ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Recommendations for an auction valuation

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Mac91

Recommendations for an auction valuation

Post by Mac91 »

So today I finally got my valuation through from the British museum for the 8thC brooch I found over 2 years ago.

I never expected anything mad for it as it's in poor condition, but I thought it might have been a little higher.

For a bit of background, it's a pseudo penannular silver brooch with gold filigree. They've said it's one of fewer than a dozen brooches of such high decoration. An estimate of £850-1100 has been put on it, although I thought it would have been a little bit more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in it for the love of history and as a hobby; I'm more interested in seeing it on display than the valuation. But at the same time I don't want to be taken for a mug.

Would it be worth getting an independent valuation, or am I just being silly? If not, any recommendations on a particular auction house?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 32 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”