worst find ever?

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
punkdaddy

worst find ever?

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm

so, being new to all this i have purchased a couple of books (Beginers guide...Julian Evan-Hart & Dave Stuckey and The metal Detector book by Andrew Palmer)
i watched a few youtube videos too and the recommendation was to check by big old trees that people may have rested by....

so i headed straight for the biggest oldest tree on my perm and the machine was buzzing signals everywhere lovely i thought...maybe a coin...my first

No

one samsung phone battery and a beer can (shredded) all about 6 inches deep....i think this wouldn't have been so bad had i not got my hopes so high with the initial beeps and squeaks and had i not planned this assault on the tree with military precision....
damn you optimism

oh well it was a good day in the outdoors
20180309_104145.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

thefiggis

Re: worst find ever?

Post by thefiggis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Yep - we all get days like that. I had an absolute stinker today, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

As for looking under trees, many on here have told of their success with it but so far it's something that's eluded me, never having found anything under one (and there are some very old trees on my permissions).

Hey ho, better luck next time, innit?
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Bad luck for today but better days will come. ::g

I have also had a bad couple of days of finding nothing as well :( . It is always good to read up on methods and help in how and where to detect.

I read up recently that detecting the edges of fields can help with better finds as the field is ploughed every year (x2) sometimes and this pushes all objects towards the edge of fields over time.

Good luck in your future exscursions ::g
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Roberts wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

I have also had a bad couple of days of finding nothing as well :( . It is always good to read up on methods and help in how and where to detect.

I read up recently that detecting the edges of fields can help with better finds as the field is ploughed every year (x2) sometimes and this pushes all objects towards the edge of fields over time.

i will try the edges of the fields...im definitely not giving up tho....thankyou for the advice and encouragement
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Some of us still have those bad days now, sadly :-L

But then the next time you find something great and everything is fine again. It’s the excitement of not knowing each time, the sweet sound when it’s a good target and you know it could be something really good.

Keep going, you’ll get there ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Roberts wrote:

Thats a cracking theory, haven't heard that one before, but the guys on the tractors round here seem to chuck their coke cans into the hedges and miss!!! So we get loads of coke cans around many field margins ;;z ;;z ;;z
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm
Roberts wrote:

Thats a cracking theory, haven't heard that one before, but the guys on the tractors round here seem to chuck their coke cans into the hedges and miss!!! So we get loads of coke cans around many field margins ;;z ;;z ;;z
i told the farmer hes plowing the fields wrong....fortunately hes my father in law so he just shrugged it off
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who had a rubbish day with just one button and two modern 1p's, to show for a couple of hours.

I would love to get into the edges of the fields but on my pastures the grass is always too long as it obviously doesn't get cut! :-/
XP Deus with various coils

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Even trivial items we find have their own story... at least that is what people try to remind me.
_20180311_212559.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pastseeker

Post by Pastseeker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself, everyone have bad days on the field .. Go back on another day and could be your best day ever.. Its not everyday you can enjoy the fresh air and the freedom of a field.... even if that all you have to show..

Chin up

Jim
XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

chip

Post by chip » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 pm

I have only ever found one thing that hasn’t ended up in the bin and that’s a tiny roman coin. But still enjoy a days detecting even if it has only resulted in a pocket full of scrap. It’s like doing the lottery “you got to be in it to win it”
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:35 pm

I was back on my 8 acre pasture today. 98 targets dug for just a £1 coin, two very worn coppers and a chunky tag – so 94 bits of scrap that were mostly green waste. Disappointing but kind of expected on this one but it has produced a few good medieval finds previously so worth a go. I have also found that most of the good finds were within about 4 metres of the field boundary and hardly anything further in on this particular field. I guess that people gathered at the field edges and also tacked up horses there from my finds. It's just nice to be out but another day, another plan of attack. :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Found a .50 cal bullet once, and then another and another, I then found another twenty odd still joined together, these were attached to a very large lump of rusty iron which had a thin section about a yard long but bent at 45 degrees, I went and got the farmer and he started muttering about coppers walking all over his field, I later found out it was a plane crash site and he dug a six foot hole and buried it in situ!

