My First Site- Take 2!!

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
KernowViking

My First Site- Take 2!!

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Evening all!

I had free morning today between packing boxes and moving house. Nice and dry day before the "Beast from the East" returns (apparantly!) So decided to head back to my first site after doing a few days research.

I narrowed it down to 1 field for today which has been known to produce Iron age flints and potware aswell as a bronze axe fragment, and an 8-9m round house looking crop mark.

So we headed over full of excitement and anticipation, keeping our eyes downward.

I found an odd shaped lump of stone, which I will post a photo of soon, somewhat "T" shaped, along with a couple of thumbnail scrapers.

Now to the "round house field". We spent a good 4 hours scanning the small field. We found 2 20mm shell casings, 4 iron bolts, an iron washer and a very small bronze looking 'thing'. Again a photo will follow later.

Am I right in thinking an area with such known and concentrated history can be so scarce in finds, or am i just doing something wrong?

Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

oldartefact

Re: My First Site- Take 2!!

Post by oldartefact » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Alot depends on the following:
1. has the field ever been ploughed
2. has the field been subject to detecting by others
3. how long have you spent on the field.
4. how experienced you are.
Just have confidence, keep at it, sooner or later something nice will turn up somewhere, keep your expectations low and your hopes high, and you wont go far wrong.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 pm

The field has been ploughed once a year for the last 5 years, before that it's been a dairy farm for hundreds.

Knowing the owner of the farm, he has said no one has ever detected as fair as he is aware since he's lived there, so nearly 60 years.

In this one field, I've spent a total of around 6 hours, it's not a very big field.

I am incredibly inexperience, with my total search time at under 10 hours!

I am feeling a little disheartened I suppose, my 18th century flat button is my greatest detector prize thus far, otherwise it's all been flints!

Even though I seem to be scrap collecting, I enjoy just for the fresh air and to be able to get out and literally think of nothing else for a few hours!

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Configuring your detector for each site is also very important, just wondering what detector are you using as there is a lot of knowledgable members on the forum and they can give a lot of good advice in configuring your machine and in giving tips etc.

As a beginner swing low and slow and small steps as to not miss out on any targets.

Good luck and perseverance. ::g
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm using a Garrett Ace 400i, with Iron Audio on and no discrim and 80% sensitivity otherwise it'll find the eyelets in my boots!

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 am

I do not have the 400i myself but there is a forum section dedicated to the 400i and has a lot of info and you can always ask for tips in there.

Garrett 400i forum section

If you are new to detection you might want to add a little discrimination at first or use one of the factory programs until you get used to detecting and finding "boot eyelets" is a good thing as smaller targets should be detected ::g Most objects found while detecting are usually a small size and coins/buckles/buttons the most often found.

If your field has anything in it you will definatly find it with the 400i and a good configuration. Good luck :)

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

Thank you :)

Yeah i have had a look through and have read/recieved conflicting advice on discrimantion.

Some have told me to leave it fully open to get a feel for the different noises, others have said cut the iron out straight away.
The trouble I'm having at the moment is that most of the iron i'm finding seems to be picked up as anything as low as 25-30, some larger bits between 40 and 50, and anything again from 65 through 90!

Before I head out again I'll definitely ask on how I should set up and perhaps watch a few Youtube set-up videos

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:45 am

KernowViking wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

Yeah i have had a look through and have read/recieved conflicting advice on discrimantion.

Some have told me to leave it fully open to get a feel for the different noises, others have said cut the iron out straight away.
The trouble I'm having at the moment is that most of the iron i'm finding seems to be picked up as anything as low as 25-30, some larger bits between 40 and 50, and anything again from 65 through 90!

Before I head out again I'll definitely ask on how I should set up and perhaps watch a few Youtube set-up videos
Yes it is good to read up a little and get a tips, just a heads up that not all videos and guides on the internet are written by experts so best to have an open mind.

