Does Olive oil work? THE TEST.

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Addicted to bleeps

Does Olive oil work? THE TEST.

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Helllloooooooo all!

So, I was intrigued by the idea of using Olive oil to 'clean' coins. I got myself a small tub, and literally just poured Olive oil into it. I then plonked the coins in, and waited for 6 months.

The results are pretty good, I'd say. I think it could be even better if you left them in there for a year or two?

Anyhow, here's a before and after video for your perusal. Hope you enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhwEvsapC4

Stillburning

Re: Does Olive oil work? THE TEST.

Post by Stillburning » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Interesting video and some great results especially that halfpenny token ::g

Its also reminded me that on the back of a top shelf in a kitchen cupboard I have some roman grots that I started soaking last October, time to have a look :D

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Looks like something has changed with the structure of the coins, they have lost the softness if that makes sense?
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Cobs

Post by Cobs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:35 pm

I left some Roman coins in it for years - i forgot all about them and to be honest they hardly came out any better, later coins seem to fair better tho looking at your vid ::g
YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning - Contains Treasure n stuff

Minelab CTX 3030 / Minelab Explorer II
Treasure: 1 Gold: 2 Hammered: 2

Scratcher

Post by Scratcher » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I bought a table top grinder but fitted polishing cloth wheels works a lot faster but with better results. Newer coinage goes in the tumbler! ::g :D

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:35 pm

A born narrator, very interesting ,the token looks great ....well done thanks for sharing.......ray :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I've tried olive oil and not found any improvement to be honest, but if you have any low value copper coins or artefacts try rubbing some Danish oil on them with your fingers, only a very, very light coating mind, and let it dry before applying another coat or two, the items get slightly darker and have an attractive light sheen to them, it also prevents further oxidation, so much better that a certain propriety wax that in my opinion leaves metallic items with a sort of powdery finish that looks slightly odd.

If you want to remove the film created by the Danish oil at a later date just soak the object in white spirit for an hour or so,

jimbotrucker

Post by jimbotrucker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:35 am

Brilliant video :-)
Minelab ctx 3030.
Beach loving greyhound
Not enough time in fields :-( too far from the beach :-(
Not enough Land :-(

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 am

the coins do look good but after 4-5 years it eats in to the coins .you should never use olive oil on good coins

Modena

Post by Modena » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Daniel o' Beirnes wrote:the coins do look good but after 4-5 years it eats in to the coins .you should never use olive oil on good coins
That's a good point. Have a Google of olive oil and metal reactions. Copper and Iron can cause oxidation of the oil and most suggestions are not to store oil in metal containers. So while they look good initially, if the metal is reacting then it must cause degradation in the long term.

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:35 am

Really?

I'm getting good advice from the older fellas that have been doing this for years with no ill effect. Most have been detecting since the 70's.

None of them have mentioned this.

Has anyone got any picture examples?

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Olive oil is very hit and miss. Think it depends on the oil. One brand/batch of oil is not the same acidity as another.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 am

https://www.crustyromans.com/cleaning/
http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/restore/cleaning.html

I normally don't soak any coins in oil, Mainly because if it does not work the greasy layer left means its very difficult to do anything else

Not tried the packing tape in the second link above. Sounds like it will take the heavy crud off so any soaking should be quicker

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Ah ha, cheers for those links! ::g

So, normal olive oil rather than extra olive oil, and add a bit of lemon for a little further work. I'll be keeping an eye on those coins to see if there's any ill-effect over the next year.

I see 'he who shall not be named' has piped in on the topic. Again, I'll much prefer to take the advice of those that have been doing this for 30 years + and have god knows how much experience between them. I listen to them. A lot.

I've contacted one RE the Olive oil test to make sure his coins are still ok 20-30 years on. I'm sure he wouldn't have advised me if they weren't. I'm still open minded concerning absolute proof if anyone has it though. Pictures, videos etc rather than opinion.

::g

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Will post a few phots of some of my finds cleaned with olive oil from nealy 20 years ago when I get home for the weekend kris. Unless something drastic has happened since the last time I looked all is ok x; it's vegitable oil after all and I am sure after it dries it stops being active in any way..........or will I post some pics of piles of dust :-/ :-/ :-/

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:54 am

alloverover wrote:Will post a few phots of some of my finds cleaned with olive oil from nealy 20 years ago when I get home for the weekend kris. Unless something drastic has happened since the last time I looked all is ok x; it's vegitable oil after all and I am sure after it dries it stops being active in any way..........or will I post some pics of piles of dust :-/ :-/ :-/
i'm glad your finds are ok.but i was told by the museum you should never use olive oil .so i will not take the chance .

danmet

Post by danmet » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:09 am

Interesting thread - I'd tried olive oil but was foolishly expecting changes within a couple of weeks! That was a couple of years ago and the coins (which weren't any loss) are still in the oil - I just need to find the container with them in now (moved house since then so probably still in a box!).

If I find them I'll report back too.

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:54 am

alloverover wrote:Will post a few phots of some of my finds cleaned with olive oil from nealy 20 years ago when I get home for the weekend kris. Unless something drastic has happened since the last time I looked all is ok x; it's vegitable oil after all and I am sure after it dries it stops being active in any way..........or will I post some pics of piles of dust :-/ :-/ :-/
The proof is in the pudding. Cheers bud! ::g

batz52

Post by batz52 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Whilst at the British museum for a training course on Roman coinage a couple of years ago.
I got chatting to conservator about cleaning of coins and I asked about olive oil and she advised that cleaning with olive oil can in the long term cause great harm to the coin. she explained that whilst it may have good short term effects on the coin i.e. it brings out more detail, however as its an organic material and not designed specifically for cleaning when it starts to break down it doesn't do this evenly over the surface which creates pockets of bare metal exposed to the moisture in the air and this causes pin point areas of corrosion. These areas corrode a lot faster than if the whole coin was exposed, this will ultimately destroy the coin.
So although your test was good I would love to be able to see the same coins in about 20-30 years time if they haven't turned to dust by then 8-|
She did tell me that the best option is distilled water to clean and Renaissance wax to protect.
If no distilled water running tap water is an option.

Minelab Etrac
Minlab Pro Finder
1 Celtic bronze unit
140 Roman Coins
4 Silver Denarius
26 Hammered coins
1 Saxon Pax penny
4 Silver six Pence

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Again, the older chaps I know have had no problems with their coins 30 - 40 years on.

alloverover, will post his pictures soon as well. That'll give us a good idea of if it's worth sticking with or not.

I'm hearing what people are saying, but all I'm seeing it's loads of proof in the other corner.

could it be that the archeologist and person that works at the museum could be...just could be...wrong?

Controversial! ;)

So far, I'm sticking with it, but again I'm open to seeing firm proof it doesn't work, or does long term damage.

Return to “Cleaning Finds”