"Battered" Site Produces - Zebra

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Fisher1266X

"Battered" Site Produces - Zebra

Post by Fisher1266X » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am

Today we paid a visit to an existing permission but to a field that we'd never set foot in. The field was drilled with OSR and 42-acres in size.

Rob and I used the 13" coils in V4 and Robin the 11" coil in V3.2 using GMP standard.
We travelled down the entire western edge of the field (half-a-mile) with only a few bits in the first half, mainly lead and copper fragments.
It was only in the second half of the field were it started to get a little busier.
Lots of small ferrous signals were being received so it looked as though we may be onto a settlement of some kind.
The first coin was a silvered Roman numus and it wasn't long before a few other roman coins started to emerge. There were some sherds of Roman grey ware and even a couple of Medieval pottery sherds on the field surface. There was even a fragment of Bronze Age pottery for good measure.
We were certain that a settlement may exist due to the amount of lead and ferrous signals as well as the mineralisation of the soil.

Because the field is over 42-acres in size we decided to use our proven "Zebra" https://goo.gl/pTnMgU search pattern to quickly locate the settlement area.
We have used this system several times with great success and once again it helped locate the area of the settlement in this field.
We resumed our normal search pattern over the highlighted zone and enjoyed the following results:

Twenty-six Roman coins including two nice denarii, a Spanish (Real) silver Cob, two Roman fibulae, a nice Medieval strapend, three lead animals, a Civil War musket ball, a bespoke lead seal, lots of buttons and lead bullets were recovered!
The GPS plots should confirm the settlements main body.

P1050679c.jpg
P1050685c.jpg
P1050693c.jpg

We decided to call it a day and kick off the wellies.
Whilst doing so, I got a WhattsApp message from the landowner. He'd sent a picture of a lovely Roman fibula that a local detectorist had found. I said we'd come over and have a look at it if he was home.
This was the first time that I'd met the landowner in the four years that I'd known him, although we only visit infrequently.

He was extremely surprised that we'd found anything at all as "millions" had already searched that field. Obviously, the field had been saturated with detectorists over the years hence his remarks and amazement at the amount we'd found. He added that that the previous detectorists must not have been that good? We however think that they'd done a good job over those years but it just goes to show that a structured approach will pay dividends. It will be interesting to see if we find much after the next plough session.

We'll be writing an article that may shed some light on the perception of what lies beneath your feet and if it is detectable.

For HD images of the days finds please visit here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4LwraV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Lowland

Re: "Battered" Site Produces - Zebra

Post by Lowland » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am

Hi
Nice work-
Lovely coins.
All the best
Rory
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 pm

A great write-up Paul, what continually amazes me is the number of fields you go on that have been previously hammered by "millions" of rubbish detectorists!!! Then you guys come along and find lots of cracking stuff. :) :) :)
Keep up the reports - they always bring a wry smile, which I am sure is your intent OooO OooO OooO

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Or they'd missed one section and have been got the sackfuls from the rest of the field ;) i think big fields tend to result in patchy coverage so certainly a more organised, scientific approach will generally deliver more.

Anyway loving your finds. Superb pictures as always and love your manangerie of lead animals. Some beautiful coins too. Who is the emperor with the fat neck? Lovely detail on that one ::g

Look forward to next weeks report.
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Interesting read,some fields just keep giving up new finds,could be that they are ploughing deeper than normal or they have a new deeper plough that will of course bring up the deeper finds that no one has detected before.
:(

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Lowland wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am
Hi
Nice work-
Lovely coins.
All the best
Rory
Cheers Rory, nice to hear from you ::g
oldartefact wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 pm
A great write-up Paul, what continually amazes me is the number of fields you go on that have been previously hammered by "millions" of rubbish detectorists!!! Then you guys come along and find lots of cracking stuff.
Keep up the reports - they always bring a wry smile, which I am sure is your intent OooO
Hi John, thanks for the comments. Believe you me, we've been on some fields and there are virtually no signals at all.... and we were warned by the landowners that we wouldn't find much :D
The landowner in this case did use the word "millions", of course we know this is an exaggeration but, we know that in a way, it isn't. It was just his way of saying that it had been done so many times that there was no way on earth that anything else would be found. So much so that nobody has been back to the field for a long time as they weren't finding anything.
Also, it's not the first time a landowner has noted that, compared to our recoveries, the other detectorists were not as effective. Again, those were the words of a professional businessmen who are quite savvy when it comes to facts and figures.
Thanks again for the "cracking stuff" comment, some of it was quite nice but the majority was a little low key such as the "grots" even though some looked fairly nice on the images.

