Does Olive oil work? THE TEST.

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Allectus

Re: Does Olive oil work? THE TEST.

Post by Allectus »

Personally, I only ever use de-ionised water for cleaning early bronze coins & artefacts...just soak & brush every now and then for excellent results! ::g

A ;)

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps »

Actually, they're people I respect a great deal. And for that reason, I'm out of this thread.

If you want to post those pictures my friend, I'm still very interested in seeing them. Please chuck me a PM :)

KittyHawk

Post by KittyHawk »

So, using roman grots as an example, they've been in the ground a couple thousand years give or take and obviously look a little worn - so you soak them in olive oil for a year and sure they look better for a relatively short while. Even if the "old boys" say 30-40 years later they're still ok, what about 100 yrs? Longer? (Assuming they're passed on to family / museums / landowners etc).

Maybe conservators and museum staff do know what they're talking about, (I hope so) and maybe we're a little greedy and selfish in making such an old item look better for a few short years during our life time when its actually been around, and will hopefully stay around, a lot longer than any of us.

Having said that, grots or regularly common items and coins of no value (both monetary AND historical interest) are IMHO entirely up to the owner how to preserve or restore. I just think we should be careful not to encourage blatant use of it in all cases and make your decisions carefully.
Garret 250 & Pro-pointer

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u397/Cole_Karen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

batz52

Post by batz52 »

Addicted to bleeps wrote:Again, the older chaps I know have had no problems with their coins 30 - 40 years on.

alloverover, will post his pictures soon as well. That'll give us a good idea of if it's worth sticking with or not.

I'm hearing what people are saying, but all I'm seeing it's loads of proof in the other corner.

could it be that the archeologist and person that works at the museum could be...just could be...wrong?

Controversial! ;)

So far, I'm sticking with it, but again I'm open to seeing firm proof it doesn't work, or does long term damage.
Im not knocking it, im just passing on my experiences thanks for taking time to test it ::g
Im sure this debate will roll on and on and on and on. ::g

Minelab Etrac
Minlab Pro Finder
1 Celtic bronze unit
140 Roman Coins
4 Silver Denarius
26 Hammered coins
1 Saxon Pax penny
4 Silver six Pence

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

Allectus wrote:Personally, I only ever use de-ionised water for cleaning early bronze coins & artefacts...just soak & brush every now and then for excellent results! ::g

Hi, is de-ionised water different to distilled water and if so from where do you buy it?

Thanks Tony
A ;)

Modena

Post by Modena »

Devonboy wrote:
Allectus wrote:Personally, I only ever use de-ionised water for cleaning early bronze coins & artefacts...just soak & brush every now and then for excellent results! ::g

Hi, is de-ionised water different to distilled water and if so from where do you buy it?

Thanks Tony
A ;)

Halfords 5l for £2.99

Koala

Post by Koala »

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

A ;)
More or less the same here, although if something looks a bit better than grot status I tend to put the item in an ultrasonic cleaner for a minute or so instead of giving it a scrub, the second the dirt is off out it comes.

alloverover

Post by alloverover »

These were cleaned in olive oil around 20 years ago, I know that for sure because I used to dunk everything in it.
The whole idea of the oil in my opinion was to penetrate any hard and stubborn build up and not to remove patina whilst also leaving a more uniform appearance to the item.
Having said that I very rarely use it now but then I very rarely use anything now apart from mechanical methods, I certainly havent stopped using it because I think its damaging the item though :) :) ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addicted to bleeps

Sorry, Jamie I saw your post as a dig at the old fellas, and I took it the wrong way probably.

Many apologies. rl;

Thanks for the Pics alloverover, they look bloomin fantastic!

So it seems to stand the test of time in the short term then, but as many have pointed out, it could be dodgy a few hundred years down the line. Again, as pointed out - it should only be used with discretion.

Im going to try Allectus' technique with distilled water next :)

I wonder if we Olive oil for a while, and then distilled water after to throughly clean the coin of the residue olive oil that may potentially further damage the coin?

It's all very interesting, and I've learnt a lot so thanks all. ::g ::g ::g

Metal Mad

Post by Metal Mad »

if you use soap after you olive oil it will break down any oil molecules no idea what it will do to the coin tho fair warning (i am a chemist and its also common sense haha)
List of my finds so far:............(to be added to)

Addicted to bleeps

JamieMP wrote:
Addicted to bleeps wrote:Sorry, Jamie I saw your post as a dig at the old fellas, and I took it the wrong way probably.

