Today's site

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
KernowViking

Today's site

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 pm

I hope this is in the right place, if not, my apologies and let me know where to put it! (None of that!)

So today my partner and I went on our first hunt.

My boss owns a farm with around 160-170 acres of fields and cliff top path and pasture, so he was more than happy to give me exclusive access.

Parked the car, walked down to the very bottom field and put the coil to the ground. Within seconds we had a hit!

A short dig later revealed it to be a clod full of rusty flakes. But the thrill when it started to 'beep' and the muddy fingers made up for the lack of substance.

A couple of minutes later, I lift my first proper find. An iron pot or cup handle of some kind.

Further walking up the field, a couple of second world war small shells and a belt buckle were unearthed.

However, in this field, there seemed to be a lot of small pieces of iron, somewhat slag like, scattered over the whole area. The detector was picking these up with quite a high 60-80 reading?

A couple of the fields we thought to have interesting features proved largely fruitless, besides a couple of hand forged nails. Another turned out 2 buttons and a 3 foot heavy iron chain!

Overall, we very much enjoyed it. I do however wish to stop myself digging every little buzz or bing, as threads of coke can and what appeared to be countless aluminium squeezy tubes (like the superglue kind), did grow rather frustrating.

But when these small things along side the tiny lumps of iron are being picked up in the coin range, I have no idea how to go about it.

Tonight I'll be re-researching the area and heading out again to more specific areas of the land, as given the fact it's so close to iron age and medieval sites, there must be more there.

So points or criticism are much invited as I've yet so much to learn!

All the best

Rob

Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

Steve_T

Re: Today's site

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Some places you will find lots of rubbish, keep removing bit bit and the finds wil appear, look at the tips for you specific detector so you can set it up to work better and help you understand what it's telling you. The more rubbish you dig you will learn the tones, and the good stuff also, don't expect to find something where you think it might be, it can be anywhere, time well spent will reveal any hot spots

It's on the left down a bit for detectors

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you for the advice Steve. I did have a look at the instruction guide Garrett sent with the detector. After an hour or 2 I did change to the relic setup, but obviously I'll have to keep adjusting til I hopefully get it right!

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Plenty of advice here and on you tube that will assist you to get the best settings, it's not exact as ground and sites vary, but it's a good starting point, and will help you to know what to adjust to hone the machine

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------

Albert Einstein

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Looks like you had a good day out.
Believe you are using the 400i, would be interested in seeing how you get on in relic mode.
Have had the 400i for nearly 18 months and use in Custom mode, with iron audio off, discriminate anything below 60 and 2 blocks off max sensitivity. Settings have found Silver, Copper, Bronze, Brass and lead, plus aluminium.
Generally find anything over 95 is large iron. Do tend to dig everything that beeps, as already said once rubbish is removed , you can`t detect it again. 84/85 tend to be shottie caps but is also the same as a pound coin.
Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your finds.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm

I did switch to Relic mode after a few hours. It did help with the tiny rust lumps, I tried to ignore anything velow 30, but being my first trip out I dug everything!

I'm about to put up a couple of photos of my finds of the day!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:22 pm

The tubes are Mastitis tubes..... dairy farm at a guess or that is where the muck comes from. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:29 pm

So here's a few of yesterdays items, not a bad volume of stuff I suppose!

Scrap iron!
iron.jpg

My first find! Iron cup handle or some kind of hook?
firstfind.jpg

Mix of pottery, porcelain shards, flints
finds2.jpg

And, a flat button!
button2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Jcmaloney it was a dairy before it was ploughed for cabbages!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Pottery and button all looks around 1700`s-1800`s so your getting there. Things like the tubes and bits of alloy are very close to silver coins so you can`t really ignore them. You are finding small non-ferrous so you are in the right ball park ....... you`ll learn about the big iron eventually. Most of them are hooks/chain links from various agricultural machinery. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:42 pm

The aluminium tubes are fondly known as 'moo tubes' and, as they give off such a cracking signal, they are the bane of everyone's lives. Just goes with the territory.