To be honest for iron it is best to just discriminate it at first until you master the machine, i say this in the sense that detecting with iron sounds is good but actuly detecting the iron is a pain and is usualy targeted at detecting forged iron artifacts. If you wish to just detect noble metals then add a little discrimination. (copper/brass/bronze/silver/gold and their dirivatives)

You might get a little more depth with 0 discrimination and other tweaks but to be honest as a new detectorist it isnt worth the hassle for that 2cm's extra.

Just an open opinion as a detectorist ::g

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 am

I really do appreciate the advice! Besides shell casings, I've only found a button and a small bronze 'something' (half a 5 pence size flake), the rest has all been iron!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 am

KernowViking wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

The Garrett machines all have a good reputation and are excellent value for money IMHO.

I do not know the numbers for the 400i but iron mainly comes in with low numbers, but also often in the very high numbers. BUT rusty iron often gives indications that it is a good target, also something like a link from a chain with a large hole in it will often confuse even a high end detector. You have only been detecting for a very short period, but with experience you will learn the machine and responses it gives better and dig less iron, but even experienced detectorists sometimes get fooled and dig iron.
I would say leave the discrimination open, if you do not you will never learn the full range of responses from the machine and therefore be more likely to miss good targets.

You said you have 160-170 acres, a permission many on here would give an arm and leg for, so try another area there might be less iron in other fields. Also remember that iron indicates that people have been in the area, so there is a good chance other items have also been lost. Part of my one permission is basically iron free ..... but it is also gold / silver / brass / bronze free and you can spend 30 minutes without a single bleep from the machine (then its likely to be a nail from a horse shoe!).

You sounded slightly disillusioned, I do not know what you expected but many newbies anticipate more frequent "good" finds than there are in reallity and this accounts in a large part for the high turn over and number of detectorist that pack up after trying the hobby for a short while.

You said "Even though I seem to be scrap collecting, I enjoy just for the fresh air and to be able to get out and literally think of nothing else for a few hours!", that is way to consider the hobby - a good reason to get out into the countryside and get some fresh air which combined with the exercise of walking around has to be good for your health. Initially especially consider any good finds to be a bonus.

You have a promising permission, stick with it as shown in the "The grass is not always greener" thread trying to get extra permissions is not always the answer.

By following the good advice on the forum and gaining experience finds will eventually come.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:07 am

Had to smile as I said do not initially discriminate iron, but while I was typing my reply Roberts posted saying to discriminate.

Here is a good thread explaining why you should not discriminate or at least keep discrimnation wide open viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98891

Evan

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am

I wouldn't so much say disillusioned, I was just probably expecting to more than just agricultural waste!

But each bit I pick up is one step closer to a clear field of the good stuff!

It is a fantastic area of land I will say. There is a lot of history here, just need to find it!
Unfortunately they started spraying while I was out yesterday and will be ploughing at the end of the week. Which means its a no go til October.

As you say, I will try to find a site for the summer which has had more obvious activity, like a footpath or such, so I can experience different types of area (agricultural, grazing, public etc).

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 am

KernowViking wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 pm
The field has been ploughed once a year for the last 5 years, before that it's been a dairy farm for hundreds.

Knowing the owner of the farm, he has said no one has ever detected as fair as he is aware since he's lived there, so nearly 60 years.

In this one field, I've spent a total of around 6 hours, it's not a very big field.

I am incredibly inexperience, with my total search time at under 10 hours!

I am feeling a little disheartened I suppose, my 18th century flat button is my greatest detector prize thus far, otherwise it's all been flints!

Even though I seem to be scrap collecting, I enjoy just for the fresh air and to be able to get out and literally think of nothing else for a few hours!
Many thanks for your response the thing that stands out to me is that you've only detected for 10hrs, so are relatively inexperienced.. If there is stuff in range you will find it, that is 1000% certain, and if its not there you wont... again 1000% certain. If you keep going in the face of blank days, you blank days will eventually morph into interesting days, and if you are fantastically lucky you may strike silver and gold (but it has to be there to find it)... there is no magic formula, no buttons to press, no advice on how to swing your coil, or which pointer to buy, the very best I can offer is never never never give up, and enjoy the journey.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 am

