Quiet on here and quiet out there.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Dave The Slave

Quiet on here and quiet out there.

Post by Dave The Slave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Seems very quiet on MDF today, so had better add my paltry pile of rusty artifacts.
Visit 6 of the season, after last weeks debacle could not wait to get back out for a proper session.
Of course I did not post last week, so I`d better tell you what happened.

Visit 5.
Desperate to get out, weather was forecast 90% rain showers but I NEED to be Detecting.
Set off from home get on the Dual carriageway and it`s torrential, do I turn round and give it a miss, no chance. Feel like James Hunt at Mount Fuji 1976 needing those 4 points. Spray was terrible speed kept down drive safely.
Arrive at permission, waterproof up and away I went. Rained lightly for around an hour then stopped, don`t know what the Gold dance is people talk about but there must be a Sun dance, no not Robert Redford.
Not many signals which seems to be the norm on this field. The one pleasing find was a 1945 marked Military tea spoon.
Coil was sounding off when it touched Maize stalks , I hate these things, then it was sounding off on every swing. Coil had been knocked loose , gave washers more tension but no good. Had to reluctantly finish after an hour and a half.
Did manage to accumulate 6 points.

In the meantime ordered new coil bolt and washers, now got 3 washers on each side, like top of the range shock absorbers.

Visit 6.
Forecast cold but sunny with a feels like 1 or 2, yes please.
Arrive at permission, put the fleece back on for added warmth.
Ground frozen but it will melt because the Sun is out, Hip[,Hip Hooray the Sun has got its hat on and I`m going out to play.
First signals hard to dig due to ice but break through it. Not tooo long into session my 2nd George 2nd Halfpenny from this field, happy with that. Look to see what time it is, watch not there, hate not knowing what the time is.
Ground is thawing, my rubberised elongated Hush Puppies, now look like slush Puppies, with snow shoe size globules of mud stuck to them.
Over the 4hr session dug 23 items,Image
including my largest ever Horse shoe 6.5" x 7". Can imagine a prized large Heavy horse pulling a plough, of which most of its parts I have found.
Special photo for those of you who like your Heavy Metal ( partifacts ).
Also in the 3rd photo below the Halfpenny, is a small curved, shaped piece of lead, which is different from the normal blob or bullet. Looks to have served a purpose of some sorts.
All in all visit 6 was enjoyable and there you have it.
By the time I have written this and you have read it, some more interesting discoveries will have been posted on MDF.
Good Luck everyone, ::g
Dave.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Quiet on here and quiet out there.

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Well done on getting out Dave, its still a run out, some fresh air and you just NEVER know what will come up! Fields around here are REALLY soggy still, even the pasture is like a sponge to walk on. The rain and wind are bearable, its the freezing temp that I hate most, when the fingers are numb, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm

You been on my field again Dave ? :))

ratty

Post by ratty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 pm

A high frequency elliptical coil arrived today so i felt duty bound to give it a test..
Finds
1927 penny, crud button, tiddley button with traces of gilding on reverse, lump of tombac,
18C Tombac button.
I've never heard of Tombac before , it's an alloy of copper and zinc used to imitate silver.
The lump is possibly a result of clothing being burnt with buttons on them.??
Very pleased with the coil, nice crisp signals on very swampy clay soil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:41 pm

That last pic looks like a copy of the one I posted last time I went out except for that half a humongous horse shoe.
Well done on persevering. I always tell myself, it’s not the finding but the searching that makes the trip worth while. (Tell yourself often enough and you’ll believe it ) :D

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Ahh, those are the detecting days Dave! ::g

Yes, it is quiet at the moment... even the usual suspects are absent.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

fred

Post by fred » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks for posting. ::g I've not been out for ages thanks to long overdue decorating, like 20 years of 'just popping down the beach' overdue. :)
Equinox 800 x2

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Great write up as per usual and just being out is reward enough . I was out on sunday afternoon on a friends permission , found nowt but nice to just be there on the hunt . ::g
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”