sixpunce for m' trouble sir ?

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
Bfg

sixpunce for m' trouble sir ?

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Last weekend me and m' mate ET (..a Minelab E-Trac) found a silver sixpence from 1900 Queen Victoria, and today I wanted to try clean it up a bit. Not too much you understand but just enough to make it a pretty little coin rather than a tarnished metal disc. It has after all survived almost 120 years, most of which was in the ground with cows and sheep doing their thing over it.! If only out of sentimental respect - it would be nice to treat it to a bit of spit n' polish.

As a test I taped the coin to the inside of an ice cream carton lid - with just half of it exposed for cleaning. I used fine polishing compound from car valeting, which is also known as paint restorer, and used a small natural-hair brush (most likely the cleaning brush from my mum's old sewing machine) to scrub the very-fine paste into the features of this coin. I did this for ten minutes in all, turning the coin as I went ..every 20 seconds or so, so the bristles would come in at different angles. That was easily done by rotating the carton lid. I was thinking to myself - "this is a task I could easily do while also watching TV ". .
P1270114 (600 x 450).jpg
In its 'best light' ..held up to the window, this is what it used to look like 'before' ..tarnished and dull but clearly identifiable as a worn six-pence. .
P1270108a.jpg
And this is what it looked like after cleaning with the brush for 10 minutes . .
P1270116.JPG
^ no definition had been lost, only the softer oxidisation has been removed. The fine (quite soft) brush cleaned nicely into the minute pitting and voids around the text and features, but did not polish it.
And then I polished that (with the same polishing compound applied to a J-cloth), just for a couple of minutes. Not too much but just enough to help highlights the raised features. .
P1270118a.jpg
^ I deliberately didn't want to over polish this coin, but still the final piccie (as direct comparison to 'before') don't do the results justice. It's now best seen just laying on the dining room table when the slight polishing catches the light. Naturally it is still pitted from its years in the ground, but now is easily recognisable as six-punce .. not overly shiny, but rather very similar to how it might have looked just before it was lost.

I believe we're limited to four piccies a day, so tomorrow I'll add another of it ..sitting on the dining room table to show it's now pleasant sheen .

Bfg ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

oldartefact

Re: sixpunce for m' trouble sir ?

Post by oldartefact » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Many thanks for a very informative post ::g ::g
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Great post...... ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:29 pm

That’s Come up well
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks chaps,

Here's another piccie, under lamp light, which although low resolution shows its now normal shine.. As you can see it's very clean of the tarnishing but not overly polished or glitzy . .
P1270124a (600 x 409).jpg
The penny I still need to work on, but first impression is that polishing compound is not abrasive enough to get rid of the copper oxide, which seems to be as hard if not more so than the bare copper itself. Most of the sheen you see came from scrubbing with on old n' tired kitchen scouring pad (on the back of a washing up sponge). That's plenty shiny enough (..for me) but I'd like to clean off the green oxidisation from around the rim's letters and date. I'll let you know how I do that..when I know myself.

Bfg ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Twit

Post by Twit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Lowland wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:29 pm
That’s Come up well
Braw cauld kail het again wi the kipper's knickers.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Twit wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm
Lowland wrote:
That’s Come up well
Warning -off topic kipper remarks will be removed
Pmsl ;))
What on Earth are kippers knickers?

On an on topic note..the best results I’ve had with silver victorias that
Would benefit from a touch up
Has been dead flat tinfoil-just brings up the high spots and
Leaves the toning on the rest.
Obviously All coins are different .
Bleach can also be an interesting experiment on slick viccys.

Twit

Post by Twit » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 am

Lowland wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:01 pm
Twit wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm
Lowland wrote:
That’s Come up well
Warning -off topic kipper remarks will be removed
Pmsl ;))
What on Earth are kippers knickers?

On an on topic note..the best results I’ve had with silver victorias that
Would benefit from a touch up
Has been dead flat tinfoil-just brings up the high spots and
Leaves the toning on the rest.
Obviously All coins are different .
Bleach can also be an interesting experiment on slick viccys.
Glaswegian for bees knees etc..... but clearly the sentence can mean ten different things, so I was laughing my socks off after posting .... been laughing on and off all evening and I think they will put me away.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 am

...and I hope you took no offence BFG for our small escapade, it was not meant at your expense or that of your post ( the base meaning of the phrase being " a handsome cold coin warmed up with the business" ) . Apologies if needed.

(And I agree that some coins benefit from attention - happy you are making finds as those two are nice )

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:05 am

Twit wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 am
...and I hope you took no offence BFG for our small escapade, it was not meant at your expense or that of your post ( the base meaning of the phrase being " a handsome cold coin warmed up with the business" ) . Apologies if needed.

(And I agree that some coins benefit from attention - happy you are making finds as those two are nice )

Ditto ::g

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:04 pm

IMHO looked nicer before cleaning with dark/light contrast ::g :)

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:58 am

Twit wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 am
...and I hope you took no offence BFG for our small escapade, it was not meant at your expense or that of your post ( the base meaning of the phrase being " a handsome cold coin warmed up with the business" ) . Apologies if needed. (And I agree that some coins benefit from attention - happy you are making finds as those two are nice )
Thank you Twit and Lowland, no offense taken by the escapade. I'm all in favour of a bit of joviality and diversion ..even though (aside from your explanation re. bees knees) I have absolutely no idea what you Glaswegians were talking about. :D

Batman. no problem with your opinion.. Some like with mud still on, others just washed under the tap, others still with a scrubbing, those like me prefer a clean and very modest sheen, while there are some who might like a high polish. I'm very glad we are free to be individual. ::g

Personally I might choose to clean one coin or artifact and yet not another. Each is a subjective decision.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm

One of my favourite coins is a blank cleaned blank. I usually don't touch older coins, but the one in question, a rough shaped hand cut copper, had no detail at all on the patina. After cleaning it to metal, which was unpitted.... it still had no detail, just a couple of very vague ridges, I guess like that from use as the patina was hard but not thick. Now it feels like it wants to go back into circulation, and as no one will accept it nowadays I have to settle with being in the time it was used, and peer down at what modern money is as something less (which it is)..... just to return the favour.

Return to “Cleaning Finds”