And I got booted off the permission.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 am

Jeez, worst ever find? Try worst ever loss! When you find something quite special and then just lose it, it is better to have not found it in the first place. :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 am

Yep that happens! The trouble with big old tree's is that the people resting by them often leave their ring-pulls and sandwich foil wrappers, and shooters use them as hides or rifle-rests and leave their spent cartridges too. The best I have done whilst sheltering from the rain under a big old gnarly oak, was an 1838 Viccy fourpence. Keep going though, I found nothing but scrap this weekend!
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Detectski

Post by Detectski » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am

Could've been worse, there was an episode of detectorists where they found a Jim'll fix it badge... ;;z

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Detectski wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am
Could've been worse, there was an episode of detectorists where they found a Jim'll fix it badge... ;;z
I loved that show... I'm scared I'll become a ringpul expert
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm

punkdaddy wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm
Detectski wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am
I loved that show... I'm scared I'll become a ringpul expert
A member found a metal jim'll fixit badge here on these forums a couple of months ago.. brought back memorys and some light humor =)) .
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Slightly off topic but I've run out of cigarettes before now and that's a very bad day ...... but I've walked an hour and half out onto the moors before now. My reward .... enjoy the views and the tranquility .... have my sandwiches and a cigarette after. Then I remembered ... I had the cigarettes .... the lighter was an hour and a half away on the blessed car seat .... that was a worse day.

But I'm detecting my own garden at present which is quite large and I've had some lovely finds I'm pleased with but I had one day ..... signal was over 25cms. .. I've learned to dread those so far .... sounded like a coin .... dug down ..... dug further down .... had to dig wider to dig further down .... got to a foitnand a half the detector was screaming coin ... had to have that coin .... further still =P~ cummon my precious I wants it ..... then I hit breeze blocks all in a jumble .... got in a hole through them .... wonders what on earth was clanging so loud ... wondered what all these breezblocks were too .... fought through that ... deeper still ..... then I found it ..... a ruddy pond pump and the blocks were the edging stones. At some point it had been thrown in and filled in. Urghhhh ... next day I found a bicycle not far from it. Then the ground froze that night and we had a few days of minus 8 here .... tried to fill it all in the next day .... earth frozen solid in piles. Which I need to go do at some point. I've also found a pole 2 foot down which sounds like a coin .... I've gone down 3 feet around it and it won't budge ... so I have up and buried that again. I've dug it twice since till I've remembered. It WON'T happen again B|
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I read yours as a fun post, so thanks Punkdaddy.
But perhaps I just have an ironic sense of humour. x;
Aside from which ; true optimism is when you hope to find the beer can still unopened and nicely cool on a hot day :D

As a newbie myself I've only detected around one big tree stump, and found brambles, but then I realised - 200 years ago that wasn't a big tree at all ..so who would bury their stuff there ! ?

Re.. edge of fields, my greatest experience along these is founded in a fine (and still growing) collection of brass shotgun and .22 cartridge cases ..because those who hunt wildfowl and rabbit quietly follow the hedgerows so as to not scare their prey away, and then fire through the hedge ..leaving me to pick up their cartridge cases at my own convenience. Otherwise I find all sorts of ferrous bits from farming, like x3 plough tips, because again repairs are often carried out at the side of a field. Of course we then have all sorts of scraps from burnt rubbish, plus the odd nail & off-cut of wire along fences ..it's just for a bit of diversity. -=+:-P

I now prefer to start my detecting pattern 10 -15 ft from the hedgerow, into the pasture or field a bit, but that's because I'm renown for being overly generous. I leave those cartridges for my fellow metal detectors. [:)

Keep it up pD, Keep it upbeat :))
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 pm

yeah this was only intended as a bit of fun. ive really enjoyed all the stories from everyone so much

thanks for making me feel welcome...im back out again friday so fingers crossed eh?
Bukowski

TESORO GOLDEN SABER

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm

OooO OooO

Mind you I reckon that big tree heard you were into wood-working and crossed its roots when it saw you coming

:D
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”