Flat gold ring

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Wessexlad

Flat gold ring

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Not so much cleaning as restoring. I found this ring in the road outside my house some time last year. It's clearly been run over and was pretty flat when I found it. I've managed to open it out a little, enough to see that there's a hallmark of some kind at the back, but it's not open enough to see what it is.

Any ideas on how to restore it back to something rounder? I realise it will never get back to its original shape without paying a lot of money but I'd like at least to be able to ID it. Pretty sure it's 9ct and that the stones are diamonds, and I think they're all there, At the moment it's just scrap but it was probably worth a fair bit when new.
IMG_0150a.jpg
IMG_0149a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A bad workman always blames his fools. Sorry, tools. Stupid keyboard.

littleboot

Re: Flat gold ring

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm not sure it is worth restoring tbh.
While I am sure it was 'worth a fair bit when new' I.E. purchase price.....it's scrap value would be about £40 at a guess. Not much more.
I had a similar eternity ring...9ct gold and about 20 small diamonds. I remember it cost 200 about 20 years ago. (I won a competition which meant I had 250 to spend at a local jewelers and I chose this and a pewter tankard with what was left over)
Recently, as I have a problem with arthritis, I have not been able to wear most of my rings....or I am worried about getting them off. I decided to sell this ring and a 9ct gold chain. Took them to a jeweler near Bristol when I was over for Christmas (they don't do 9ct gold in France). So I avoided the Cash for Gold firms. I had done some research and knew the weight of the gold chain and the current price. The valuer offered me £25 shy of what I knew to be best buying price for the chain but it was close enough so I took the deal. Then I showed him the ring and when I was offered 40 I decided not to bother selling it. He said they got offered so many of them and fashions changed.
The ring was in perfect condition too.
That is how the business has made money from the dawn of time. Most of us haven't a clue about diamonds and to us, as buyers, a diamond is a diamond. But of course when we come to want to sell we realise that this is far from the truth!
By all means take it to valuers and get some opinions. Your diamonds may be better than mine. However, as it will doubtless be scrapped it isn't worth doing anything with in a restorative sense. The hallmarks won't make much difference to that either. If you are curious about it's age then you can ask them to force it open to see what it is.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Gold is fairly straightforward, the price that you will get for run of the mill (i.e. most modern) stuff is generally the scrap price. This can vary considerably so before even trying to sell always visit one of the more respectable gold sites like Baird and Co http://www.goldline.co.uk/ to see what you should be getting for scrap. The absence of a hallmark shouldn't make much difference to scrap as any decent gold dealer can easily test to ascertain the quality provided you don't mind the item being damaged. If you do get a chance to sell gold privately at a premium above scrap you would be well advised to give it serious consideration.

Diamonds are a different matter entirely. In my opinion most diamonds sold by jewellers aren't really fit for much more than industrial drilling. If you do buy anything with a diamond in it buy it because you like it and be aware that unless you are forking out big money for the very best it probably won't be worth squat diddly for at least a few hundred years, and probably not even then.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm not sure I'd want to restore it to original condition, I just wouldn't mind seeing it more resembling a ring than it currently does. I'd probably break it in the process though, you can see from the photo that there's a bit of a crease at the back where the hallmark is, it's ready to snap. The scrap value is probably only about £40 so I'll probably just hang on to it as it is.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:32 pm

The only positive I can think of is if it is a rarer designer ring ( not likely) . It would probably be hard to heat to soften with a crease being over the diamonds too. Small diamonds are not worth too much. Otherwise it is a nice find as is, its own bit of history.

::g

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Twit wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:32 pm
The only positive I can think of is if it is a rarer designer ring ( not likely) . It would probably be hard to heat to soften with a crease being over the diamonds too. Small diamonds are not worth too much. Otherwise it is a nice find as is, its own bit of history.

It would be worth opening out just to check for the dreaded CZ stamp. :D

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Well they scratch glass, but I suspect diamond isn't the only substance to do that. On closer inspection you can actually see daylight through the crease at the diamonds, so any serious attempt to force it open would probably result in snapping it in half. If I can get a bright light and a magnifying glass I might be able to read the marks.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm
Well they scratch glass, but I suspect diamond isn't the only substance to do that. On closer inspection you can actually see daylight through the crease at the diamonds, so any serious attempt to force it open would probably result in snapping it in half. If I can get a bright light and a magnifying glass I might be able to read the marks.

They may well be real diamonds, it's just that small diamonds are not priced high. Zirconia and manmade diamond will also scratch glass. I have a good guide bookmarked that I cannot find now, if you search up on those three you will find various explanations. Real larger diamonds are commonly identifiable by their inclusions, cut edges, refractive pattern, and more. Will leave you to search and read up on it, if I eventually find the links I use I'll post them under own topic. If you find a larger diamond/"diamond" their id is worth knowing.

For the hallmarks that is fun and in your own time :D

[ Here is one starter link https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cubic ... vs_Diamond ]

Return to “Cleaning Finds”