I was thinking this. If I had spent months walking wall to wall on every part of this site, then fair enough to be disheartened. But I've only walked wall to wall in the smallest of 11 fields, and the rest I just had very quick rough go over to get a feel for things. It is a shame I can't get back on the farm now til atleast October. I can say it has provided many eye's only finds! Lots of flint scrapers and pot fragments

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 am

Hi. I would say don't be too disheartened. I'm 64 and started detecting 8 months ago. Now retired and being a committee member on my village history group I have spent many many hours on some very large permissions around where I live. We know there was Roman and medieval activity around I live and I've turned up artefacts from those periods. BUT. i have a permission for a very large pasture that to anyone's knowledge has never been ploughed and certainly hasn't been touched for 35 yrs, probably never detected. I had great expectations but all I turned up with a methodic search were some drink cans, a hubcap and a couple of buckets full of modern ferrous. God knows how the stuff got there, but it's just a case of keeping the faith. Something nice will eventually turn up.
Garrett Ace 250
KKMoon GP pointer
Always covered in mud

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 am

We started at roughly the same time. Both with garrets both in Cornwall both on farmland. Even though it's my garden it's only been a garden for 20 years. Time enough for plenty of garbage to have amounted. But in amongst that are snippets of the farming past. All of it iron. I'm invested however because I live here. So I want to know the history. But I have watched a LOT of videos on utube.

I have no idea if there are better out there I'm sure they are. But search for garret at pro and up comes two main players ... Aquachigger (who I've decided I'm not keen on), and Nugget Noggin. He's all a bit yeeee ha and very very enthusiastic but I like the format. And he's been detecting for 10 years full time. And he always shows his finds which to me are oooooook =P~ .... but then he shows the trash he dug that day .... good grief I just didn't think it was possible. On some videos it is dumpy bags and about 10 of them. One day.

So when I was able to use my detector I had hours of utube behind me and I had a rough plan. I'd have it on pro .... I like the fact that as you get closer it gets louder. I like the tones better. And as a newbie I don't know the difference between standard and pro so .... pro it was. Set descrimination to 15. It meant I got a lot of stuff but I didn't get the decayed too much stuff. And had a whale of time. Then as the days went by .... dropped descrimination to 13 .. it seemed like a sweet spot. Some very rusty stuff but also some good stuff plus the usual.

... anyhow I've now tried a day of descrimination fully open. Yeah it's OK I prefer it at 13 tho ... and some days I treat myself to just coins only. Descrimination at 39 and go for it. And since that ... I've been approached by a farmer who said go for it on his farm. But prior to that all my experience was a bit as a kid .... and 10 whole days worth in my garden, but it is the whole day non stop, sun up to sun down I don't muck about, which is 200 foot by 50. And a paddock next door slightly bigger. I've got loads of signals ... but I have to dig them all ... cause sometimes it's a gem ... like my favourite thing so far .... my "our own make" button. Pride of place.

I think your problem is a very simple one. You just haven't been often enough for your trash/good finds ratio to have increased. You've always got the beach now if the land is being used or sprayed/ploughed etc I put the list of beaches on your hello post.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:07 am
Had to smile as I said do not initially discriminate iron, but while I was typing my reply Roberts posted saying to discriminate.

Here is a good thread explaining why you should not discriminate or at least keep discrimnation wide open viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98891

Evan
Ha ha yes i saw that and assumed that you were typing while i was, You are right in keeping discimination open as it does open up oppurtunitys but will take a bit of getting used too, hence i stated a bit of discrimination until one gets used to the beast.

As a 1st time unexperienced detectorist it is good to hear the iron sounds but not to dig all the iron as it will get tiring. =))

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Rhumours wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 am
We started at roughly the same time. Both with garrets both in Cornwall both on farmland. Even though it's my garden it's only been a garden for 20 years. Time enough for plenty of garbage to have amounted. But in amongst that are snippets of the farming past. All of it iron. I'm invested however because I live here. So I want to know the history. But I have watched a LOT of videos on utube.