It's a good idea to dig everything when you first start with a machine as this will give you a feel for what's what, but once digging iron starts to get less exciting you can use the iron audio to check a signal or. better, open up the discrimination so you hear everything. This will give you a far better picture of the land and save you having to dig everything. I used to run mine in all metal and only disced iron out in iron-infested areas.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 pm

The difference in signal between the tubes and everything got me really excited.

I have spoken to some elder locals who have pointed me at 3 areas in different fields to focus my search.

Do you think it would be worth returning? Or focus my efforts in finding new ground?

I can hardly say I was thorough!

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Some fields are detected over and over, even better after ploughing it turns the soil and moving finds in a better position to detect

Fields that could be claimed "done to death" still have life in them

By all means look for other permissions for variety, but carry on with what you have

Regards Steve

Albert Einstein

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep at it but be more thorough. I covered a very small portion of each field just to get a feel for it.

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 am

Sometimes I find you have to clear the 'rubbish' from a site before the good signals come through, as they can be masked by all that scrap! You will find the area gets quieter as signals become fewer, but what you do get is usually better stuff. It's a painstaking process, but well worth it, and you are doing the Farmer a favour in return for the permission. ::g
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 pm

I use a Minelab and hardly ever dig any iron. I set it to descriminate against small pieces of iron and I recognise the tone for larger iron. Sensitivity up full and i ignore the display and dig every signal except the iron ones. I have developed a strategy for getting permission and it works well for me so if I try a field twice and don't find anything interesting I don't go back. Im sure I have missed out on some good finds but time is presious so I try and find fields with plenty of good stuff on. Once you find a productive field you can find something good almost everytime you go out and it will last you for years.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm

I did start to notice with the bigger iron (the hooks and bolts etc) that it would give a good clear signal, but when I moved off the target slowly I would get the lower iron "crackle".
This wasn't the case everytime, but til I'm sure on what I'm hearing I 'think' I'm going about it the right way.

I'll be going back to the same farm as soon as it stops raining, hopefully by tuesday next week, and focus my efforts to 2 or 3 spots that I have heard interesting things about.

As for permissions, I've been using google earth and the cornwall council website with the map of finds, earth works and crop marks to pick potential farms to ask permission. But when it comes to asking permission, especially this time of year, I'm not sure how to approach them.

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm

It's always best to go armed with some research about their farm. Anything from a crop mark to a bit of history. Something you can chat about, build a rapport.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 pm

I will be. Firstly finding good looking sites using satellite maps, the council history map, and then researching the hsitory from there

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 pm

I find fields next churches are usually good. Any fields with lots of footpaths across. Natural mounds have been a magnet for ancient people. South facing slopes have often been farmed for many centuries. Any of those will give you a head start.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I've got my eye on a couple of sites at the top of small hills. I'm also waiting for a response from someone who is adjacent to a ruined 13th century church. Fingers crossed!

Another question, my last chance to get in a field before planting is this saturday.
However, it's forecast to rain all day Friday. Will I be wasting my time after such rainfall?

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 pm

KernowViking wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm
I've got my eye on a couple of sites at the top of small hills. I'm also waiting for a response from someone who is adjacent to a ruined 13th century church. Fingers crossed!

Another question, my last chance to get in a field before planting is this saturday.
However, it's forecast to rain all day Friday. Will I be wasting my time after such rainfall?
Hello 'KernowViking' ::g
Rain is never a reason for not going detecting :D Some detectorists prefer the ground to be on the moist side of wet as they believe the moisture actually enhances the target signal by producing a 'halo effect' around the target object. As you might imagine, there are believers and non- believers in this theory. I'm on the slightly sceptical side of those who accept the theory.

My advice:- Be well equipped, well shod and well prepared and you'll be well rewarded ::g Enjoy and Good Luck - ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you for the advice! I wasn't sure whether it was just a preference to not get wet or if the wet ground messed with the signal

indie

Post by indie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 pm

sweepstick47 is right on all counts and I've learnt a lot from his and other advice, so the fact that I'm on the side of increased magnetism of the soil in damp conditions being a potential good thing may not be entirely correct :P

Anyway, with that disclaimer i've some considerations given that you too are in Cornwall. I live in Devon but spend more time across the border. The ground here can be very highly mineralised which is more of a problem during wet conditions. Water over soil with quantities of iron equals jumpy signals that you have to train yourself to discriminate. I've had a few people look at the soil around me and it's a source of conversation. You can actually see the iron content by sight alone! Another thing we have plenty of is clay, sadly.

