yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am

Hi all
4 hours on a section of old parkland..,
Last time I hit this bit was with a Tesoro golden sabre
Happy memories from nearly a year ago-wish I hadn’t sold it!
.The sun was out the wind was fresh
Time to get the GMP oot fer a sesh
Here’s the results...nothing shiny
Other than a slick silver coin.
Triumph of the day was the very definite bit of victorian brass terret finery
No doubt on the I’d of that one :D
A muckle buckle right next to a smaller chap
A totally wazzed bent like a love token guinea gaming token
A strange lead plug thing
Two big lumps of casting waste
A Couple of thimbles
And a once was lovely gilt flowery button.

So all in all a lovely day out in the fresh air in great surroundings
With not much to show but all treasure in its own way
(That’s what the kids reckon when they get to see it all anyway)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 790 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Easylife » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Did I detect an element of rhyme, of your descriptive detecting time.
There may be no silver or gold, though the treasure is that they are old.
Your finds depict social history, though some remain an eternal mystery.
:))
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am
Did I detect an element of rhyme, of your descriptive detecting time.
There may be no silver or gold, though the treasure is that they are old.
Your finds depict social history, though some remain an eternal mystery.
:))
Well said
I just write summat then look back and some of it rhymes
Then I end up tinkering wi it
Usually make it worse :D

A hint of a rhyme!
To call it much more
Would be a crime
So gather round
Come See what’s
Lurking
underground
What once was lost has
Now Been found.
I’m the prince of mince
A hunter of stuff
Just a shame
Most
Turns out to be guff
;)
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 671 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Steve_T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 am

That's a nice selection, really like the terret thingamy wotsit dinge dangler

A good days haul and great photos, thanks for sharing

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 am

Steve_T wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 am
That's a nice selection, really like the terret thingamy wotsit dinge dangler

A good days haul and great photos, thanks for sharing

Regards Steve
Cheers mun
Thanks for putting a name to the terret doodah!
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 671 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Steve_T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am

The name sort of works.....lol ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

User avatar
Saki
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Has thanked: 839 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Saki » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

Thats a good haul. I'd be delighted with that. Is that two thimbles?
The lead thingy too, is it a temp hole repair in a.....?

Good Rabbie Burns impression though :))
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."


User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Saki wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am
Thats a good haul. I'd be delighted with that. Is that two thimbles?
The lead thingy too, is it a temp hole repair in a.....?

Good Rabbie Burns impression though :))
Two thimbles!!
A landmark occasion :D
Ones very narrow and long...fer a different finger?
The lead whotsit is an enigma...it has a shallow depression on the fat end??
With Regards to the ‘poetry’
More like third degree burns .
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Rayc
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:03 pm
Location: Berwick-upon-Tweed
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Rayc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm

A lot is owed to William Mc'Gonagall.
Great post- had me laughing.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Rayc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm
A lot is owed to William Mc'Gonagall.
Great post- had me laughing.
If billy Connolly likes him that’s good enough for me!
Cheers :D
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

chip
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

What is that terret finery. Looks like spinners for air rifle target practice.
Image

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

chip wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm
What is that terret finery. Looks like spinners for air rifle target practice.
They’d make excellent air rifle targets!

There’s a great website that covers terret and all the other horse brass tackle
Thenationalhorsebrasssociety.org
Is the place to be ::g
Cheers
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Twit
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Has thanked: 1316 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Twit » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Good thing you knew it was terret finery, it was just asking for a twitedit.

Many of the items are very local, I also make finds along those lines and though I don't post them, they always bring a feeling of familiarity with them, like being closer to what a place is really about, and there isn't any need for any great history to them to appreciate that ( thankfully :D) .


::g

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

Twit wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Good thing you knew it was terret finery, it was just asking for a twitedit.

Many of the items are very local, I also make finds along those lines and though I don't post them, they always bring a feeling of familiarity with them, like being closer to what a place is really about, and there isn't any need for any great history to them to appreciate that ( thankfully :D) .