I have no idea if there are better out there I'm sure they are. But search for garret at pro and up comes two main players ... Aquachigger (who I've decided I'm not keen on), and Nugget Noggin. He's all a bit yeeee ha and very very enthusiastic but I like the format. And he's been detecting for 10 years full time. And he always shows his finds which to me are oooooook =P~ .... but then he shows the trash he dug that day .... good grief I just didn't think it was possible. On some videos it is dumpy bags and about 10 of them. One day.

So when I was able to use my detector I had hours of utube behind me and I had a rough plan. I'd have it on pro .... I like the fact that as you get closer it gets louder. I like the tones better. And as a newbie I don't know the difference between standard and pro so .... pro it was. Set descrimination to 15. It meant I got a lot of stuff but I didn't get the decayed too much stuff. And had a whale of time. Then as the days went by .... dropped descrimination to 13 .. it seemed like a sweet spot. Some very rusty stuff but also some good stuff plus the usual.

... anyhow I've now tried a day of descrimination fully open. Yeah it's OK I prefer it at 13 tho ... and some days I treat myself to just coins only. Descrimination at 39 and go for it. And since that ... I've been approached by a farmer who said go for it on his farm. But prior to that all my experience was a bit as a kid .... and 10 whole days worth in my garden, but it is the whole day non stop, sun up to sun down I don't muck about, which is 200 foot by 50. And a paddock next door slightly bigger. I've got loads of signals ... but I have to dig them all ... cause sometimes it's a gem ... like my favourite thing so far .... my "our own make" button. Pride of place.

I think your problem is a very simple one. You just haven't been often enough for your trash/good finds ratio to have increased. You've always got the beach now if the land is being used or sprayed/ploughed etc I put the list of beaches on your hello post.
It's not a lot of time to find good stuff! I'm really pleased with my eyes only finds, lots of flints and pottery fragments, and love the fresh air. We're currently moving house so it was great just to clear my head.

My grandfather has about an acre of land, the house built in the 1840's. For 60 years it was a school and it's stood next to a chapel. He suggested I have a poke around the garden to see if anything pops up. I had a few nice hits, only for him to say "I'm surprised you picked those up with the copper earth grid under the lawn"... :-L

I've had a look at the list of council owned beaches and they're all big tourist beaches. I went out with someone I know a few years ago up to one of the beaches near Newquay, and we came away with 3 carrier bags of ring pulls, bottle tops and if I remember right about 13 pence.

The whole palava with the Duchy beaches makes for a sore head!

I'm currently chasing a couple of other dairy farms in the area, fingers crossed for those!

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 pm

day2.jpg
This is the haul from yesterday. Mostly shell casings, but a large stone "thing" and a small piece of what looks bronze like? I'll be posting in the i.d. section shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm

KernowViking wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm
Rhumours wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 am

It's not a lot of time to find good stuff! I'm really pleased with my eyes only finds, lots of flints and pottery fragments, and love the fresh air. We're currently moving house so it was great just to clear my head.

My grandfather has about an acre of land, the house built in the 1840's. For 60 years it was a school and it's stood next to a chapel. He suggested I have a poke around the garden to see if anything pops up. I had a few nice hits, only for him to say "I'm surprised you picked those up with the copper earth grid under the lawn"... :-L

I've had a look at the list of council owned beaches and they're all big tourist beaches. I went out with someone I know a few years ago up to one of the beaches near Newquay, and we came away with 3 carrier bags of ring pulls, bottle tops and if I remember right about 13 pence.

The whole palava with the Duchy beaches makes for a sore head!

I'm currently chasing a couple of other dairy farms in the area, fingers crossed for those!
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a beach rat so eagerly scanned the beach list. But I'm fine with popular. As long as it's legal. Got my NCMD card and a screen grab of the councils website list so I'm free and clear. Head down and mind my own. Of anyone approached I'll happily explain what little I k ow it may lead to a permission.

As for the schoolhouse .... omg lol brilliant ... on my machine I can tab out certain numbers so they won't show. Not sure what the grid registered but if it's range is small you can ignore or tab it out.

