How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Post Reply
detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:55 pm

I found this old coin today, and caught my attention, as the rim is thicker than the normal coins I find from the Victorian/Modern age.

I also think it could possibly be silver, as it was higher up the conductivity scale than other coins. It's 20mm in diameter.

Sadly, many coins found around here look like someone has plastered 'cement' on both sides. Is it possible to get rid of this crud?

Thanks in advance.
old coin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2975
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 1433 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Cement? Looks just like a knackered farthing. x; :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Mud Max
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:53 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Mud Max » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm

From my own experience, it's highly unlikely that a silver would go like this. It looks like rust so it could be a coin with an iron content. It sounds harsh but you could tap it with a hammer to loosen that much crud, or electrolysis may be the answer.

Either way it's unlikely that you will get much off that I'm afraid, in my opinion. Best of luck though.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE


Jedi Master button finder

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2975
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 1433 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm
It looks like rust so it could be a coin with an iron content.
Or a damp coin drying? :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm
From my own experience, it's highly unlikely that a silver would go like this. It looks like rust so it could be a coin with an iron content. It sounds harsh but you could tap it with a hammer to loosen that much crud, or electrolysis may be the answer.

Either way it's unlikely that you will get much off that I'm afraid, in my opinion. Best of luck though.
I think you are correct in assuming it's not silver.

I reckon it's probably a George III farthing, based on diameter and the thickness of the rim.

Shame it's knackered, around here that would be a pretty good find, if it was in decent condition!
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2975
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 1433 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm
Mud Max wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm
From my own experience, it's highly unlikely that a silver would go like this. It looks like rust so it could be a coin with an iron content. It sounds harsh but you could tap it with a hammer to loosen that much crud, or electrolysis may be the answer.

Either way it's unlikely that you will get much off that I'm afraid, in my opinion. Best of luck though.
I think you are correct in assuming it's not silver.

I reckon it's probably a George III farthing, based on diameter and the thickness of the rim.

Shame it's knackered, around here that would be a pretty good find, if it was in decent condition!
It seems to be mainly down to the metal quality at the time.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Easylife wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm
Mud Max wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm
From my own experience, it's highly unlikely that a silver would go like this. It looks like rust so it could be a coin with an iron content. It sounds harsh but you could tap it with a hammer to loosen that much crud, or electrolysis may be the answer.

Either way it's unlikely that you will get much off that I'm afraid, in my opinion. Best of luck though.
I think you are correct in assuming it's not silver.

I reckon it's probably a George III farthing, based on diameter and the thickness of the rim.

Shame it's knackered, around here that would be a pretty good find, if it was in decent condition!
It seems to be mainly down to the metal quality at the time.
Even early 20th Century coins from the fields around here are often a total mess - the majority are 'crusty.'
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2975
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 1433 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 pm
Easylife wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm


I think you are correct in assuming it's not silver.

I reckon it's probably a George III farthing, based on diameter and the thickness of the rim.

Shame it's knackered, around here that would be a pretty good find, if it was in decent condition!
It seems to be mainly down to the metal quality at the time.
Even early 20th Century coins from the fields are often a total mess - the majority are 'crusty.'
Yep, how they survive depends on the soil type, chemicals used and animal urine. I find sandy soils to be generally less harsh though. I think my oldest reasonable farthing is a William IV. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Dom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:55 am

I used an ultra sonic cleaner on what I thought was a coin just like yours. It was an amazing transformation, turned out to be a copper fairground token. The cleaner made it very bright and coppery, so I rubbed some van dyke solution into the details and it looked old again.
Would only use it on nothing to lose items though.
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
fred
Posts: 7238
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 3451 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by fred » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am

Dom wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:55 am
I used an ultra sonic cleaner on what I thought was a coin just like yours. It was an amazing transformation, turned out to be a copper fairground token. The cleaner made it very bright and coppery, so I rubbed some van dyke solution into the details and it looked old again.
Would only use it on nothing to lose items though.
I agree, it's a good one to start practicing conservation on. ::g Doesn't really matter what as you are unlikely to make it much worse. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Koala
Posts: 4326
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 337 times
Been thanked: 1145 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Koala » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 am

If it doesn't stick to a magnet.

Corroded pre decimal copper coins I soak in caustic. Yes it turns the patina black but they are ruined anyhow. Wash in water. Dry, most of it then comes off with your thumb nail. Please be careful caustic is corrosive.

Doesn't happen too often. But sometimes under the big lump the coins not too bad.


Not a good example as it's in poor condition and a boring George V but here is one I did earlier as they use to say on Blue Peter

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=100454

targets
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by targets » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:59 pm

cookit on the gas stove and dunk in oil or water to remove crud
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

User avatar
Mancave-man
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm
Has thanked: 248 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: How Do I Get the 'Cement' Off this Old Mystery Coin?

Post by Mancave-man » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Don't write it off completely. I have had Roman Denari that looked similar which then were transformed using a touch of electrolysis. Can't harm it to try. Good luck if you do.

Regards,

M-m

Post Reply

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”