Renaissance Wax before and after.

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Rhumours

Renaissance Wax before and after.

Post by Rhumours » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:55 pm

After years of rummaging in river beds and forgotten nooks without the aid of a metal detector I'm now on the loose with one. But whenever I found anything metal before hand ... fire grate .... boot cleaner ... I've always had at it with a sturdy wire brush .... then some nice briwax. ... some use hamerite but it's all a little bit ..... well final then. I like the iron look.

So now I'm finding more jun ....... :-L archeologically significant artifacts X( ... I quickly procured me some wire brushes and some more common or garden wax. Yippee. I use a company I found were the cheapest online ... (take a break) and a (tabloid newspaper) in case you can't name websites for some legal wrath of mods law ... and was about to start scrubbing. Course a few of those things are too tiny. Tooth brushe's are recommended on here. Bought some of those. Cotton buds are used by the experts on time team .... damp ... lift and roll technique's etc .... in the shopping basket. So I should be 'tooled up'.

Then someone asked what's the best wax for coins. Reaissance Wax replied Fred. Well I'd never heard of this but my brother does wood turning so has a large knowledge Base for these things. So I asked him why. Acid free is the main reason. Ohhhhh I said makes perfect sense.

Go online and got some. 200 ml for £12.60 should last me a few years. But then I turned to my tiny bits and what I want to use it on and ... wow. I've identified every bit of small stuff which is helping me build up a picture of the land around my house. But I had found a few shotgun shell plates. One was generic the other had some small writing too trashed to work out. A few letters even though I'd lifted and rolled and toothbrushed. All I'd managed to do was Polish the dirt to a fine glaze.

So today the Renaissance wax arrived and I gave it a go. My tiny button in my profile is guilt lol. I had no idea. But deep in the nooks and crannies it's shiny. An old button I found and id'd by Koala has been transformed from a grubby dull thing into a grubby dull thing with revitalised lettering. And the shotgun shell plate.

After 3 passes with the wax .... before
2018-03-17 13.26.17.jpg
And after
2018-03-17 13.23.47.jpg
I had never thought a wax could help id something that cleaning couldn't ... but it has. Unidentifiable company name. And although the low image quality permitted here doesn't show it ... that casing is from Armstrong & Co of Newcastle Upon Tyne. Small victories I guess but at least it was a win for me.

And many thanks Fred ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Roberts

Re: Renaissance Wax before and after.

Post by Roberts » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Well written

Renaissance wax brings out the details of objects and also preserves the patina and nourishes the metal/patina so well worth using and natural which is even better. ::g

I have waxed objects from 15/18 years ago and they are still preserved with no detoriation whatsover so long lasting as well. Coins that will be placed into the numismatic market are another thing and have to be cleaned delicately whilst not touching the patina as this should be left as it adds 90% to the coin value.

There are a lot of discussions on cleaning and the methods involved but if i have an object that i keep i will mechanicly clean using a mix of tools, (Left in distilled water overnight) and then with magnifying glasses (must have) and things such as steel wool grade 000, toothpick/cotton bud/pin i will mechanicaly clean down to the patina/metal. (tedious but worth the results).

After that and to preserve i will coat with a fine layer of pre mixed "bees wax with terebathine" (terabethine dilutes the bees wax and creates a cream same as Renaissance wax ) I then finish with a quick polish to bring out the details and add a shine.

NOTE: Renaissance wax is also very important to use on patina as it will stop the drying, flaking of said patina. But as said before this is for objects that you keep for your own pleasure as archeologists prefer that the object is kept in its original found state.

Guessing that you will be busy waxing all your finds these next few days :D good luck and happy hunting. ::g
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

On the loose with a metal detector...
Awesome.
Good result with the wax
And enjoyed the read
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

fred

Post by fred » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Well done. Glad to be of help. ::g

It doesn't always work but it's the easiest that I've found so far. It even seems to stabilise bronze disease, although the object has to be completely dry and a few coats are needed. :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello 'Rhumours' A great post and written with some style - Very enjoyable ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I missed this post when you put it up x; luckily I spotted it now as it’s a lovely, well written post. Thank you ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Once I put the wax on I leave it a few seconds and then buff it with a soft toothbrush. This gives the patina a great sheen if that's the look that you require.

gethammered

Post by gethammered » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks for this excellent post just found. I do find that the wax looks great when first put on but does quickly fade so am I doing something wrong? Also, with items such as buckles and small buttons it is often very hard to get the 'hardened' soils off before waxing - anybody know a good way or is it just about soaking for a long time? Or perhaps it never comes off!

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 am

I love the stuff. I used to buy and sell antiquities and it's fantastic for bringing stuff 'up to scratch', as it were.

But I must agree, it does seem to fade after a day or 2?
Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 am

I think when you initially put it on to a dry coin it certainly improves the appearance like many solutions would but after a time it tends to fade, I think its main role is for preserving the artefact.
mrix

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Try buffing it with a soft toothbrush as it dries. Then repeat.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 pm

gethammered wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am
Thanks for this excellent post just found. I do find that the wax looks great when first put on but does quickly fade so am I doing something wrong? Also, with items such as buckles and small buttons it is often very hard to get the 'hardened' soils off before waxing - anybody know a good way or is it just about soaking for a long time? Or perhaps it never comes off!
I tend to leave such items in a bath of olive oil for several months (I know)! I sometimes accelerate the process by thinning down the olive oil 50/50 or 60/40 with white spirit (Not Meths)! mix well and then apply it using cotton buds, leave overnight and check the results and repeat if necessary.

If you do try this, remember these items constitute both chemical and fire hazard potential so keep safety foremost in mind and carry out your testing somewhere safe and well away from food and children. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Quoin wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm
Try buffing it with a soft toothbrush as it dries. Then repeat.
I agree with this tip.
I have found that letting it dry, sometimes overnight, then buffing a coin or button gently with my thumb, often reveals detail. Several repeated coats can work wonders in bringing out the outline of any image left.
After several coats and buffings, I have re applied a coat, then left it for several days before buffing, with good results.

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 pm

gethammered wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am
This is just me but i have found from experience that letting the object dry for a day or two and then mechanically cleaning the mud off is easier and also preserves any patina on the object. If i ever do wet the object it is in distilled water for twenty four hours and then leave too dry and clean.

Magnifying glasses work wonders for getting the tiny bits of mud off around details but is fastidious and time consuming.

Before applying any wax or fixer it is imperitive that the object drys out completely from the inside (2/3 days or more) as putting wax on a humid object or coin will just imprison the humidity and tarnish the object over a few months.
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Useful thread this - thanks. I've found renaissance wax to be excellent too.
Brad

Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

Return to “Cleaning Finds”