Garden finds

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
kenleyboy

Garden finds

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Despite the lack of any permissions to date , this low period has allowed me to at least spend some valuable time getting used to the Ace 250 which in my mind is a great little machine and an ideal start up detector .
I am lucky in one sense and that is having the use of my garden which is a fair size and part of it used to belong to an old Drovers Pub dating back to 1750 . Most of the finds tend to be within the old ground and judging by the amount of buttons found I wonder if these are the result of some drunken brawls !

The finds are not earth shattering but they do give an indication of time period with the oldest item being the lead loom weight which I have been told is about 15th century . It does have some decoration and I have managed to decipher some of the design with a sketch .
The oldest coin is the 1806 George penny and the other favourite is the 1886 Farthing . I cannot lay claim to finding this , that one was down to my little whippet girl who decided to jump into the hole and have a mad claw about and lo and behold there it was even though the pinpointer had indicated that there was something hidden in the soil .
This little draw full is spread over about 6 months period with a few hours playing about with the Ace and trying different settings . I have found overall that I prefer the all metals with three notched out and sensitivity down one notch , that works great for me anyway .
I would say that these items are mostly no doubt from the activities of the pub .
My last find was the lovely little "D" buckle and one item I just couldn't understand why I had not found one and then eventually there it was 6 inches down in the side of the clod , I was well pleased with that one .
There are a couple of items I would like to get an ID on as there is a small ring which I am told could be a Georgian wedding band and a few other items of which I will take some images and load up .
As a footnote I would like to thank Knotalot in helping me get my head around sorting the tiny pic image to post .
Would also like to thank Liam for inviting me out on some "proper land" on the recent rally , brilliant day .

Lowland

Re: Garden finds

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Great work!
For all the stems of clay pipeS I would have expected more bowls?
And
What does the saltglaze stoneware bottle shard have impressed on it?
All the best.
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Some excellent stuff there. Suppose you take a clue from your whippet? Why not dig a test pit in a place where the more interesting stuff came up and see what is down at the lower levels.( There are guides on how to do it online) Of course you don't have to be textbook about it...just take off a slice at a time and detect the spoil and see what pottery is where in the layercake to give an idea of the depths of different aged stuff in your soil. Most of the really old stuff we find is only within detector range because of either soil disturbance by ploughing, animal activity, more recent development, or because the bedrock stops things sinking further.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

slipper

Post by slipper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Good selection of finds, that shows a lot of promise I would have though, much better than my garden. I got a 1967 thupenny bit, rather pleasing tho, and enough rag nails to build the Ark

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Lowland , the shard reads W.Hasekamp Distillers Sheidham Holland . They were apparently importers of mineral water and I have found same bottles by them in bottle dumps . Think this one dates to about 1890 - 1910 .
The clay pipes are a mystery as the owners of the old pub have told me in the 30 years they have lived there , they have never found a full pipe or intact pipe bowl and they have had some extensive work done in the grounds over the years .

Littleboot , yes I had thought about perhaps going deeper and detecting further down . I did find the old bottle dump here which was approx 2 ft down and in one other part 4 ft down and then you hit clay . I am sure there is much more to find and there are some really good signals coming from the main lawn but I have been forbidden to push a spade into the turf !

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 pm
Hi Lowland , the shard reads W.Hasekamp Distillers Sheidham Holland . They were apparently importers of mineral water and I have found same bottles by them in bottle dumps . Think this one dates to about 1890 - 1910 .
The clay pipes are a mystery as the owners of the old pub have told me in the 30 years they have lived there , they have never found a full pipe or intact pipe bowl and they have had some extensive work done in the grounds over the years .

Littleboot , yes I had thought about perhaps going deeper and detecting further down . I did find the old bottle dump here which was approx 2 ft down and in one other part 4 ft down and then you hit clay . I am sure there is much more to find and there are some really good signals coming from the main lawn but I have been forbidden to push a spade into the turf !
Thanks for the reply!
The brown saltglaze bottle sounds like what we used to call an appolinaris bottle-Tall with no neck and a small loop handle
Think appolinaris were just one company using them.
gin also came in the same type of bottle.....schiedam being a hub for gin back in the day.
The pipe bowls is a mystery-
Are there any makers names on any of the stems?

As for good signals in the lawn...I don't think it's nighthawking to do a spot of lawn care at half two in the morning.
Leather jacket grubs can leave dead patches on the grass, best to dig em out.
All the best
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:10 pm

[quote=Lowland post_id=844426 time=1505322421 user_id=20984

As for good signals in the lawn...I don't think it's nighthawking to do a spot of lawn care at half two in the morning.
Leather jacket grubs can leave dead patches on the grass, best to dig em out.
All the best
[/quote]

Blame it on the badger =))

I've wondered about situations like this. If you just mark every promising signal (colours for tones) then step back and look for clusters you might get a chance to dig a small area - slowly, slowly, catchy monkey ;)

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I wonder if you could dig a hole in the most 'busy spot on the lawn signal-wise. I think a new water feature , for example, would be a perfect excuse for a spot of excavating. :D
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm making comments about our lawn, or should I say moss patch ;) that could really do with digging out and re-turfing. Think I've started to convince the hubby :D -=+:-P

Some nice finds there. Don't forget the hedge/boundary line - after a few drinks bouncing of hedges and leaning against walls is highly likely -=+:-P

P.S. need better close up pics to help with your IDs. If you can I'm sure you'd get some great help ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi Lowland ,

yes I imagine Gin from this same company . Would be good to find a whole one . Have found some interesting bottles all in good condition except for scratches on some but in general nice finds and apart from a few domestic ones , the rest no doubt would have originated from the old pub .

As far as clay pipes go with initials etc , there is one with France stamped in the stem , another with the initials "J" and "T" and one more with " RMOUTH" so I am thinking possibly a Yarmouth based clay pipe maker being as I am in Norfolk , but I could be wrong .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments etc .
Now I have wrestled with uploading from tiny pics I am pretty confident I can get some closer detail Photographs for a few items for ID .
Many thanks all .

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I had been digging in the garden as the house is 300 years old, not found anything nearly as interesting and now been banned by the missus... she doesn't believe squirrels dig square holes!
Rutus Alter71
Chinese Pinpointer
YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAgpy ... OC5T1QRZCg

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am

Hi Kenleyboy/ nice to see some of yours finds, i think i may be able to see some copper disc head slate nails but if not i am sure someone on here will give you the correct id when we see them close up images,
Good Luck for the future and hope you soon find some permissions ::g

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am

Some fascinating finds there KB.
It's strange the lack of bowls though :-/
Good luck with the permission hunting and pleased that Liam sorted you out with a dig.
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Return to “Finds - Stories”