A brilliant 4 hours

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Chalkey1

A brilliant 4 hours

Post by Chalkey1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 pm

After my last post about finding my very first hammered I've been out a few times since just finding the normal sort of stuff.Friday evening I decided to pop up to the field where I found the 13C buckle & silver cane tip. I had the f75 set up sens 75,disc 8,notch 0,tones 2l & de mode. I decided to concentrate on an area about a football pitch size..I like to zigzag rather than up & down the lanes,anyway after about 20 minutes I'd dug half a dozen decent signals mainly button & bits of bronze when I got a lovely clear tone mid 30s & Much searching with the Garrett pointer I spotted a tiny disc..I didn't think it was much maybe a very thin button but it turned out to be a Richard Cromwell 1650 penny. The coin stored away nicely off I set smoking a celebratory ciggy. After another 20 minutes of zigzagging another sharp 30s signal,mind mind racing I dug the target to find another more silvery looking disc which turned out to be a Henry V1 1434 groat. Now I was buzzing but getting near 8ish I headed back to the car,I started to walk down the tractor tracks which had softened after the rain. About 40 ft from the car another banging signal,so I chipped away at the pretty compacted soil & out popped a large silver disc which turned out to be a Elizabeth 1st 1593 sixpence.went down the pub for a few beers.. Sunday afternoon went back to the same field full of excitement. Now this is no bull. I turned on the machine & walked no more than 5 yards & bang a lovely whole crotel bell followed by another 13C buckle this time with the pin intact. I zigzagged about for an hour finding a few bits & bobs when a nice crisp 60s sounded & out popped a William reide 1666 halfpenny token,I kept thinking is this some sort of set up coz I never find these kind of coins. Anyway getting hungry I started heading back when wham,another sharp signal and yes it was another silver disc. Got home & I'd the coins & the last one turned out to be a Charles 1st sixpence with the V1 next to the head. My best 4 hours ever,just hope I haven't used up all my good luck in one go. I'll try to put a photo up but it's bound to be blurry like the last one.. Many thanks. Chalkey
Fisher F75

Jollyboy

Re: A brilliant 4 hours

Post by Jollyboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Don't you just luv it.... nice read ::g

Chalkey1

Post by Chalkey1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fisher F75

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 am

Blooming heck can I have that field please???? ::g OooO Looks like you need to do a bit of research on that site. Was it a market (near a church might be an indicator) or a mill site or somewhere else where money changed hands? Sounds like it was used for hundreds of years so it must have left some record.

Whatever it was you are one very, very lucky man. Now I'm going to see if I can stop myself being sick with envy whilst you get your detector ready to get back there...

Seriously enjoy it and savour the finds, future sites are unlikely to be as good as this one :;@
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:50 am

Cor. You certainly had a couple of great sessions where the finds seem to run towards the coil rather than run away from it like is normally the case. Well done.
John

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:35 am

Nice finds and the detecting sounds about as good as it gets. ::g
PS The hammie with a shield looks like a Commonwealth one.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 am

Great read. The sort of session that shouts 'undetected land'! Great stuff. Felt the excitement. It must have been such fun.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Chalkey1

Post by Chalkey1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks for your excellent feedback guys,good luck to everyone. P.s there is a church close by which has been a church site since the 8th C. Cheers. Chalkey
Fisher F75

Return to “Finds - Stories”