Many apologies. rl;
No problem, mate and truly it wasn't. Did you ever watch 'The Fast Show'? I was borrowing from a character on that. ::g
Ohhhhhhhhh! it all make sense now, ha ha! :D :D ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 »

I just use water and Renaissance wax on my good items, as per BM advice, I have experimented on rubbish coins with other methods, but would be worried about long term effects on the good items, interesting thread though and they do look good, looks like there are several factors involved to do with possible rot ?

Here is the advice from the PAS Site

https://finds.org.uk/conservation/advice/note4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://finds.org.uk/conservation/advice/note5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus v3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

alloverover

Post by alloverover »

I must say most of my cleaning regrets involve water, thats how ive ruined most things, rinsing with water and loosing all definition instantly, most stuff is better just being left dry and brushed or picked IMO.
:)) :)) having said that.......i found a few coins today and chucked them into a pot of extra virgin, the Wood's Irish halfpenny needs a bit more work but the vikki's are great :) :) ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albus

Post by Albus »

OK I'm an oldtimer been at it for years and started with a BFO machine from the original Joan Allens shop.

I dont use lemon juice, I dont use oil, I dont use distilled water.

Ive always cleaned my silvers with the foil and spit stuff then into silver dip. Some people may moan but Ive always preferred the coins in the condition they would be used in.

Once coins (silver and bronze) and artefacts are cleaned they go into hot Microcrystaline wax until they stop bubbling then they are hiked out and dropped onto kitchen roll to dab most of the wax off.

I have Roman Silver and Bronze coins found in the 70's that were treated this way and are still like the day I cleaned them. Same with the artefacts.

Microcrystaline wax can be bought in bulk bags from many detector shops and is half the price of the stuff they sell on one auction price in tins. I'm using the stuff now that I bought over 10 years ago and its still fine.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Can't say I'm a fan of microcrystaline waxes as any small pits fill up with the stiff and leave unsightly little white powdery marks that wont come out as they are below the surface, unless you dunk the item in a solvent that is.

Anyone else noticed this powdery appearance?

Biblins

Post by Biblins »

I've just ordered up some Valve Oil from eBay as I am told this has great preservation abilities on old coins, plus it doesn't turn them black like Olive oil does.

Valve Oil is used by musicians on wind instruments like trumpets and trombones etc.

I will update this once I have tried it.

Albus

Post by Albus »

Ten pence! wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of microcrystaline waxes as any small pits fill up with the stiff and leave unsightly little white powdery marks that wont come out as they are below the surface, unless you dunk the item in a solvent that is.

Anyone else noticed this powdery appearance?
Well I dont know what wax youre using but none of my coins or artefacts have any marks on them from the wax.
Have you been using that tinned stuff off the web or the proper bagged Microcrystaline wax?

I do put my coins and artefacts straight on to Kitchen roll paper and dab them a few times.

Albus

Post by Albus »

Biblins wrote:I've just ordered up some Valve Oil from eBay as I am told this has great preservation abilities on old coins, plus it doesn't turn them black like Olive oil does.
Valve Oil is used by musicians on wind instruments like trumpets and trombones etc.
As someone mentioned in another post, using any oil on coins where the surface has been corrupted by hundreds of years of various chemical actions is a pretty dodgy thing to do.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Albus.

Tinned stuff off the bay, not impressed, I've recently been using some stuff called Ballistol, it's mainly used by shooters as its safe on wood, metal and leather, a thin coating gives a gentle sheen which eventually dries to a semi matt finish, nice smell as well!

Biblins

Post by Biblins »

Biblins wrote:I've just ordered up some Valve Oil from eBay as I am told this has great preservation abilities on old coins, plus it doesn't turn them black like Olive oil does.

Here is an Half Penny which has been soaking in valve oil for less than 24 hours.

The edge is breaking up but there is a trace of original copper colour showing around his ear, rather than the black colour you get from olive oil;

Albus

Post by Albus »

Ten pence! wrote:Albus.

Tinned stuff off the bay, not impressed, I've recently been using some stuff called Ballistol, it's mainly used by shooters as its safe on wood, metal and leather, a thin coating gives a gentle sheen which eventually dries to a semi matt finish, nice smell as well!
Personally Ive tried the tinned stuff and I wasnt impressed. I bought a large plastic bag of microcrystaline beads and melted down into a saucepan where they have been well used for years.
I always dab the excess off though.

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”