising is.

So a bucket list item and pie and chips, made the trip out worth while.

Evan

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”