Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Post Reply
detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:52 pm

I just bought a cheap ultrasonic jewellery cleaner from Argos with the intention of using it on coins. It says instructions, to put the items in for 3 minutes. I can't see much cleaning of old crusty coins taking place in 3 minutes.

Have I just wasted my money?


Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 6697
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 2730 times
Been thanked: 2694 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm

I have one. Used it twice on coins. It can be vicious x;

However excellent for cleaning my own jewellery :D
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm
I have one. Used it twice on coins. It can be vicious x;

However excellent for cleaning my own jewellery :D
Do you think it was the provided solution itself that was vicious? I am really skeptical that 3 minutes of 'vibrating water' could do anything to a coin?

Did you put the coins in for the recommended 3 minutes? I put them in for 15.

Most coins I find are very crusty, and I am not sure this 'ultrasonic' cleaner is the solution.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

stevieB
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by stevieB » Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm

I had one, paid about £25 for it, waste of time wish I had read some reviews before I bought it.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 6697
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 2730 times
Been thanked: 2694 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm
I have one. Used it twice on coins. It can be vicious x;

However excellent for cleaning my own jewellery :D
Do you think it was the provided solution itself that was vicious? I am really skeptical that 3 minutes of 'vibrating water' could do anything to a coin?

Did you put the coins in for the recommended 3 minutes? I put them in for 15.

Most coins I find are very crusty, and I am not sure this 'ultrasonic' cleaner is the solution.
I used plain water with a tiny squirt of washing up liquid. Even did one with just water. Have a play with a toasted coin and test it. It can just be very harsh on copper stuff x;
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8151
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 1716 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm

stevieB wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm
I had one, paid about £25 for it, waste of time wish I had read some reviews before I bought it.
Ultrasonic cleaners are not designed for cleaning coins however they are excellent in their job of cleaning jewellery and watch straps. The above is good advice and there are several opinions relating to their suitability/unsuitability on this forum. (see 'cleaning sub-forum)
Cheers Regards ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

User avatar
Phil2401
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 688 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Phil2401 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm

The more muck you leave on the coin the better in my irrelevant view- just clean off enough to identify it.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 931 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Steve_T » Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Try a decimal newish penny and see what it does, an older coin i suspect would get knackered pretty quick,

I would follow Ph8il2401 good advice

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

sanjuro
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by sanjuro » Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm

I have tried a few of these from the cheapo ones to one costing over a hundred quid and all are useless for coins and just about anything really even my dads dentures do not get clean in them so for me a complete waste of money.

chip
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by chip » Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks to this thread I ordered an ultrasonic cleaner from amazon then promptly cancelled it :D
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

detectorman5050
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm
The more muck you leave on the coin the better in my irrelevant view- just clean off enough to identify it.

Phil
I've got a kitchen cupboard that is now almost totally occupied by an ever increasing number of crusty old copper/bronze coins of little value.

I wanted to try and clean them up, and sell them on Ebay in batches if possible.

Possibly, a flawed plan? I don't know. :-/
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Koala
Posts: 4323
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 1144 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Koala » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Moving on from cheap ultrasonic cleaners.


I did see one on a TV history program. It was an industrial one shown in the background but unfortunately not being used.

The conservatory just pointed out the equipment they use. The only ones i remeber were the ulrasonic cleaner and binocular microscope.





There was a temperature dial on the side but unable to read the setting.


I don't know which items went through this process
What temperature is used
What fluid is used
What frequency is used
How long the process takes

But it would appear that the professionals use them so have some value.

User avatar
Phil2401
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 688 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Phil2401 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Koala wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm
Moving on from cheap ultrasonic cleaners.


I did see one on a TV history program. It was an industrial one shown in the background but unfortunately not being used.

The conservatory just pointed out the equipment they use. The only ones i remeber were the ulrasonic cleaner and binocular microscope.





There was a temperature dial on the side but unable to read the setting.


I don't know which items went through this process
What temperature is used
What fluid is used
What frequency is used
How long the process takes

But it would appear that the professionals use them so have some value.
That's the point really - professionals know what to use (or so they would have us believe) - I guess most of us have a collection of crusty old coins - we know roughly what they are but can't prove it. Does it matter? For example I have a couple of perfectly formed Roman Sestertii - can't see much detail on them but I know what they are... don't need to know any more. Somebody lost them best part of 2000 years ago and I was lucky enough to find them - that's the buzz.
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

User avatar
djm666
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by djm666 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I have one I bought from amazon which has a timer that goes up to 30 minutes. I only use it to help shake off some stubborn mud from the general tat I find (buttons, etc). It can damage anything which is brittle or corroded (or plated) as it can shake off more than just mud.

To clean mud off anything delicate or valuable you can use a 10% sodium hexametaphosphate solution (I bought some on amazon or ebay, I forget which). It breaks down clay soils. Wash off any loose dirt then soak for up to 10 minutes. Be careful as some finds actually are better with a little dirt as it provides contrast for worn detail. It will affect patina if left for long periods. Stubborn dirt on Copper alloy is probably due to the dirt being attached with corrosion products. If you clean off the dirt it may not look better.

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8151
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 1716 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:15 pm

chip wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 pm
Thanks to this thread I ordered an ultrasonic cleaner from amazon then promptly cancelled it :D
Personally, I think that seems like a good decision ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Ten pence!
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 pm
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Ten pence! » Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 pm

In my experience the cheap ultrasonics don't last very long, the transducer stuck to the bottom of the tank fails, the machine takes longer and longer to to the same job before finally packing in, I ended up buying a secondhand industrial USC that works efficiently and reliably, I could fit a pair of wellies in this one!

Macroman
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Macroman » Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am

A WASTE OF MONEY.....leave it on the shelf !!!...good hunting !!.. ::g

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2972
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 1429 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Easylife » Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 am

All ultrasonic cleaners are not equal. I have a cheap one which usually a 5 second blast will remove all ingrained soil but only a few finds are suitable for this, others would lose detail. They do have their places.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 3843
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 3773 times
Been thanked: 1943 times
Contact:

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Lowland » Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 am

Hi
Rattle them about in your pockets for a week
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Quoin
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 pm
Location: yorkshire
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Quoin » Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm
Phil2401 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm
The more muck you leave on the coin the better in my irrelevant view- just clean off enough to identify it.

Phil
I've got a kitchen cupboard that is now almost totally occupied by an ever increasing number of crusty old copper/bronze coins of little value.

I wanted to try and clean them up, and sell them on Ebay in batches if possible.

Possibly, a flawed plan? I don't know. :-/
I've sold bags of copper coins on eBay. No need to clean them.

jlanders
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by jlanders » Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 am

Koala wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

What temperature is used
What fluid is used
What frequency is used
How long the process takes

The fluid, temperature and duration play a big role, this article may be useful https://www.kemet.co.uk/blog/cleaning/u ... ning-coins

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 9088
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 456 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Cheap Argos Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:20 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:52 pm
I just bought a cheap ultrasonic jewellery cleaner from Argos with the intention of using it on coins. It says instructions, to put the items in for 3 minutes. I can't see much cleaning of old crusty coins taking place in 3 minutes.

Have I just wasted my money?
To be fair to the cleaner it is not marketed as something that will spruce up a coin that has been in a field for 457 years and has at least 2 mm of crud on it
They are designed to lightly tickle your necklace chains and remove all your dead skin!!
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Post Reply

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”