ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

when is a bagseal not a bag seal, id pilgrim badge

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
lordofthecoils

when is a bagseal not a bag seal, id pilgrim badge

Post by lordofthecoils »

looking through finds from recent digs ,what I thought was a bag seal turned out to be something totally different. When washing of the mud of said bag seal I saw a figure in the centre and as I washed of the rest of the mud the middle fell out [shown in picture] . The item is about 18mm across and was made in three bits , a outer casing a centre panel inset, and the figure in a crescent
laid into the piece and fixed somehow all very delicate and a bit elaborate to . This struck me as similar to the lady in a boat Saxon sceat I found a few years back , although I would hazard a guess it is a medieval pilgrims badge of sorts so about five centureys apart. Any body know of anything similar would appreciate your comments, but I will hand it in .

I have photographed in in different lights to help viewing as its a bit of a strange one and a little confusing , well it confused me at first :D ::g ::g ::g Imagefront of item

Image reverse Image

Image the centre bit that fell out plus to more images as it becomes clearer in different lightsImageImagelady in a boat Saxon coin I found
Last edited by lordofthecoils on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”