Anthropomorphic Sword/Dagger Pommel and Guard

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
freewheeler

Anthropomorphic Sword/Dagger Pommel and Guard

Post by freewheeler »

Hiya, Last year I was lucky enough to find this, not knowing what it was (because of the curl at the rear of the head I thought it may be an elephants trunk and so had some connection with Ganesh), I took it along to my club meeting that evening and was given the correct ID. A member who is a long standing detectorist and whose opinion I respect stated that this was a once in a lifetime find and that I would never see another, (he's probably right cos I'm knocking on a bit lol). Anyway I reported the find with the FLO and she was very excited,took my photo with it and featured it on the FB page and a student studying for a masters degree took measurements and photos to use in her dissertation. I have scoured the net and can find nothing identical to it, there are similar ones on the PAS but not really the same. The condition is not pristine but it's been in the ground for 2000 years so it's to be expected. It dates from 300 bc to 100 ad, so after this preamble, could anyone give me any contacts where I might get a valuation for the item please?
pommelfront.jpg
pommelback.jpg
P1010161.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: Anthropomorphic Sword/Dagger Pommel and Guard

Post by fred »

Very nice. Quite a lot of them seem to have been found all across Europe over the years. ::g

https://www.bmimages.com/preview.asp?image=01612922461

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/394065036127538242/

https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/ ... b_2_3.html

I can't find a similar one having been sold but whole swords are £2-3K (bottom link) so probably in the low to mid hundreds. :D
Last edited by fred on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave »

Not seen one of those before.
Interesting to see the complete thing in the British Museum link, provided by Fred.
Great find, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

freewheeler

Post by freewheeler »

Thanks for that gents. That's the problem I had Fred, nothing to compare it to for valuation.
It is a great find Dave as you say, Doncaster museum were interested in it being donated but never offered any money. I was going to sell it for some holiday spends but with this virus doing the rounds, chances are I won't be going on holiday anyway lol.

fred

Post by fred »

freewheeler wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:56 pm
Thanks for that gents. That's the problem I had Fred, nothing to compare it to for valuation.
It is a great find Dave as you say, Doncaster museum were interested in it being donated but never offered any money. I was going to sell it for some holiday spends but with this virus doing the rounds, chances are I won't be going on holiday anyway lol.

It appears to have signs of bronze disease so it probably needs expert conservation, which will soon eat up any 'profit'. Funnily enough I was wondering earlier how Coronavirus will affect things like auctions, especially if the economy dramatically slows down. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”