I would actually suggest turning the sensitivity up high as you can, ground balance on a non iron spot (difficult), and then keep it on all-metal mode and turn down your sensitivity until you are confident that you're not picking up large deposits of iron two foot below.

Maps and photos
Noticed that you use the cornwall council website. Really good tool that and other counties could really do with one. I know of the people that run that and they know of the people with the 1946 RAF aerial photos, which is my next point.

In '46 I hear it was particularly dry in June and August when the photos were taken. This made crop marks appear more often and there is a field near me the locals call 'saxons field' due to the crop marks that are sometimes shown. You can see that *a lot* of the citations on the Cornwall Interative Map you use site these photos. You can request these photos and I suggest you do so!
Google Earth has a timeline view, which is also pretty handy.

Old-maps.co.uk is a good resource too. There's another tool I use which I've forgotten for now.
LIDAR - well, it's the perfect weapon if you're lucky enough to have land covered by it. I've 250+ acres and it only touches maybe 15%!
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you very much for your advice!

The iron situation; I'm sure if there is a great deal of natural iron at this spot, I did find what looked like a lot of small pieces of slag iron? (if this is what it naturally would be found as, then I stand corrected)

I did find a fair few chunks of natural tin ore, red bands in small bits of rock.

I'm using the Ace 400i, which I believe is "self-grounding"? I'm not sure whether it's self adjusting, or fixed at an average, or how it works at all to be honest!

I think the deepest we dug anything out was about 7-8 inches, and we only just touched clay.

I did keep getting ok signals(60-70), then when I used the PinPointer, it had "vanished", other times the PinPointer would pick up a strong signal, but using the machine normally it didn't pick up any signal what so ever. I'm not sure whether this is ground interference or just lack of experience!

I have been using the council website and google earth history view while studying my current site and looking for new ones. Fantastic tools!

I've used Old-maps while doing some more "in depth" site research, I've found it makes for a good talking point.

Lidar did show me a couple of features that confirmed what I had already seen in crop marks as the whole site is covered, but it didn't shed a great deal of light on a lot else?

I have noticed on the council site the 1946 photos are referenced often. Where would I go about requesting these?

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 pm

KernowViking wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

I did keep getting ok signals(60-70), then when I used the PinPointer, it had "vanished", other times the PinPointer would pick up a strong signal, but using the machine normally it didn't pick up any signal what so ever. I'm not sure whether this is ground interference or just lack of experience!
You need to ground the pointer to the hole ... not so close you zero out the.object ... but close enough you don't have it bleep at thin air.

Look on utube for zeroing pointer to location. Not sure what model you have but it's something that I was mucking up initially. I began to dread situations where it would be needed. It's brilliant now though.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 pm

I'm sorry I should have clarified. I haven't yet purchased a handheld pin pointer, I'm using the PinPointer built in to the Ace 400i

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 pm

KernowViking wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 pm
I'm sorry I should have clarified. I haven't yet purchased a handheld pin pointer, I'm using the PinPointer built in to the Ace 400i
I've got the AT pro ... it has a zeroing function on it. If I find an object I can hit zero and move over where the object was ... but it is .... fluffy ..... in that if I hut zero when I'm on the object it zeros the object out ... no longer registers. ... take my finger off ... object is back. I realised you have to move the Coul away from the object area by two feet say ... then hit zero and move slowly back over the target area. Then it works but only ... if the area I move it to (two foot away), has nothing in the ground there. If there is it all goes very excitable. The other time it fails to register something on zero but is fine without .. is if the object is deep and small.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am

KernowViking wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Rain mixed with clay mixed with freezing weather, and blowing a gale is a very good reason to keep your slippers on and tune in to a few youtube detecting videos!!
I started digging every signal, and have moved to give preference to the clearer distinct signals, I am probably missing stuff, but the time saved by not digging questionable signals, allows me to cover more ground in search of the sweet stuff. That said I dig ploughed soil, my approach would be different for pasture.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

This site is part clay, part soil part muddy old cabbagy goodness!

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”