Jenolite ??

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
gixer08

Jenolite ??

Post by gixer08 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Has anyone tried Jenolite rust remover for remeoving rust from the likes of an old horseshoe ??
Just wondered if its any good for removing heavy rust .
Ive tried Electrolysis but it seems to take forever , constantly replacing gummed up anodes and solution .
Thanks Gixer

oldartefact

Re: Jenolite ??

Post by oldartefact » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:07 pm

I would imagine the stuff is expensive, when I did up my raleigh twenty the cost of the cleaning polishes and rust removers were greater than the cost of the bike, and were even then pretty much useless.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

bsabill

Post by bsabill » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Gixer08
For removing rust on iron, use vinegar it is cheap
and you can get big bottles of it at good super markets
remove the item after 24 hours, wash and use a wire brush
to clean off the soft rust, and replace in new vinegar if needed
Bill

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Good advice above.
I’ve found through lack of anything else handy
That the oven cleaner kits from the pound shop
With the thick bottle of nasty whatever it is-
Is absolute dynamite for heavy rust-funky ploughshares included.
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

gixer08

Post by gixer08 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Many thanks for the replies guys i will give each method a try to see if one is better than the rest .
BTW The Jenolite costs about £18 for a litre bottle and it gets decent reviews but most of these are based on light rust and not what we find on iron coming out of the ground , hence the question before i parted with my hard earned
Gixer

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi gixer08
On another thread running at the moment
The electrolysis really works one.
Koala has posted up some pictures of a horseshoe that was caked
And it looks amazing after a zap...
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 pm

White malt vinegar,leave it fully submerged for a day or 2,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 pm

coal digger wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 pm
White malt vinegar,leave it fully submerged for a day or 2,cd ::g
Then whack plenty of wd 40 on it before it flash rusts.
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 pm

The active ingredient in Jenolite is phosphoric Acid. And the problem with consumer branded stuff is that it's 1.) a weak dilution ..so that little Tommy doesn't dissolve daddy's car when he's helping. 2.) supplied as a gel so that it doesn't run off near-vertical surfaces like door skins, and 3.) it is expensive for the amount you get.

However a company up in Scotland called Bonnymans (look it up on the internet) sold me 5 ltrs of 85% proof phosphoric acid for £22.50 + Vat ..admittedly that was 5 years ago now, when I had a business restoring post-war Sunbeam motorcycles. They sent it down by courier. I have no idea what the price is now, nor whether they will sell to individuals.

I think Jenolite uses this acid diluted to 15%

Bonnyman's has the advantage that is water-like in viscosity, so creeps inbetween flakes of rust very much easier. Pour two measures of water from a small jam-jar into an old plastic bucket and then one measure of this acid into that ..for a 2-parts water to 1-part acid mix. N.B. always add chemicals to water, not the other way around. And then slip your horseshoe into that. Every hour or two swirl it around with a stick so fresh acid gets to the ferrous.

I'd use this 2:1 dilution for cleaning sheet metal parts of the old motorcycles or classic cars I work on.
P1230868as.jpg
Ami inner front wing_s.jpg
N.B. I also 'retrieve' salt-water rusted tools from the skip down at the marina. I clean them up before taking them down to 'Tools with a Mission' ..a very good 3rd-world helping charity. And if I were cleaning a heavier item like these or a horseshoe then I'd probably use a 1 : 1 (water : acid) mix to save time.

Wire brush the horseshoe clean before placing it in the acid. With a horseshoe it may take a couple or more treatments of 6 hours at time for you to be happy with it. When you pull it out, just scrub the horseshoe off under running water or in a bucket of fresh water. An old floor type scrubbing brush and/or the wire brush again will do fine. It not terribly dangerous stuff but you wouldn't want it in your eyes or in an open cut - so wear glasses and long chemical proof gloves (the sort used for oven cleaning should be fine).

Once washed the item needs to be dried quickly ..such as ; wiped dry with a rag and then placed on a warm radiator. You need to decide how to protect the bare iron or steel from further corrosion after its stripped naked. For motorcycle and car parts I paint them. You'll want to think about this before you clean the rust off.

