A few questions about electrolysis...!

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Roughwood

A few questions about electrolysis...!

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 am

Good morning all.

I have decided to make my own electrolysis kit, principally to have a go at cleaning some biggish iron objects, such as a possible medieval horse shoe, and have some questions. I have consulted previous posts in this forum, but I would like to double check before I get going. ::g Don't want to kill myself or anything.

1 Is it OK to use a car battery charger instead of some other type (such as a mobile phone charger?) The reason I ask is that I have a redundant one in my garage.

I'm not an electrician, so here is the info on the label of the charger:

Input: 240V - 50Hz / Output: 12V DC
Input: 180 VA max / Output: 5.5 Adc (8A rms)

2 Do you use stainless steel for the anode?
I'm sure that I have read that you should not as it can make the electrolyte/water solution dangerous to handle/dispose of. However. lots of people appear to recommend it...

3 What is the ratio of Bicarbonate of soda/salt to water when you make up the solution?

Whilst the internet is a fantastic resource, I have found so much conflicting advice and decided that I should ask here as hopefully some of our members will possess this knowledge.

Thanks for taking a look and I look forward to your replies. :)

All the best,
Mike

Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Pinpointer

Fusion

Re: A few questions about electrolysis...!

Post by Fusion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 pm

This thread is worth a read:
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=32773

And the online iron electrolysis guides:
Sergei:
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/elec ... oval.shtml
AndysPatch:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180214172 ... h/rust.htm
(thank you Wayback Machine)

Don't use stainless steel, just use plain iron or steel. "Lots of people recommend stainless steel" - that's the internet for you, everyone has an opinion ....
:(

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you Fusion. There is a lot of info here which I shall read through tonight.
::g
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Pinpointer

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm

I've just done it with a phone charger, in a glass jar for small items like hammies, i believe depending on what u are doing a harmful gas can be produced?,and don't leave it unattended, might even pay to wear gloves / glass, or is that me being overcautious, prob pay to look right into it on a few different sites and keep charger clips well away from each other, on hammies i got similar results with just spit and baco foil without the worry ....be safer to get a wire brush out :D good luck ::g

Might be able to see the mushroom clould from where I live as u are in Norfolk :D

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Junior wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm
I've just done it with a phone charger, in a glass jar for small items like hammies, i believe depending on what u are doing a harmful gas can be produced?,and don't leave it unattended, might even pay to wear gloves / glass, or is that me being overcautious, prob pay to look right into it on a few different sites and keep charger clips well away from each other, on hammies i got similar results with just spit and baco foil without the worry ....be safer to get a wire brush out :D good luck ::g

Might be able to see the mushroom clould from where I live as u are in Norfolk :D
Thanks Junior! I'm going to wait until I'm 100% confident of avoiding the apocalypse!!
Keep an eye on the skyline though... ::g
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Pinpointer

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 pm

hello, i bought one many years ago as a full kit, proper charger/croc clip/ and stainless steel plate, very good on iron artifacts/ bronze coins, DO NOT OVER COOK just leave in solution until only the crud dissolves, dry off and smear on some micro crystal wax to preserve the item,

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Many thanks garrettoldboy! ::g
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Pinpointer

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 pm
hello, i bought one many years ago as a full kit, proper charger/croc clip/ and stainless steel plate, very good on iron artifacts/ bronze coins, DO NOT OVER COOK just leave in solution until only the crud dissolves, dry off and smear on some micro crystal wax to preserve the item,
i have done quite a few roman bronze coins, even old grots can be cleaned but as i said do not over cook as it will dissolve to nothing, try a test piece first,

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”