Pembrokeshire pasture and beach finds.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
johntp

Pembrokeshire pasture and beach finds.

Post by johntp »

So with all the wind we have been having lately I thought it would be a great idea to visit Tenby south beach in the hope of some sand being removed, but as low tide was going to be at 2pm ish I would also have the chance to have a go at my Iron age fort field in the morning.
On arrival at the iron age field I discovered that the farmer has been spreading muck that morning and there was no way I was going to spend the day digging holes with a clothes peg on my nose so a change of plan was called for.
No big deal I would head down to another permission where Ladybird66 had recently found a lovely Queen Elizabeth the 1st hammy.
First target of the day and what do you think pop's out of the hole but another Queen Elizabeth the 1st hammy. only my second ever hammered coin, happy days. after a couple of other toasted coins I'm wondering if I should stay on the field or move down to Tenby beach for the afternoon.
I'm thinking if there are hammered coins in this field and they have been here for 400 years then they wont be going far. so of to the beach I go.
I start at the low water mark for an hour or so, but nothing to show for my efforts other than a few old bullet casings, so I move on up to the high water mark and spot that some of the sand dunes have been eroded away so decide to try my luck there. soon I am finding some predecimal coins and a cool artillery cap badge. so glad I went to the beach.
All in all another great day out in the fresh air with some lovely finds to add to my growing collection. Happy days. :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beaubrummell

Re: Pembrokeshire pasture and beach finds.

Post by beaubrummell »

Cracking finds and a good read mate. ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

Well done nice finds and a nice cap badge find ::g
🏴‍☠️ Dirt Fishing For Gold Silver Copper And Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Hey, well done there John. That Lizzie is a cracker. Slightly clipped but all there and clear as day.
Was it in the same area as mine ? Makes you wonder what and who was there back then.
The cap badge is tidy as well. Wonder what the owner was doing in the sand dunes to loose it rl;

So another day another dollar, so they say. You’re doing well. Strange though, I went to the farm shop at lunch time and then the tip at the bottom (or is it the top) of the lane to your farm and, of course, thought of you. Must be telepathy :D

johntp

Post by johntp »

Thanks Val,
The field that I was on was the field that we walked through first before crossing the road to where you found your hammy.
I was having a go on the other side of the crossroads from your find location, thinking that 400 years ago the roads there would have been no more than dirt tracks leading from village to village and there is a chance that people would be walking along the edges of the tracks, especially in wet weather when the tracks would be full of mud and water filled pot holes. so I was sticking close to the hedgerows. I found the hammy only about 50 meters from your one on the opposite side of the road.
As for the cap badge I'm beginning to think that the sand dunes may have been used for training the troops before WW1 and WW 2 as there are a lot of lead bullets ( WW1 ) and bullet casings from WW2 on the beach, I'm guessing that back then it would have been ok to run around the dunes without people worrying to much about the damage being done to wildlife habitat.
More high winds coming soon, hopefully when the weather improves we will have a chance to get out on the pasture. see ya soon, Happy days :))

fred

Post by fred »

Well done, great finds. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”