The acid can be used time and again even when dirty, by storing it in a big old glass coffee jar and letting the sediment settle out. Appropriately label the jar and kept it away from young children as a Safety precaution. Don't use a jar with a metal lid because six months later you'll come back to find that the lid has disappeared (it will have dissolved).

Sorry, I haven't got photos of the badly rusty tools I've cleaned up nicely, but my last computer's hard-drive crashed ..just before I did my New Year backup, and I lost those piccies.

Nevertheless I hope the above notes help,

Bfg ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bfg on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

BazButtons

Post by BazButtons » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Jenolite was brilliant for cleaning the gas plug on the slr and gpmg

gixer08

Post by gixer08 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 am

Bfg wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 pm
The active ingredient in Jenolite is phosphoric Acid. And the problem with consumer branded stuff is that it's 1.) a weak dilution ..so that little Tommy doesn't dissolve daddy's car when he's helping. 2.) supplied as a gel so that it doesn't run off near-vertical surfaces like door skins, and 3.) it is expensive for the amount you get.

However a company up in Scotland called Bonnymans (look it up on the internet) sold me 5 ltrs of 85% proof phosphoric acid for £22.50 + Vat ..admittedly that was 5 years ago now, when I had a business restoring post-war Sunbeam motorcycles. They sent it down by courier. I have no idea what the price is now, nor whether they will sell to individuals.

I think Jenolite uses this acid diluted to 15%

Bonnyman's has the advantage that is water-like in viscosity, so creeps inbetween flakes of rust very much easier. Pour two measures of water from a small jam-jar into an old plastic bucket and then one measure of this acid into that ..for a 2-parts water to 1-part acid mix. N.B. always add chemicals to water, not the other way around. And then slip your horseshoe into that. Every hour or two swirl it around with a stick so fresh acid gets to the ferrous.

I'd use this 2:1 dilution for cleaning sheet metal parts of the old motorcycles or classic cars I work on.
Ami inner front wing_s.jpg

N.B. I also 'retrieve' salt-water rusted tools from the skip down at the marina. I clean them up before taking them down to 'Tools with a Mission' ..a very good 3rd-world helping charity. And if I were cleaning a heavier item like these or a horseshoe then I'd probably use a 1 : 1 (water : acid) mix to save time.

Wire brush the horseshoe clean before placing it in the acid. With a horseshoe it may take a couple or more treatments of 6 hours at time for you to be happy with it. When you pull it out, just scrub the horseshoe off under running water or in a bucket of fresh water. An old floor type scrubbing brush and/or the wire brush again will do fine. It not terribly dangerous stuff but you wouldn't want it in your eyes or in an open cut - so wear glasses and long chemical proof gloves (the sort used for oven cleaning should be fine).

Once washed the item needs to be dried quickly ..such as ; wiped dry with a rag and then placed on a warm radiator. You need to decide how to protect the bare iron or steel from further corrosion after its stripped naked. For motorcycle and car parts I paint them. You'll want to think about this before you clean the rust off.

The acid can be used time and again even when dirty, by storing it in a big old glass coffee jar and letting the sediment settle out. Appropriately label the jar and kept it away from young children as a Safety precaution. Don't use a jar with a metal lid because six months later you'll come back to find that the lid has disappeared (it will have dissolved).

Sorry, I haven't got photos of the badly rusty tools I've cleaned up nicely, but my last computer's hard-drive crashed ..just before I did my New Year backup, and I lost those piccies.

Nevertheless I hope the above notes help,

Bfg ::g
Many thanks for the very informative reply Bfg , always good to have alternatives and i will most certainly be in touch with Bonnymans . I had a quick look at their web page there and they do an impressive array of products .
Regards Gixer

gixer08

Post by gixer08 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 am

BazButtons wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm
Jenolite was brilliant for cleaning the gas plug on the slr and gpmg
It was a military guy that put me onto Jenolite for the same reasons you mentioned BazButtons , up until that id never heard of the stuff ;)

Dodo

Post by Dodo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 pm

i use toilet cleaner(black Harpic) to be honest and its doing the job perfectly.

Return to “Cleaning Finds”