Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Post Reply
detectorman5050
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm

I found this coin today on the beach. Was quite happy to find it, as I've never seen a half crown before, plus I don't find many older coins in the sand.

It looks a bit 'sand blasted' after spending about 50 years rolling around in the shingle. It has a dull look to it.

Is there any way I can make it look shiny again, and if so how?

Thanks.

Image


Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 3804
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 814 times
Been thanked: 1935 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by Easylife » Fri May 11, 2018 12:03 am

Not sure, but it is made of cupro-nickel. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

detectorman5050
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

Easylife wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:03 am
Not sure, but it is made of cupro-nickel. x;
Yes, from what I've read it is indeed cupro nickel. I don't really know the significance of that to be honest.

Obviously a coin of little value, though was still curious on cleaning possibilities.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Macroman
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by Macroman » Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 am

Wo,steady on ...that's a very very nice find...why not take it for what it is !!...it's a lovely coin...it's got it's own secrets...leave it be...(just a suggestion!!)...good hunting.. ::g

detectorman5050
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 am

Macroman wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 am
Wo,steady on ...that's a very very nice find...why not take it for what it is !!...it's a lovely coin...it's got it's own secrets...leave it be...(just a suggestion!!)...good hunting.. ::g
Don't get me wrong, I like the coin, I was just referring to financial value. ::g
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 3804
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 814 times
Been thanked: 1935 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by Easylife » Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 am

You could try some metal polish but if rough a tumbler might be the answer. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8846
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 1324 times
Been thanked: 2006 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:00 am

Shiny? Arghh! Personally, I wouldn't clean (and certainly not polish) any coin not just cupro nickel examples. Polishing any coin lowers it's monetary value and numismatic appeal. There is a certain element of appeal in a collection of 'as found' coins.

If you are absolutely set on adding a sheen to cupro nickel coins (without damaging them), then a light 'smear' of vaseline followed by buffing with a soft cloth (not a yellow duster type) will produce the effect. Good Luck ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

User avatar
thefiggis
Moderator
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 1059 times
Been thanked: 1229 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by thefiggis » Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 am

THE FOLLOWING TEXT CONTAINS SCENES SOME DETECTORISTS MAY FIND UPSETTING

I've seen these and other cupronickel coins brought back to shiny with a Brillo pad.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

mowdie
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:28 pm
Location: Taunton
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by mowdie » Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 am

Hi detectorman5050

I cant see any picture of the coin if there is one as I'm on my work pc which is heavily restricted regarding what you can view or access.

However, if you are set on cleaning the coin there are a couple of ways which are generally used.

Soak the coin in a mixture of washing up liquid and hot water to remove any caked on dirt. Which might not be the case with this one as it sounds as if it has been tumbled on a beach for some period of time.

Second is to cover the face with white vinegar and then pour salt all over the coin. this will remove oxidisation.

One I forgot to mention in the original response is to wet the coin and cover it in bicarbonate of soda. A bit more gentle than the vinegar and salt.

If you are determined to polish the coin use t-cut or brasso, both have a fine abrasive in them.

Me personally, I wouldn't clean it.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Kindest regards

Mowdie

User avatar
CTX_Phil
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 pm
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by CTX_Phil » Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 am

I vote for leaving it how it is 👍

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1512
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2072 times
Been thanked: 708 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by SuperRed » Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am

The detail is pretty good as it is. A light brush and I'd leave it at that too.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

PHILLUCKY
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by PHILLUCKY » Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am

Unfortunatly that will never be shiny again, great find tho

sozinho
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:38 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Is There Any Way I Can Make This Half Crown Shiny Again?

Post by sozinho » Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 am

mowdie wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 am
Hi detectorman5050

I cant see any picture of the coin if there is one as I'm on my work pc which is heavily restricted regarding what you can view or access.

However, if you are set on cleaning the coin there are a couple of ways which are generally used.

Soak the coin in a mixture of washing up liquid and hot water to remove any caked on dirt. Which might not be the case with this one as it sounds as if it has been tumbled on a beach for some period of time.

Second is to cover the face with white vinegar and then pour salt all over the coin. this will remove oxidisation.

One I forgot to mention in the original response is to wet the coin and cover it in bicarbonate of soda. A bit more gentle than the vinegar and salt.

If you are determined to polish the coin use t-cut or brasso, both have a fine abrasive in them.

Me personally, I wouldn't clean it.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Kindest regards

Mowdie
another civil servant ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”