ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Paraloid B-72

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
staters quo

Paraloid B-72

Post by staters quo »

Does anybody have any experience or tips regarding the use of Paraloid B-72 as a stabilizing agent on ferrous objects? I have a landowner who is particularly interested in the horse shoes (to be fair, they are 13th century) and other obviously agricultural items. Of course these are all iron, so they start rusting badly once out of the ground. Now, after yesterday's dig, I'm here in my kitchen looking at a Roman horse shoe as well.

I have up until now used simple light oil to halt the oxidising process, or at least slow it down, but it evaporates quickly and the rusting begins again.

I can't say I'm convinced by the "boil it in wax" method as even this has time limitations as to its efficiency. The wax breaks down eventually and is specifically warned against by the PAS in any event.

Museums and institutions seem to use Paraloid B-72 as a stabilizer, so I'm going to give it a go. The only issue is that I want to be able to make a specific concentration (5-10%) which means I need to buy both the pellets and the acetone in which to dissolve them.

As far as I'm aware it's not possible to purchase acetone any more, at least not without MI6 bashing your door in at 4am.

So does anybody use Paraloid B-72 at all? If so can you share some insight?

Thanks all SQ

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”