Cleaning annealed silver

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
thefiggis

Cleaning annealed silver

Post by thefiggis » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm

What ho,

I never do much with silver coins other than get rid of the crud and highlight detail but I thought I'd have a bash at straightening out a rather bent, cracked and sorry-looking half groat.

Having sent it through my first attempt at the annealing process I was left with a flattish and, as I expected, a rather fetchingly pink coin. I tried bleach/pencil eraser but the pink remained noticeable. After a lot of elbow grease I got it looking acceptable but as you can see from the image below the coin still has an embarrassed look about it in some areas. There must be an easier way.

I really don't like subjecting coins to chemicals and maybe my 2:1 bleach to water solution was too weak or I should have left it in beyond the coin turning grey. Basically I might have bottled it. The quality of the silver might be a factor, I dunno, but it was a right pig to get off.

Anyone have a another method?

Watching vids on annealing (miwyons of the things) I saw that not all coins take on this pink tinge but this one did and any ideas of how to get rid of it more easily would be much appreciated.

Pip pip

::g :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Allectus

Re: Cleaning annealed silver

Post by Allectus » Sun May 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Go for longer in the bleach until it goes black. The 2:1 ratio is about right(no weaker) & will not damage the coin, then lightly use ali foil to highlight the detail. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun May 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks for that ::g

Basically, then, yup - I bottled it, dint I? Still, rather safe than sorry.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm

That actually already looks OK compared to some that get posted. ::g

Most knackered hammies that we find are financially worthless so a good case can be made for making them look presentable. That way they can be displayed or at least your coin album shuts flat!

I do still take exception to perfectly nice examples being dipped in Cillit Bang and then polished up with Brasso, as some of my fellow club members are prone to doing. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 pm

fred wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm

I do still take exception to perfectly nice examples being dipped in Cillit Bang and then polished up with Brasso, as some of my fellow club members are prone to doing. :D
O.M.flippin.G really ? x; =P~
XP Deus !!£$

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm always scared of picking the wrong chemicals and watching my hammy dissolve Lol. It's spit and foil for me, sometimes with some bicarb.

If it's bent, I pop it in boiling water for a couple of minutes then gently ease in flat with two hard and very smooth surfaces.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun May 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm
I'm always scared of picking the wrong chemicals and watching my hammy dissolve Lol. It's spit and foil for me, sometimes with some bicarb.

If it's bent, I pop it in boiling water for a couple of minutes then gently ease in flat with two hard and very smooth surfaces.

Boiling water is only 100°C and will not soften (anneal) the coin. The annealing temperature for Sterling Silver is between 593°C and 649°C.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 pm
fred wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm

O.M.flippin.G really ? x; =P~
My sobbing doesn't seem to make any difference! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Machinist wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:11 pm
Mud Max wrote:

Boiling water is only 100°C and will not soften (anneal) the coin. The annealing temperature for Sterling Silver is between 593°C and 649°C.

Ray

Much appreciated Ray. I have never annealed a coin, I just figured that making the metal hot would help it to flex.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun May 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm
Machinist wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:11 pm
Mud Max wrote:

Ray

Much appreciated Ray. I have never annealed a coin, I just figured that making the metal hot would help it to flex.
Heat only until a dull red glow without overdoing it. Coin can be straightened when cold even as the metal structure has softened. ::g
Nox 800
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6,
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon May 28, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks, all ::g

If a coin needs anything beyond a brush off it's usually just diluted ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder, foil, rub with fine sawdust and then a soak in distilled water, but this thing was a mess after annealing. After bleaching I was tempted to try bicarb paste to get rid of the pink in the low spots and then re-patinate but didn't want to stress the poor auld thing any more. I swear there were tears running down Edward's cheeks.

Anyway, as Fred says, it doesn't look too bad and now lies flat in the book. ::g

Got a Henry III penny which would be dead easy to straighten but it's in otherwise great condition with lovely patina and I'm leaving that as it is.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

fred

Post by fred » Mon May 28, 2018 8:33 am

thefiggis wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:13 am
Thanks, all ::g

If a coin needs anything beyond a brush off it's usually just diluted ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder, foil, rub with fine sawdust and then a soak in distilled water, but this thing was a mess after annealing. After bleaching I was tempted to try bicarb paste to get rid of the pink in the low spots and then re-patinate but didn't want to stress the poor auld thing any more. I swear there were tears running down Edward's cheeks.

Anyway, as Fred says, it doesn't look too bad and now lies flat in the book. ::g

Got a Henry III penny which would be dead easy to straighten but it's in otherwise great condition with lovely patina and I'm leaving that as it is.
If the nice Henry III is basically sound then it might flatten simply by placing it in a clamp with firm but soft facings and tightening it over several weeks or even months. :D
Equinox 800 x2

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon May 28, 2018 8:53 am

Cheers, Fred. I did consider "cold" flattening as I've done with a couple of others to good effect, but the Henry is barely worn and a little thicker than most other coins I've got.

It might well work, but I can read everything on it and it only makes a slight hump in the album, so I'd rather not risk it.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 pm

I've always found that the safest and most effective method of straightening hammered silver coins is achieved via the boiling water and rolling method. A softwood base is required as is a series of differing diameter wooden dowels.::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”