Recommendations for an auction valuation

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Spooky

Re: Recommendations for an auction valuation

Post by Spooky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Perfectly reasonable question from the poster and really cant see why there would be any negative comments .. if in doubt just ask, its what forums like this are for surely. Hey nice find btw and good luck !! ::g ={~#

Quid adfers? LXXXIII viverra anulum tizer !

Nox 800
15" coil
CMD Carbon Fibre stem

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Nope OA. You frequently make this assertion about Auctions.
In this case You (or I or anyone else) have NO idea what the hammer would have come down at auction. So no, you would not have had a £300 hit on £1800 necessarily. Your costs would be commensurate with whatever the hammer price was. It could have been less, or considerably more.

Besides, who says the item must be sold through an Auction house? Lots of ways of skinning this particular cat.

The finder does NOT have 'Zero Expenses' either. x; x; You have to fund your machine and kit, you factor in your time and effort getting it to point of sale, petrol, and cost too if you are paying to dig. Plus you have to pay half to the land-owner. Then, as you have said yourself, there are fees if you Auction.

Dear me.
I'm for the original poster getting as much as he possibly can for this item. Totally. I have no qualms about it. I would expect others within the hobby to be happy with this.

And as for the repeated mantra of 'independent assessors or experts'...No-one is ever independent. They are ALL employed by, funded by, appointed by, given the gig by, given some influence by...someone. And that someone is the person who can end it all.You are an 'independent expert' and give consistently high valuations? Well you clearly risk being off the roster and losing out on the expenses paid trips to London and whatever else comes by the way from these things.
My husband served on the 'Independent' arbitration scheme funded by the Pub Companies. No prizes whatsoever for guessing that those industry experts who showed too much sympathy with the pub tenants were not asked back again.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:10 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm
Nope OA. You frequently make this assertion about Auctions.
In this case You (or I or anyone else) have NO idea what the hammer would have come down at auction. So no, you would not have had a £300 hit on £1800 necessarily. Your costs would be commensurate with whatever the hammer price was. It could have been less, or considerably more.

Besides, who says the item must be sold through an Auction house? Lots of ways of skinning this particular cat.

The finder does NOT have 'Zero Expenses' either. x; x; You have to fund your machine and kit, you factor in your time and effort getting it to point of sale, petrol, and cost too if you are paying to dig. Plus you have to pay half to the land-owner. Then, as you have said yourself, there are fees if you Auction.

Dear me.
I'm for the original poster getting as much as he possibly can for this item. Totally. I have no qualms about it. I would expect others within the hobby to be happy with this.

And as for the repeated mantra of 'independent assessors or experts'...No-one is ever independent. They are ALL employed by, funded by, appointed by, given the gig by, given some influence by...someone. And that someone is the person who can end it all.You are an 'independent expert' and give consistently high valuations? Well you clearly risk being off the roster and losing out on the expenses paid trips to London and whatever else comes by the way from these things.
My husband served on the 'Independent' arbitration scheme funded by the Pub Companies. No prizes whatsoever for guessing that those industry experts who showed too much sympathy with the pub tenants were not asked back again.
I may be wrong Jan, but the BM value is based on the auction valuation (or something quite similar), rather than a retail valuation .. and nothing in between, Totally right ... one doesnt know what will happen at auction, but one can make an informed assessment; where there have been auction sales of similar items... My real life example was particular to me, and every item and every sale will be subject to its own unique set of circumstances. I was just trying to show and explain the wide apparent disparity of "values" for a simple ring. My find of the year for the NCMD Yorkshire comp (edit ... and came 1st) an iron age fitting, has been valued at £0. Yesterday on Antiques Road trip, a very rare biscuit tin which would sell for £200, sold for £50 because of its condition.
I guess that the BM valuation process is exactly what it is, they are often dealing with unique items so have alot of variables to juggle, and I guess little time to do it, luckily they have built in an appeals process, so are always willing to listen to the views of others.
I dont blame anyone here, whatever side of the fence one stands, whether one wants to question BM valuations or not, its all a matter of individual choice... "Happy days" as we would say in Banking.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Value Your finds Forum”