Rare Henry I Halfpenny Value and Better Pictures

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Atral

Rare Henry I Halfpenny Value and Better Pictures

Post by Atral » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi all,
I posted a strange looking hammered about a month ago, and Allectus ID'd it as a very rare Henry I Halfpenny. There was quite a lot of interest in it, so I thought I'd upload some better pictures and see if anyone can give me an estimated value.

ImageImage

For people interested, here is some further information on this type of coin, found here:
Following the death of William Rufus, his younger brother Henry claimed the throne of England. Notably, there was a period of monetary crisis during the reign, which led to a public lack of confidence in the quality of the coinage minted. Round halfpennies (as opposed to cut pennies) were struck at a range of mints during the reign, this example at Winchester. The obverse shows a facing head with pellet hair; the reverse a small cross potent with four pellets within each angle.
In sum, 8 of the now 12 known round halfpence of Henry I are in institutions
I know that the coin isn't in the kind of condition that collectors would usually be interested in, but considering its rarity I'm wondering if it's still valuable. Any thoughts would be appreciated ::g

f8met

Re: Rare Henry I Halfpenny Value and Better Pictures

Post by f8met » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm

You may be better off doing a web search or contacting coin dealers direct. There is a British hammered coin facebook page. There are a number of dealers on there who can give you a fair value. I find valuing hammered to be a minefield of rarity and condition.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 24 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Atral

Post by Atral » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 pm

f8met wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm
You may be better off doing a web search or contacting coin dealers direct. There is a British hammered coin facebook page. There are a number of dealers on there who can give you a fair value. I find valuing hammered to be a minefield of rarity and condition.
Thanks, I'll look into the page you suggested. I have done a few searches and found some auctions / sales of similar coins, but like you mentioned, condition plays a big factor in value and I have no idea how to assess that.

stupot

Post by stupot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Absolutely brilliant coin find. Just what this hobby has been top at doing for many years, filling in the numismatic record. Top class stuff..

Mike. T.

Post by Mike. T. » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:31 pm

::g

This one is listed at £1,500 in Fine condition according to my 2011 Spink. I'd say this is below fine, but most of his coins weren't well struck in the first place. In any case it's great to find such a rare coin whatever the condition or value.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Very difficult to say and the condition is certainly against it, however, most of the ones that I can find are not up to much. Formal descriptions of the condition are not really valid for coins of this age and rarity. What you need to ascertain is what condition any others that have actually been sold in the last decade or two were in. Best of luck.

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/799081

http://www.yorkcoins.com/jcn37_-_henry_ ... fpenny.htm

https://www.spink.com/lot/19026000666
Equinox 800 x2

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:54 pm

http://hammered-farthings.co.uk/ sorry if you already have this , very good site for farthings ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”