::g
::g
You’re right
It all adds to the fabric of a site for me...
I like finding bits and bobs from time gone by-
The lack of shiny things tells a story for sure....
However -across the burn from this site is where the big house was
That’s next in my sights...
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Twit
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Has thanked: 1316 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Twit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am

"The lack of shiny things tells a story for sure...."

Very true. I like to get a feel for a place as far as I am able to, so I don't even mind an empty site to that effect. Even if it doesn't prove that nothing much occurred there, it still paints something of a picture. I like the countryside, so if say a hillside shows of being little used or mostly uninhabited, it still opens up a world on how it might have been instead, left to itself, grazed or forest at some point in time. This is one reason I read up on some geology... I like to know the sort of timeframe I am looking at in the layer I am detecting. Some places might be two thousand years within reach, others a few centuries or less , and others just a confused jumble because of mixing etc. ( e.g. beaches, rivers sometimes, deeply ploughed land, or where hillsides have erroded onto a valley floor below) . Sink rates of objects is talked of a lot, but real world changes to the surface of any land may give a completely different story.


I was also considering chipping in with some rhyme, but it's late now and not really the time. Another day and I will bring out my pen, and put down a verse or two to amend.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 1920 times
Been thanked: 1100 times
Contact:

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Twit wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am
"The lack of shiny things tells a story for sure...."

Very true. I like to get a feel for a place as far as I am able to, so I don't even mind an empty site to that effect. Even if it doesn't prove that nothing much occurred there, it still paints something of a picture. I like the countryside, so if say a hillside shows of being little used or mostly uninhabited, it still opens up a world on how it might have been instead, left to itself, grazed or forest at some point in time. This is one reason I read up on some geology... I like to know the sort of timeframe I am looking at in the layer I am detecting. Some places might be two thousand years within reach, others a few centuries or less , and others just a confused jumble because of mixing etc. ( e.g. beaches, rivers sometimes, deeply ploughed land, or where hillsides have erroded onto a valley floor below) . Sink rates of objects is talked of a lot, but real world changes to the surface of any land may give a completely different story.

I was also considering chipping in with some rhyme, but it's late now and not really the time. Another day and I will bring out my pen, and put down a verse or two to amend.
Howay man
Get the verse on the go
Bet your a dude
With unrivalled flow
Rhymes a poppin
Skit no stopping
Words to blow your mind
A benefit to humankind
I might be talkin oot ma hole
But I reckon
You’d dump the laureate
On the dole
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

User avatar
Twit
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Has thanked: 1316 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: yesterdays ‘haul’ no shiny treasure just echoes of yesteryear

Post by Twit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Lowland wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm
Twit wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am
"The lack of shiny things tells a story for sure...."

Very true. I like to get a feel for a place as far as I am able to, so I don't even mind an empty site to that effect. Even if it doesn't prove that nothing much occurred there, it still paints something of a picture. I like the countryside, so if say a hillside shows of being little used or mostly uninhabited, it still opens up a world on how it might have been instead, left to itself, grazed or forest at some point in time. This is one reason I read up on some geology... I like to know the sort of timeframe I am looking at in the layer I am detecting. Some places might be two thousand years within reach, others a few centuries or less , and others just a confused jumble because of mixing etc. ( e.g. beaches, rivers sometimes, deeply ploughed land, or where hillsides have erroded onto a valley floor below) . Sink rates of objects is talked of a lot, but real world changes to the surface of any land may give a completely different story.

I was also considering chipping in with some rhyme, but it's late now and not really the time. Another day and I will bring out my pen, and put down a verse or two to amend.
Howay man
Get the verse on the go
Bet your a dude
With unrivalled flow
Rhymes a poppin
Skit no stopping
Words to blow your mind
A benefit to humankind
I might be talkin oot ma hole
But I reckon
You’d dump the laureate
On the dole
::g
Well I try... I try
But it's all on the fly
That foulsome creature
That spits on my pie
Swat it or scrunch it
It's no damned good
Unless you like wings
Mixed up in your food.

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories”