ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Rare Henry I Halfpenny Value and Better Pictures

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Atral

Rare Henry I Halfpenny Value and Better Pictures

Post by Atral »

Hi all,
I posted a strange looking hammered about a month ago, and Allectus ID'd it as a very rare Henry I Halfpenny. There was quite a lot of interest in it, so I thought I'd upload some better pictures and see if anyone can give me an estimated value.

ImageImage

For people interested, here is some further information on this type of coin, found here:
Following the death of William Rufus, his younger brother Henry claimed the throne of England. Notably, there was a period of monetary crisis during the reign, which led to a public lack of confidence in the quality of the coinage minted. Round halfpennies (as opposed to cut pennies) were struck at a range of mints during the reign, this example at Winchester. The obverse shows a facing head with pellet hair; the reverse a small cross potent with four pellets within each angle.
In sum, 8 of the now 12 known round halfpence of Henry I are in institutions
I know that the coin isn't in the kind of condition that collectors would usually be interested in, but considering its rarity I'm wondering if it's still valuable. Any thoughts would be appreciated ::g

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”