You're absolutely right about the wry smile or pithy wit, thats just me.

At the end of the day our reports are just a way of perhaps motivating or helping others to enjoy the hobby just that tiny bit more?

I always look forward to your feedback John, please keep it coming ;)
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm
Or they'd missed one section and have been got the sackfuls from the rest of the field ;) i think big fields tend to result in patchy coverage so certainly a more organised, scientific approach will generally deliver more.

Anyway loving your finds. Superb pictures as always and love your manangerie of lead animals. Some beautiful coins too. Who is the emperor with the fat neck? Lovely detail on that one ::g

Look forward to next weeks report.
Evening Cath,

Absolutely, they probably did exactly that.
New fields, especially big ones always benefit from our "Zebra" search pattern. It is so easy to carry out this procedure that it bonkers not to try it! Because you are spaced at 24 metres apart and parallel it is virtually impossible to miss a feature such as a settlement or villa for example.
Once one of you discover something, whether that be pottery or metallic evidence, you may be on a winner!

I tried something different with the pictures and they seemed to turn out quite well.
There are two emperors with large necks, one is Magnentius and the other is Carausius, minted in London of all places!
Mega B wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm
Interesting read,some fields just keep giving up new finds,could be that they are ploughing deeper than normal or they have a new deeper plough that will of course bring up the deeper finds that no one has detected before.
Hi Rick,

Of course, some fields will always produce finds if they are searched randomly as there are lots of areas that will be missed. Most plough depths are 8 inches and there is no chance of finding small stuff at anything deeper than 5 inches. That means there's 3 inches below the 5 inches that may always have a cut-quarter etc.

One of our landowners ha ordered his plough team to set the plough to 10 inches on every field he has.... and that's nearly 1300-acres! The added cost to ploughing 10 inches instead of 8 inches will be incredible.
The cost to plough 80-acres at 8 inches was over £700 :-O

We've no idea at the moment where we are going this weekend as we're waiting on several landowner reports coming back to us.
Hopefully the weather might be kind to us all?

As mentioned, we're writing an article that may interest all those that are interested in detecting efficiences, both machine and man (and woman of course) :D
This may answer all those niggling questions on depth, mineralisation, coins-on-edge, detection direction, machine spec, coil shape/size, magical settings and all the other myths and perceptions that many hold.

Hope you all have a great weekend......

;)
Image XP Déus V4.1

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

Fisher1266X wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am
Because the field is over 42-acres in size we decided to use our proven "Zebra" search pattern.
Hi Paul, interesting write up, finds and a good search system, On pasture I guess a GPS plotting app may be the best bet to mark "zebra" method, though not as accurate? Maybe easier to work to the historic smaller field boundaries than the modern larger ones?
Ian.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 am

Easylife wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am
Fisher1266X wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am
Because the field is over 42-acres in size we decided to use our proven "Zebra" search pattern.
Hi Paul, interesting write up, finds and a good search system, On pasture I guess a GPS plotting app may be the best bet to mark "zebra" method, though not as accurate? Maybe easier to work to the historic smaller field boundaries than the modern larger ones?
Ian.
Morning Ian,

Your absolutely right, the "Zebra" method is designed specifically for arable land where the tractor tracks are laid down every 24 metres apart to allow for crop spraying etc. The great part about it is that you can use as many tracks or as little as you want and you know exactly where you've searched to. If you're pressed for time or the field is huge, this method can quickly establish if you have a settlement or not. One of the fields we searched last year was 178-acres in size, now that's a big field to search for casual losses such as one hammy or one Roman coin!

On pasture I've used a line pegged down between two rods. This brilliant for small fields as it provides a fool-proof way of covering the ground efficiently and if you need to re-visit the following day/week, again you know exactly where you've searched to previously.

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Return to “Finds - Stories”