Vespasian fouree electrolysis

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
thefiggis

Vespasian fouree electrolysis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:24 am

The FLO thought this coin may have been fire damaged and as you can see from the "before" pics it was in a right sorry state. Figuring I had nothing to lose (even though it is a "denarius") I decided to try to get rid of the gunk stuck fast to it and got Jenkins to give it a zap (well, I wasn't going to take the blame if it all went pear-shaped).

A couple of two-minute sessions didn't do much so it was given several five-minute blasts and the muck at last started to come off.

Good decision to zap it, I think: the obverse now shows the bust and some legend while the reverse, which had been recorded as "completely illegible", now clearly shows a captive Jewess seated beneath what's left of a trophy of arms and with a portion of IUDAEA discernable in exergue.

There's a degree of understandable reluctance to apply this sort of treatment to finds but in this case it's worked well and Jenks avoided a(nother) sound thrashing. Ok, it's still in a sorry state but at least we've pinpointed exactly what it is that's in such a sorry state. :D

Pip pip ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Oxgirl36

Re: Vespasian fouree electrolysis

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 am

Interesting. Nice to have the right type of coin to experiment with. You didn’t have a lot to lose with this one =)) Very nice result ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 14 x;

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am

Excellent result and well worth it. From a disc of lumpy nothingness to a coin you can identify and see the basic details of the design. I have a few I ought to 'zap' but I never pluck up the courage. (We don't run to a Jenkins in this household and so I'd have nobody to blame.)
I have quite a few fire damaged Romans...mostly 2nd Century bronzes that have melted on one side. I suspect this may have happened when stubble-burning was all the rage a few years ago. I have a couple of manky dennies from the same era so I may feel inspired to follow your lead and zap 'em.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 pm

A nice outcome Fig. I always take the view that if something unidentifiable I'd rather know what it is. I often 'try' to resist the urge to over-clean, but the need to know always wins.

I've had a few (both silver and bronze) that I wouldn't have had the kahones to aggressively clean if it were not for the resident genii on here urging me to 'zap', but on balance the results have been positive. I don't have a Jenks, so I just blame them :D
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am
(We don't run to a Jenkins in this household)
SuperRed wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 pm
I don't have a Jenks
Oh. I thought everybody did. Lord knows how you manage :-/ I'd offer to lend you mine but he's terrifical busy at the moment, what with constant mopping up duties connected to Great Aunt's present "troubles". Eurgh.

Any road up, I believe electrolysis to be a valuable weapon in the armoury if used cautiously and what better way to test the water and gain new skills than with an otherwise worthless, manky object?

Go on - give it a bash. You've nothing to lose. Not even a Jenkins, apparently.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Good result Tf but you have got to be a bit careful with electrolysis when anything is plated for fear of just blowing it apart. Also anything with enamel is not a good idea for the old electric ::g

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 am

Good point, Phil ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”