As fr moving house did the same a few years back. It was such a horrific experience this will be my last move. Loads is still in boxes now. But I figure ... box .... wardrobe ... draw ..... different words for the same thing. And summers on its way too ... long evenings of .... 'tectoring lol.

Ypure added pics as I was writing ... omg that hammer looking thing is mad love it
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Rhumours wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a beach rat so eagerly scanned the beach list. But I'm fine with popular. As long as it's legal. Got my NCMD card and a screen grab of the councils website list so I'm free and clear. Head down and mind my own. Of anyone approached I'll happily explain what little I k ow it may lead to a permission.

As for the schoolhouse .... omg lol brilliant ... on my machine I can tab out certain numbers so they won't show. Not sure what the grid registered but if it's range is small you can ignore or tab it out.

As fr moving house did the same a few years back. It was such a horrific experience this will be my last move. Loads is still in boxes now. But I figure ... box .... wardrobe ... draw ..... different words for the same thing. And summers on its way too ... long evenings of .... 'tectoring lol.

Ypure added pics as I was writing ... omg that hammer looking thing is mad love it

All the beaches down here are SSSI, permission is obtainable, and my grandfather used to be in the Coastguard and knows a few of the beach owners which is handy!

I did take not of the readings, but I've miss placed them after having a laugh at my own expense x;

Can't stand moving house. This place is a lot nicer than the last, and hopefully a little more permanent!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

a few years back i got permission to detect a hill settlement ( not fort) and not protected, i spent 2 weeks on the hill and 2 weeks around the perimiter keeping it slow and low. i found absolutely nothing historically wise.

when i say 2 weeks they where 8 hour days ;;z also trying 2 different detectors. sometimes no matter what the history, finds arnt there or to deep to detect ;)

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm
a few years back i got permission to detect a hill settlement ( not fort) and not protected, i spent 2 weeks on the hill and 2 weeks around the perimiter keeping it slow and low. i found absolutely nothing historically wise.

when i say 2 weeks they where 8 hour days ;;z also trying 2 different detectors. sometimes no matter what the history, finds arnt there or to deep to detect ;)

neil.
Hi Neil .... good grief that must have been a bad time. Do you still have access to it. Imagine what could have happened. Enemies around ... panic .... stormed the sttlement ... everyone legged it taking everything with them. Or they didn't make it and everything was taken off them. Tools would have been utilised and weopon's ... cattle taken .... clothing taken ... gold taken .... which would mean nothing left that would endure really. Bet if you were able you'd find plenty of pottery. If there were a river nearby maybe a obvious rout between the two? Had to get water.

The other options were that they moved with the season to follow food and just never came back. Unless your talking a later period of time?

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:06 pm

the archies had been on the previous year and did a ground scan there are the remains of 3 round houses there, behind the hill is a burial mound where they did a small dig and found some beakers ( beaker people). i left that area alone. yes i probably do still have permission but to be honest after all the time ive spent on there as well as the two weeks il be surprised if there is anything to find that the tector will pick up . might give it a go this year if its still the same guy as he was getting on a bit and not in very good health ::g

neil.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm

That sounds like a real downer Neil! You can't even put it down to lack of field time either!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am

KernowViking wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm
That sounds like a real downer Neil! You can't even put it down to lack of field time either!

unfortunately that's the way this game goes sometimes, dont get me wrong i did find things but not relating to the hill age, there will be something there no doubt but i think its out of my range or ive been very unlucky :-L maybe the kruzer in deep mode might open it up a little

neil.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am

THE MOLE wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am
maybe the kruzer in deep mode might open it up a little

neil.
Or a mini digger? =))

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 am

KernowViking wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am
THE MOLE wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am
maybe the kruzer in deep mode might open it up a little

neil.
Or a mini digger? =))
not as funny as you think, i nearly asked the farmer to plough it ::g :))

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 am

I can imagine the frustration!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

here she is in all her glory B|

Return to “Finds - Stories”