Wearing dug up ancient iron jewelley?

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Vikingage

Wearing dug up ancient iron jewelley?

Post by Vikingage » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi there, new to the forum and hobby. My question is is it safe to wear iron jewelry that has been dug up?

I have a viking age iron ring given to me by a friend for my birthday, and I would love to wear it. My other half, however, is convinced that I shouldnt wear it as it could kill me if I cut myself on it somehow as it has been in the ground for a millenia. So basically, is it safe to wear? If not, are there steps I can take to make it safe to wear?

Cheers all.

Danzigman

Re: Wearing dug up ancient iron jewelley?

Post by Danzigman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Welcome to Forum.. I guess you can wear it with no danger, but why.. Who wants to wear a iron ring, and age ?? Guess we need to see some photos, and personally i belive old things belong on a museum, not a finger..
But you can wear it no problem in my wiev.. - Just dont cut yourself.. bodyparts will fall of.. :D
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Hiya-last time i looked ebay is awash with listed as ‘wearable’relics...(not many iron items though)
Love to see the item ::g
Rattly GMP- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................bliss.........................

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 pm

I can see the appeal of wearing something like that. I know nothing grows on gold but iron ? Don’t know. I should think, as long as it’s well cleaned and not abrasive, it should be safe.
Is it actually iron ? Are there any signs of rust ?
Any hint of rust and, personally, I wouldn’t consider wearing it. Try and post a pic.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Vikingage wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:02 pm
Hi there, new to the forum and hobby. My question is is it safe to wear iron jewelry that has been dug up?

I have a viking age iron ring given to me by a friend for my birthday, and I would love to wear it. My other half, however, is convinced that I shouldnt wear it as it could kill me if I cut myself on it somehow as it has been in the ground for a millenia. So basically, is it safe to wear? If not, are there steps I can take to make it safe to wear?

Cheers all.
Will need to be sterilised, using dry heat preferably. Do you have a pic?
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:33 pm

If in doubt bung it in the oven at 100 Celsius for a couple of minutes or soak in Dettol or Dettol spray for a minute or more. Will kill just about all gram +ve and -ve bacteria and the celebrity viruses.
If you are worried then you really don't want to know what's on your keyboard or mobile phone x;

I would be more concerned that the inside of the ring is rough and may abrade your skin giving a route for infection, even if it doesn't occur.

Common cause of tetanus = soil contamination in to open wound; perfect for the average MDF participant ::g

P.S. If you currently wear a ring what do you think lives under it that's different to the old ring?

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pm

If you want to wear it bung i in some domestos and get on with it. It matters not if it is 200 years old, or 200 minutes. Bacteria only has a limited lifespan and the age of the item is immaterial as long as its sterilized. Lots of dirtier and more contaminated things you hold every day....loose change for example. (Who knows where the pound in your pocket has been ...but do you worry about it?)
I disagree profoundly with the idea this belongs in a museum....aka a cardboard box in a basement somewhere never to be seen again.
Its made to wear,
(if it isn't rare),
so do so with flare,
and share.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

f8met

Post by f8met » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 pm

I am guessing iron age rather than iron so would be bronze.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 am

littleboot wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pm
If you want to wear it bung i in some domestos and get on with it. It matters not if it is 200 years old, or 200 minutes. Bacteria only has a limited lifespan and the age of the item is immaterial as long as its sterilized. Lots of dirtier and more contaminated things you hold every day....loose change for example. (Who knows where the pound in your pocket has been ...but do you worry about it?)
I disagree profoundly with the idea this belongs in a museum....aka a cardboard box in a basement somewhere never to be seen again.
Its made to wear,
(if it isn't rare),
so do so with flare,
and share.
I get you.. But live in a country with very strict rules and law around "National Treasure" and artefacts.. Basicly everything older 1535 in coins and everything medieval and back is national treasure, also all odd things, all gold and silver.. all bagseals older than 1800 and then all gold and silver rings and jewelry is "Lost Property" and is handed over to police to be auction away to suport goverment,,.. Only if the oiginal owner can be found or have asked you to search for it you will be rewarded.. So I can only write "It belongs on a museum"... If you get my point.. ::g OooO

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:55 am

I use tools and farm junk I find

those wedges have come in useful a couple of times and a crowbar I found on the beach is now in my tool box.

if its useable / wearable I don't see anything wrong with it.

probably change my mind if a picture was posted

Vikingage

Post by Vikingage » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.
It's my wife that is worried, not me. She is panicking I might cut the kids by accident and give them some horrible disease... I'm trying to get an answer to the point of showing her there is no problem with me wearing it and no risk. (There are no sharp points to it at all...)
And im not an expert at metal, but it looks very much like iron to me... but I see no rust on it...and I would post a picture but I have no idea how. Would love to show you

https://ibb.co/0FvHZxN

Hopefully that did it...

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Vikingage wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm
Thanks for the replies.
It's my wife that is worried, not me. She is panicking I might cut the kids by accident and give them some horrible disease... I'm trying to get an answer to the point of showing her there is no problem with me wearing it and no risk. (There are no sharp points to it at all...)
And im not an expert at metal, but it looks very much like iron to me... but I see no rust on it...and I would post a picture but I have no idea how. Would love to show you

Hopefully that did it...
Look like bronze to me... Very nice ring...

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:07 pm

A Service Post - Image

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 pm

Vikingage wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully that did it...
Tried a magnet? Whatever you do don't tell her it could get bronze disease - the kids will go green and fall apart :D

Vikingage

Post by Vikingage » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Just tried a magnet, no dice. Not iron then... anyone care to weigh in on the likely metal? I have no clue...

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm

I think the answer by f8met above is the most likely. Regards ss47.
A disservice is no service at all.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm

In order to eliminate silver...they can go quite dark sometimes.....then do spit and foil.
But otherwise, yes it looks like copper alloy. (Always the likeliest candidate.)
No problem with wearing the ring posted....a lot of people wear very old jewelry they find or buy on tinternet. (If you are familiar with the movie Gladiator, Connie Nielsen who played Lucilla wore a real Roman period ring as part of her costume.)
To my knowledge no-one has been struck down with Black Death, SmallPox, or a plague of locusts as a result.
Enjoy.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Vikingage wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Just tried a magnet, no dice. Not iron then... anyone care to weigh in on the likely metal? I have no clue...
Density test - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20447&hilit=density

Vikingage

Post by Vikingage » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm

That would be the answer to my problem if I had digital scales... which I dont. Genius, though. What's the best way to clean it? I'm guessing its tarnished, what's the best method if I cant identify the metal?

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 pm

As Danzigman says.... u;@ My advice would be to purchase a small set of digital scales (accurate to 2 decimal places). They are very cheap and easily available from Fleabay.
Ideal for small objects like this....and rings are particularly good as they are easy to tie the thread too and suspend.
Hold off cleaning unless you have a good idea of the metal. What works for silver, for example, will generally do copper alloy no good at all!
Personally, I think it looks cool as it is. So a quick wipe over with an antibacterial wipe and a buff up with a cloth should be ample. If it is bronze/copper you will find that wearing it will produce a lovely natural sheen and polish.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:35 pm

"To my knowledge no-one has been struck down with Black Death, SmallPox, or a plague of locusts as a result".
.........as yet :-O :-SS :D ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm

You could tell your wife that wearing it will rouse the gods and bestow upon you the powers and appetite of a marauding Viking - let us know how you get on ;)

Of course, there are some on here that will tell you her response will be "look sunshine, either the ring goes or....." - out of interest - do you have a spare bedroom? =))

Keep us posted :D ::g

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”