ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Brace, Brace, Brace - Spooky Gold and Saxon Silver (unfortunately not mine)

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
fred

Brace, Brace, Brace - Spooky Gold and Saxon Silver (unfortunately not mine)

Post by fred »

One of the Noxettes that I trained called me to say that he had some bits for me to look at. He understated it as I could see a Saxon penny in his tin but I put that at the back and waded through the dross first. He had a Geometric Potin and a Thurrock Potin, both common enough around here but always nice to find.

The next item was the face of a heavy gold locket with an 'h' on the front. It weighs five or six grams and it is probably at least 14 carats and maybe 15 or even 18. I will test it for him at some time in the future. It is his first ever piece of found gold. I thought that I could see something so I removed the clip and the glass. When I gave the piece of paper under it a gentle wipe a faint ghost from the past in Victorian attire emerged. I wonder if he was the 'h'?
Tonylock1.JPG
Tonylock2.JPG
The Saxon silver penny, my mates first, is a real beauty. It is an Edward the Confessor Pointed Helmet type. I can't read the moneyer but it was struck at Dover, so it's local history. It has a slight crinkle but otherwise is good, solid, well struck silver and came out as you see it.
Tonycoint.JPG
Tonycoinh.JPG
I think that I can honestly say that young Starwalker is now a Jedi and the force is certainly with him, by the bucketfull. :D

I was offered a crack at the site tomorrow but, to my extreme annoyance, I will be waiting in for the delivery of a ton of Scottish cobbles to complete my new beach garden. ;;z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well worn Equinox 800 x2
Nice (temporarily) shiny new one x1

This topic has 20 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”