Valuation??

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Malkins

Valuation??

Post by Malkins »

Morning,
Earlier in the year i found this quite nice Philip and Mary coin and I've been trying to get an estimate on the value. I don't want to sell it but want to give the landowner half the value. Best quote I've had is £40 -80 from a dealer which I would have thought was a bit low and i want to give a fair share to the owner. Anyone have any ideas on getting a better valuation please?
TIA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thefiggis

Re: Valuation??

Post by thefiggis »

"Quite nice"? That's a stunner, even allowing for the slight damage ::g

I'm no expert in this sort of thing but I rather think it's worth a great deal more than you were quoted.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Bors

Post by Bors »

The condition as far as a value is concerned does indeed impact upon its "value".
Your coin is nibbled and has been bent slightly. The bent aspect of it can be straightened but the nibbles can`t be replaced.

Your problem with its value from dealers is that most dealers are not going to give you its true value. They take off their cut or profit margin ,and leave you with the rest as an offer of its worth TO THEM .
I`m no expert in valuation by any means but I`d say for an approximate value going by the monarch , if I personally were asked, I`d suggest offering the farmer his half being a very generous £60 ,based on its condition as it stands .So thats valuing it at £120.
Had it been not nibbled or bent, it would be worth a great deal more.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv »

Malkins wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 am
Morning,
Earlier in the year i found this quite nice Philip and Mary coin and I've been trying to get an estimate on the value. I don't want to sell it but want to give the landowner half the value. Best quote I've had is £40 -80 from a dealer which I would have thought was a bit low and i want to give a fair share to the owner. Anyone have any ideas on getting a better valuation please?
TIA.
IMO, £90-120-maybe a little more. This is a great strike for the type. The portrait is lovely but the chip and crease is an issue.

My advice if you're ever selling anything is not to sell to dealers, but instead sell directly to collectors who will appreciate the coin for what it is and value it being a part of their collection. You will get a better price and won't suffer the annoyance of seeing your piece being sold on and on for progressively higher amounts than you let it go for!
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

ninja nige

Post by ninja nige »

hi,
nice coin
i would offer the landowner the coin and you get £70.....or you keep coin and he gets £70.
i have done that or give them another good find of equal ish value .
nige
.MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Valuations are always going to be difficult. Something is only ever worth what someone else will actually pay for it (rather than a valuation). Dealers will give you a valuation based upon having to find a buyer and take their cut (typically a quarter to a third less), auctions are only an estimate and you need to take their charges into account.

I found a couple of nice coins last year that were worth more than the usual. I never sell my finds either, but I showed them to the landowner (and to be fair, he didn't ask for any money). I asked a couple of dealers for a price, looked on auction sites (which were usually what they were valued at rather than sold prices). I was offered several times those valuations by a private collector I know, but as I said they are not for sale. The landowner took the same view as me: he would never have known they were there, I did the work in finding them, they mean far more to me than to him. He was pleased that I had recorded them and been honest in showing them to him and, as I would never have bought them anyway, I gave him 50 quid. He's happy with a bonus, I love them in my collection and I gave him and his wife a Christmas hamper last week. Everyone's happy.

If I were you, I'd get a rough estimate and pay him whatever they are worth to you in keeping it.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Malkins

Post by Malkins »

Thanks to you all for you replies. I'm going to give him £70. I'm sure he'll be ok with that plus a couple of bottles of wine for Christmas!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

Malkins wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:51 pm
Thanks to you all for you replies. I'm going to give him £70. I'm sure he'll be ok with that plus a couple of bottles of wine for Christmas!
Spot on approach.. and power to your elbow.. many of the guys at the club took the attitude "pay as little as you can" .. but my approach has always been "pay as much as you feel is right.. and then add some". Good luck.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”