Latest Find

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
FULLTIMER

Latest Find

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Well I've just come to the end of my latest coverage of one of the regular fields I have detected on for the last 7/8 years and surprisingly still came up with a few good finds, last night I managed to find this little strap end
I found one almost identical to this on the same field back in 2011 it's on the UKDFD site and described as ""A fragment of an Anglo-Saxon zoomorphic strap-end, consisting of the terminal and a short length of the adjoining body. The terminal is moulded in the form of a stylised mouse-like head with rounded rearward facing ears, indented eyes and a pointed nose". dated 9th/10th century. this one seems to be whole but less defined but shows there was very little missing from my first one. the only other thing I found last night was this coin like object but not much chance of working out what it was I would think.
I've still got a few more items to get cleaned up and photographed and will post as soon as they are ready.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES
BEST FINDS HERE; http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showca ... =fulltimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coal digger

Re: LATEST FIND

Post by coal digger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Any saxon deserves a reply FT,well found bud,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Cheers CD, it's not been a bad field over the years and had a few Saxon / viking artefacts from it but alas no saxon coins, something I would love to find.
BEST FINDS HERE; http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showca ... =fulltimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 pm

These tiny things hide well.
Good for you-
Well hunted.
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 am

Just looking at your unidentifiable coin
In the first photo it looks like there is four largish dots in the centre.
Could just be the time of day.
Or maybe the 'dots' are indents and it's a cross?

Either way there is a Saxon coin hiding in your field somewhere.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 am

Hi again
Just had a look at your previous mouse head strap end
That is way cool
I love the hackney volunteers button as well.
Overall some great recoveries
All the best

Oxgirl36

Re: Latest Find

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

That is a beauty. Thanks to the greedy, stupid photobucket company I can't see your first one B| But would love to :D

Love to find one of those - well done ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am

Great to see your permission still delivering. I have one exactly the same. And just like you I find similar things on it in similar areas but can find them several years apart. Even though I am sure I covered the area thoroughly when the earlier thing (whatever it was) popped out. I have permissions that I only visit infrequently for all sort of reasons....but still go back to the old faithful field every season. It has been an education.

I love the mouse strapend. Great design. Have you any plans to try and reveal any more detail on this or are you leaving as-is? The round 'coin'.....a whole other story. I was talking about this very topic to hubby last night. You know there is Saxon activity there, I know there is Gaulish on mine, So some of those unidentifiable bits we dig up from time to time may well have been from that period too. So there is a good chance yo have already found a Saxon coin but it was too far gone. I'm sure there will be one lurking somewhere. Exciting permission that keeps getting better, and more fun (which is the same thing) like fine wine. ::g
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

Nice zoomorphic strapend ::g
Have you ever found anything Roman there? It may be a Roman grot? :-/ :-w
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

howard86

Post by howard86 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm

It is a 1 or 2p in the photo with the coin thing? I've got something very similar that turned up in a field I found a roman coin and two brooch fragments that wasn't ID'able on here.
Always had the hopes it was a grot but it looks pretty similar to this in the photos
XP Deus + Garrett Pro Pointer AT

2017 So far:
25 Milled Silver
9 Hammered
3.25 Roman
£7.14 spendage
Lots of coppers and enough lead to roof a house :D

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am
That is a beauty. Thanks to the greedy, stupid photobucket company I can't see your first one B| But would love to :D

Love to find one of those - well done ::g
Thank you the other one can be seen on the UKDFD site with a few of my other finds here,
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showca ... =fulltimer

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm

howard86 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm
It is a 1 or 2p in the photo with the coin thing? I've got something very similar that turned up in a field I found a roman coin and two brooch fragments that wasn't ID'able on here.
Always had the hopes it was a grot but it looks pretty similar to this in the photos
sorry the coin is the wrong way round it is a 1 penny

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Fisher1266X wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am
Nice zoomorphic strapend ::g
Have you ever found anything Roman there? It may be a Roman grot? :-/ :-w
Paul
Havn't found to much roman only two or three pretty grim coins, mostly medieval hammered coins or saxon / viking artefacts.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm

littleboot wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am
Great to see your permission still delivering. I have one exactly the same. And just like you I find similar things on it in similar areas but can find them several years apart. Even though I am sure I covered the area thoroughly when the earlier thing (whatever it was) popped out. I have permissions that I only visit infrequently for all sort of reasons....but still go back to the old faithful field every season. It has been an education.

I love the mouse strapend. Great design. Have you any plans to try and reveal any more detail on this or are you leaving as-is? The round 'coin'.....a whole other story. I was talking about this very topic to hubby last night. You know there is Saxon activity there, I know there is Gaulish on mine, So some of those unidentifiable bits we dig up from time to time may well have been from that period too. So there is a good chance yo have already found a Saxon coin but it was too far gone. I'm sure there will be one lurking somewhere. Exciting permission that keeps getting better, and more fun (which is the same thing) like fine wine. ::g
Thanks for your reply it does seem strange that I've found plenty of artefacts from that period but no coins as such, still I'm pretty happy with the finds I have had over the years , I can understand finding the hammered coins that I have as It is mentioned in the doomsday book as having bee hives on the site, and later on there was a motte & bailey castle very near by and the grounds were probably used for hunting as a lot of the area was a deer park,

Return to “Finds - Stories”